Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jump pack and Illegal Spot Rules
I'll keep this "short" since this basically has a zero percent chance of happening and I've already made a thread arguing for and against the jump pack here.
Quote:If you are in a spot only reachable by a jet pack, you MUST be killable with a standard weapon, and by killable we mean a player without a jet pack. 

(I.e. the new players must be able to see you and kill you with standard weapons; grenade is not one)

This is confusing. There is no easy way to check if a hiding spot follows this rule, and even if there was, this is still a frustrating rule, because you can have a hiding spot that you've been killed in dozens of times, but get nagged by a staff member because it's "illegal". And knowing the controversy of staff and illegal spots over the years, you're always going to have 3 staff that say don't hide there, and three more that say it's okay. The rule makes sense in theory, but in practice it's confusing and frustrating.

A simple solution to this is to have a flat jump boost across the server, instead of having two "tiers" of players where one has a definite advantage over the other (i.e. jump pack and no jump pack). The fact that we even NEED this rule basically says people without a jump pack that just joined are going to be crap at the game until they buy one, so we need to restrict the people that DO have the jump pack as a result. Obviously the jump pack has its advantages, which I talked about in my old jump pack thread.

Basically, not having the jump pack and replacing it with a flat jump rate makes illegal spot rules less frustrating, and makes the experience of a new* player much less frustrating, because they're on the same playing field as everyone else.
*new means new to the server, not new to the game. I could have played 4,000 hours of prophunt on a different server, but joined THIS server yesterday, and I will not be able to play as well as others because I don't have points for the jump pack.

As usual, I try not to just blow smoke and back up my suggestions with a workable solution. This is the jump pack code rewritten as a hook instead of an item. When placed in lua/autorun, it gives the same functionality as the jump pack for everyone.
Code:
hook.Add("Tick", "jumpBoost", function()
    for k,v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
        if v:KeyDown(IN_JUMP) then
            v:SetVelocity(v:GetUp()*12)
        end
    end
end)

Messages In This Thread
Jump pack and Illegal Spot Rules - by Russ the Stress Queen - 04-03-2021, 12:39 AM
RE: Jump pack and Illegal Spot Rules - by (j)ax - 04-03-2021, 08:52 AM
RE: Jump pack and Illegal Spot Rules - by Deer-ly - 04-03-2021, 09:43 AM
RE: Jump pack and Illegal Spot Rules - by Deer-ly - 04-03-2021, 10:31 PM