Dinkleberg's GMod
??? - Printable Version

+- Dinkleberg's GMod (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site)
+-- Forum: Discord (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Forum: Discord Staff Applications (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Forum: Discord Staff Application Archive (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+----- Forum: Denied (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+----- Thread: ??? (/showthread.php?tid=17482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: ??? - reinaberg - 11-21-2022

(11-21-2022, 10:10 PM)J@CK XDDD Wrote: -1 This is just not something I feel like you should be doing right now you just got your tmod back and have a history that makes people just not sure if this is the right move at the moment. I think you should wait more when applying for this position especially considering you just got promoted on ttt. I also am concerned that if trolling is going on that actually is effecting someone but you find it normal online "banter" you might not act on it bc you dont see it as a big deal. Those are my thoughts :)

I’m confused. He just got promoted in another part of the community, which shows he’s likely a competent staff member. His negative behavior is part of his history, meaning there’ve been no issues for a while now. Which part of those two things demonstrates anything other than growth and improvement? As a staff member for ~5 months, I haven’t had an issue with Laced’s behavior, so there are no ongoing issues with trolling or toxicity on the server. 

on a different note, +1 to jammin’s resignation :3

RE: ??? - Deadpoolz - 11-21-2022

Coming from resident hivemind memeber, I think laced is good ttt staff. That being said discord is a different beast. I will say though laced is very active in the discord and would probably be good staff. The argument seems to be about his demeanor. Since there is clearly personal bias around that, I won't comment. I'm just gonna nit-pick for a sec

(11-21-2022, 09:51 PM)Salty Wrote: and/or block people you disagree with.

I never have seen the issue with blocking people that actually annoy you. I understand it can interfer with staffing, but the block command is a quality of life cheat-code that allows me to block people like saitama and black cat. I would not have survived without it.

Now I can post my shit post as I have made a genuine post:
NO HEAD?
BUT IT'S MONDAY?

[Image: MEyT1Tg.png]

RE: ??? - bunniey - 11-21-2022

I am here to change my thoughts. I am of the opinion that this man has the makings of a fine staff member. But if there is any true doubts, a single month trial staff would be fine, much like some people's trial unbanning from the forums, that in a months time another thread would be made to give comments on how it went. This would be fair, and let everyone address any concerns that came up in his staffing.

Now that that's out of the way

i made a hot pocket :)

RE: ??? - Birddog6 - 11-22-2022

Alright, I'm going to again break my abrasive and trollish character I've been building for the past few (years?) months here. So first, let me start by asking people reading this post, a rhetorical question.

What is this person asking to be, and is it a big deal?

My answer, and it may different than yours, is *not really*. This person wants to help enforce the rules in place that we all agree to follow. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, I wouldn't want to do it, and I often joke about the people who do, but I know that moderation is necessary in internet forums and chatrooms.

I've seen a lot of personal gripes and very vaguely worded answers here without much context other than things like someone saying

"-1, don't see this as a good personality fit given the type of person someone has to be to mod discord" with no real elaboration. What causes their personality to be bad?

I think if you're going to -1 by citing personal gripes or instances of disagreements, I think context for people like me, who just play on the server and see an application, should be given. It helps people like me, who don't understand the backstory or disagreements, form an opinion based around the facts presented to us. Things like screenshots or chatlogs of bad behavior or poor decision making would make a better argument than "I don't think this person is good for staff". A lot of people in this thread, who I get along with, have a disagreement or don't like his behavior. I don't know the backstory, and I don't know the guy beyond I see him doing staff stuff in TTT and him slaying me once and a while for oopsies. 

That being said, I want to give this guy an honest run. After all, this is a Discord Moderator position, not exactly promoting someone to being CEO. If he fucks up, or has bad behavior, his rank and privileges are removed. I fail to see how that could be a *HUGE* issue.  The fact that he's already staff in some capacity means that the community has some faith in him. 

+1

RE: ??? - Ryan722 - 11-22-2022

I've had no issues with Laced's staffing abilities on TTT--he's quick and effective in spotting and punishing for racism, inappropriate conversations, etc., which strikes me as being the important skill set for Discord staff.

As I spoke to in my response to his Tmod app, I recognize that Laced can be blunt. While I don't think it's reached the extent of being disrespectful, if people are actively voicing to you that it comes across in a way that they don't like, maybe it's worth reevaluating how you respond to people, even if you find their takes to be "abnormally bad". Sometimes it's worth giving people a little extra kindness.

Also I'm not sure if there's some explicit Discord staff protocol regarding this, but I'm of the opinion that Discord staff shouldn't have people who are in the Discord blocked. That seems like it would prevent one from being able to effectively moderate. I've been informed that you can block someone and still see the messages they send in the server, so disregard this point.

Anyway all that being said, I'm personally a +1 as I have faith in Laced's ability to staff and feel he would make a good contribution to moderating the Discord. At the same time, I think it's worth listening to what people say about how you come across to them (even if you think they have shitty takes) and maybe making some changes accordingly.

RE: ??? - reinaberg - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 05:30 AM)Salty Wrote: -snip-

this is a staff application, not an opportunity for you to publicly flame someone for blocking you. please keep things civil.

RE: ??? - lacer - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 10:36 AM)Ryan722 Wrote: but I'm of the opinion that Discord staff shouldn't have people who are in the Discord blocked. That seems like it would prevent one from being able to effectively moderate.

I personally don't see this as a major issue. Discord does give you the option to see the messages of someone you have blocked. I can live with seeing the messages of people I don't want anything to do with if it means I can staff better.

RE: ??? - Ryan722 - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 11:25 AM)Laced Xanax Wrote: I personally don't see this as a major issue. Discord does give you the option to see the messages of someone you have blocked. I can live with seeing the messages of people I don't want anything to do with if it means I can staff better.

Ah I didn't know this, ty :) Edited my message to reflect

RE: ??? - reinaberg - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 11:59 AM)Salty Wrote: -snip-

not everything needs to devolve into an argument. please just pick your battles and move on so the app can continue getting feedback.

RE: ??? - Jammin - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 11:46 AM)Ryan722 Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 11:25 AM)Laced Xanax Wrote: I personally don't see this as a major issue. Discord does give you the option to see the messages of someone you have blocked. I can live with seeing the messages of people I don't want anything to do with if it means I can staff better.

Ah I didn't know this, ty :) Edited my message to reflect
Just clarifying, this is not something I have as a rule right now. we don't have a large staff team, but even within our staff team, we sometimes delegate someone else when one of my team members has conflict of interest.
Hasn't happened in a while though