Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context
Here's my initial thoughts. I'm not against valid, constructive, and meaningful "anonymous" feedback. The key word is "feedback." I take issue with those that lack context, are based on hearsay, or are made in an accusatory way w/o anything to back it up because that doesn't allow for a meaningful debate surrounding it, bc obviously, that person can't respond or elaborate because it's "anonymous" and no one else will really know what they're talking about. It's just unproductive and takes away from the point of apps, which is to provide meaningful feedback that can be used to help the person applying improve or help other assess their ability to take on the role they are applying for in a fair and respectful way. 

I don't think vague or hostile anonymous comments belong on applications, frankly. Or ones that come off in a accusatory way without any foundation to back it up. If you're going to comment anonymously, I think you should at least provide context or examples along with your comment so that a meaningful discussion can come out of it rather than it come across as hostile or lacking context, whether that is intended or not. Not just saying "this person is more likely to do this because of x, y, z reasons and therefore shouldn't be promoted." If some context or examples(which can still be safeguarded by anonymity).  

I'm all for anonymous comments that are grounded in reality and can fairly be discussed or defended by the person who's applying. Otherwise, I think it's a waste of time that won't bring about anything productive and rather come across as that person being hostile, accusatory, or biased. 

I used to get ***a lot** of anonymous feedback when I was TTT Admin and the way I handled those was I would post them in the admin channel to allow the people who vote on apps(Admins) to discuss it internally, because, ultimately, Admins are the ones that decide and should determine if the feedback has any foundation to it. If it was clearly biased or lacked substance I'd ask them privately to send me context or evidence for that before I consider posting it internally to see if anyone else has heard of it before or get a better idea of what they're talking about. I saw no need to post it on the app itself most of the time unless it was something that could formulate a productive discussion on the substance of the anonymous feedback or something the community should know about. AKA something that could actually be discussed to a meaningful extent.

Being Afraid to Give Feedback
This may be an unpopular take, but if someone is afraid to comment because of losing rep, I frankly think that's on them for caring too much about fake internet points. However, if someone is targeting someone specifically with all their posts or -1ing every +1/-1 on an application or something then that's something I can consider rep bombing and will gladly look into, so I don't want anyone to be afraid to give their opinion bc of rep. Honestly, if that's an issue I might just remove rep again if people take it too seriously or remove it from certain individuals.  This isn't really a  joke about that, if people care too much about rep points and it starts to take away from meaningful contributions to business that happens on the forums then that's an issue.

As for being attacked or unsolicitedly confronted hostilely in a non-civil way about your opinion on a thread, whether it be in a dm or on the thread itself that shouldn't happen. As most of you have seen, I try to keep conversations tame and if needed punish accordingly. If it does happen you should contact me or another Admin and we can look into that and deal with it accordingly. No one should be afraid to comment on the forums because of these reasons. Any type of harassment or targeting of people for their opinion by an individual or a certain group of people isn't tolerated. 

it's 3am so this may be a word salad or some things may not come across right, so probably will make small edits tomorrow

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 03:11 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by Gabe - 12-06-2022, 03:48 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 10:17 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 01:32 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 10:18 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 11:46 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-07-2022, 12:50 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 02:25 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by Frosty (2) - 12-06-2022, 02:21 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-07-2022, 01:07 AM
hfdhfd - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 12:30 AM
gdfgdfdgf - by J@CK XDDD - 12-06-2022, 01:07 AM
dhfhdf - by tiefling lesbian - 12-06-2022, 01:12 AM
gdf - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 01:32 AM
gdsgds - by Battons - 12-06-2022, 01:54 AM