Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consistency/Severity of Punishment
(10-27-2022, 02:11 PM)slater Wrote: Hi Dildo, 

I've been debating mentally if this would be a good time to post on a thread you provided, that may lead into a derailing with some statements I have in general about the incident that occurred recently with me on the receiving end of that whole thread. It's a hot topic to debate on considering some viewpoints I have seen recently from this thread as well as past statement's made by other individuals in the community. As such, I will start of with the main point in the thread to keep it on topic. I agree that consistency/severity of the punishment is wild and random as it can be debatable on what player should receive and how long, etc. etc. With the recent banning of fanta, I would understand other's thoughts of perma banning him as it would be a "fair" punishment for the harassment. On the other hand, I also see the staff's viewpoint, with the major advocate being Bryan and our dev team, making a mercy type of forgiveness in allowing players another chance in re-correcting their wrongs in the server. I understand that some players are opposed to letting detrimental players in the community to have another shot at being a "good egg." In my personal opinion, whether that may be a "bad take" for others or a "good take," the warn system is a useful and beneficial tool that can be utilized very well, but it can also have some inconsistencies. Not every policy, rule, system, or guideline will make the server perfect in how others dream or visualize it to be. There will be flaws in every system, no system is perfect. No punishment is perfect. No severity of the punishment is perfect. I agree with @Icey and the very useful concept of "staff discretion." It's a topic we discuss a lot on certain players and what everyone on the staff team thinks is a good punishment and ban length for said player. I hope that others in the community understand that it's not a "one person, judge, jury, and executioner," type of situation, but more of a council type of discussion if you get what I'm saying. I also agree with icey that you can talk to icey, me or any staff member you trust to handle a situation that makes you uncomfortable or embarrassed to state or permit. DON'T BE AFRAID TO SPEAK ABOUT YOUR OPINION'S AND THOUGHT'S. It's what we thrive to utilize scrutiny and criticism to better our community but also take into deliberation about what other's agree or disagree on. 

Off topic: 

With the recent backlash from players in the community and even some staff about staffing and what needs to be done to reduce these types of incident's, I would understand that player would be quick to jump the gun on threads with certain evidence. I would also understand that some staff members would not be appeased by the jabbing of scrutiny made to them about being "bad staff" or "not moderating enough" which would be a understandable criticism to take. In my viewpoint, I see and feel that some of these criticisms are more on the line of sending hate to staff members and bashing on them. It's not to say other points are invalid or wrong, but I feel that more posts have been recently shown as ASAB, staff do not do their job, or they should pay close attention to offenses. Staff members make mistakes and are human and are similar to regular in our server. Yes, we have a duty to uphold in the server to watch these things, but I also believe that staff should be able to be chillax in being on the server and not stressed out to cause burn out, anger, or even not staffing in general. I think that this can be debated on thoroughly and just some insight on my personal experience with this as I disagree with some points. Not to say that there are bad people because of bad opinions, but just a debatable comment that I want to chime in and speak up on. No matter what debate, I don't see anyone different if their viewpoints differ from mine, only if the debate leads into scrutiny and hate which in turn derails the debate. I am open to discussing and debating on what I said and feel free to reach me out if you have any questions or thoughts!

-slater
I think we’re in a good spot staff wise when discussing the particulars of an incident civilly so even with some dropping of the ball and what not, there’s a clear willingness to learn. One thing here is that is that committee style staffing is good to deal matters that contain a lot more personal baggage since it can get a range of opinions for a final decision. But on the server side at an immediate level, if staff sees something like that, cases of harassment can be just as if not considerably more immediately harmful. Even if the person comes on and says “abuse” I do think it’s a reasonable use of discretion to stop immediately harmful things from continuing. A committee is good to then discuss what happens after the immediate issue is resolved, of course.
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by Foxka - 10-26-2022, 04:34 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by reinaberg - 10-26-2022, 04:47 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by reinaberg - 10-26-2022, 05:33 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by Salty - 10-26-2022, 05:50 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by reinaberg - 10-26-2022, 06:27 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by Salty - 10-26-2022, 06:51 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by reinaberg - 10-26-2022, 06:53 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by reinaberg - 10-26-2022, 09:26 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by icey - 10-26-2022, 11:12 PM
RE: Consistency/Severity of Punishment - by Dildo Shwaggins - 10-27-2022, 06:51 PM