Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My thoughts on PH staff ranks (and ranks in general)
You and I have discussed this on several occasions, and I have to say we wholeheartedly agree on the viewpoints of the staff totem pole.

Trusted is an entry level position, things like forum engagement and ban requests are great and all but if that is the only reason you're denying someone... that's asinine. What's more important is the rapport they have with the people on the server. They're not going to listen to someone just because they make ban requests on the forums or have regular interaction on here (90% of our player base almost never uses these forums anyway). They're going to listen to someone they respect.

Trusted going for Test Moderator positions need to have shown ample proof that they are active, engaged in community of their respective server. This is where ban requests and forum engagement WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THEIR RESPECTED FIELD is something I need to see in order to support the promotion. Even if I've not played with someone, I can easily check their engagement and see things they have said publicly whether it is on the discord or the forums and make what I feel is an appropriate decision.

Moderators should strive to get involved in all community aspects. The argument of "staying in your lane" is an asinine approach that I used to thoroughly believe in, but those days are long gone. When you are respected enough by your peers to be given banning power, you can provide insight to other staff members that maybe they aren't thinking of. You might be like "it's not that hard to do !ban STEAM ID 189254892158912892589189598210985" (I don't care if the ID is fake), but there is a process that has to be followed with banning. That kind of discipline and patience can come in handy in several situations.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is like what Russ said, you have to maintain being a cool player. Don't go on a power-trip because you're a staff member on a video game that is older than some of this community's members. You're a gamer just like the rest of us.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My thoughts on PH staff ranks (and ranks in general) - by Salty - 10-07-2022, 07:12 AM