Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staff Option on the Vending Machine
Ingame Name: chelllman

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:104538552, gametracker: https://www.gametracker.com/player/chell...134:27015/

Time Played: 218

When First Joined: Beginning of March, 2021

Availability (Approx. times you play, and time zone): Available during lunch 11am-1pm, and I typically play Mon-Sun for 1-3 hours between 6-11pm.  The week before a conference paper is due I will not be on at all (usually 2-3 times a year).  The week after a paper submission I do absolutely nothing but play games so I can play 4-5 hours a day.  All times are EST.

Rank Desired: Trusted.

Current Rank: Regular.

What can you do to help the community?: I have regularly played on the Dink’s PH server since April and have had a great time on the server (for the most part).  The biggest issue (that I’m sure the staff are aware of because of the constant complaining in discord) is that there are frequent periods of time where no staff are online to handle problems.  This is compounded because people will ping staff with no response sometimes.  Even worse is when no donors are online to help “calm” the VC when no staff are present.  I regularly play at consistent times each day, and would like to give back to this community that I’ve been a part of for the last 5ish months.  In summary, I will provide consistent times where staff can be online.

Why do you want to help the community?: Roughly 7 weeks ago, I attended the wedding of one of my cousins.  This event also happened to be a family reunion (pandemic prevented anything before this).  During this event, one of my cousins called John (not his real name) asked me what games I was currently playing.  I responded with the various games I enjoy including prop hunt.  As a result of this, John bought Garry’s Mod, joined the top PH server (dinks), and experienced the dumpster fire that is the VC when no staff is present.  I should mention that John is 10, and he is what you would call “sheltered” by his parents.  Through Dinkleberg's PH VC he learned the N word.  He asked his mom (my aunt) what the N word was.  You can imagine how that went down.  As a result, I got a wonderful (sarcasm) voicemail from my aunt regarding this.

This was the final tipping point that made me decide to apply for staff on the PH server.  I normally keep the VC disabled (voice_enable 0), but occasionally I activate it because some people I know on the server rarely use text chat.  I’ve been on the server plenty of times where no staff members are available, and I’d like to help keep the server free of harassment, racism, ghosting, hacking, etc (basically everything that prevents players from having a fun time on the server).  Garry’s Mod is getting older and older making player retention even more important.  New players experiencing the VC when no staff are present may turn them off to the server.

Have you previously been banned? (Link relevant posts): No.

Have you previously applied for staff? (Link relevant posts): Negatory.

Do you have a way to record video or take screenshots? Yes, I have OBS studio setup with hotkeys for quick recording.  In addition to the 3.5TB of NVMe storage on my computer, I have two 4TB hard drives connected.  I have 0 issues with recording every minute I play (if that is desired).  Eventually, I’ll get around to writing a Python script to search videos for the player rosters that appear when the tab key is pressed (maybe in October).  That should make indexing easier.

How did you find us?: Dinkleberg’s PH had the most players one particular day, so I joined. 

Other: I would like to say that I have zero desire to progress past the rank of Trusted.  The rank of Trusted is enough to help keep the VC safe for kids, deal with ghosters, and collect evidence on potential hackers.  If there ever comes a time where there is a severe lack of higher staff, then I’ll apply higher.  For now, what’s needed is an extra Trusted with a flexible schedule that can hop online quickly to deal with ghosters, hackers, and general VC degenerates.  As I've discussed with staff privately, I would need training for how to deal with these issues from a staff perspective.

To staff currently reading this application, I promise you these things:
  1. I will be vocal (respectfully) about what changes I believe need to be made (if they need to be made).  I have zero problems expressing my opinion about rules, rulings, and the conduct of anyone (regardless of rank on the server).
  2. Regardless of my opinions of certain rules for the server, I will follow the current staff guidelines to the letter.
Possible Questions: 
Q: “Why do you rarely use the VC?”
A: When concentrating, I can type at 70+ wpm.  When staff are not online, the VC is usually people talking over each other, and I’d rather not add to the chaos.  Typing allows the lobby to read what I say without it being garbled by someone singing over their microphone.

Q: “You rarely interact with others over Discord.  Why is this?”
A: The simplest answer I can give is that I’m very private with my information.  A friend of mine was swatted a few years back when I lived in CA.  I primarily use the discord to alert staff to issues, post the occasional successful vending machine prop round, or ask a question.

Q: “You have been critical of staff on the forums before.  Have you tried reaching out to staff privately to address comments/concerns?”
A: Yes, I’ve sent suggestions/questions to staff via Discord DMs in the past.  As I’ve stated above, if I see what I believe to be are double standards, hypocritical conduct, uneven application of rules, rules that I believe need to be changed, etc, then I will speak up.  Of course, once consensus is reached amongst staff members, I’ll default to the group consensus even if my opinion is the minority.  The benefit of being staff would be I can voice my concerns in the staff chat.

Questions, comments, concerns, and constructive criticisms are always welcome.  I will respond as I'm able (usually in the evenings).

Messages In This Thread
Staff Option on the Vending Machine - by I EAT HAMSTERS - 09-03-2021, 09:35 PM
RE: Staff Option on the Vending Machine - by reinaberg - 09-05-2021, 07:37 PM
RE: Staff Option on the Vending Machine - by dong - 09-16-2021, 09:21 AM