Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Context in Sentences
Okay so, this may hurt my rank but I feel a strong need to share my opinion on this issue. 

Earlier today, SonRooRoo came on to the server and said “Hi Potato” and i replied “Stfu” as a joke toward him. As soon as I said that, a staff member (who I I’ll not not name unless theyre fine with me naming them) said I am not allowed to say “stfu” because it encourages players to say it to others. Now I understand where they are coming from but I respectfully disagree. 

Sure, players may start saying that to others, but what people need to understand is that there is context within sentences. Mind you, Roo knew I was joking because of my context (I even asked him myself). 

I say stfu or shut up to players like Bowie, SadMinion, Spongegar, and Aecho all the time and I never once heard them say they were offended because they knew I was joking.

We should not silence players for what they say toward their friends. You can EASILY tell there their tone begins to cross over the harassment line. Our job as staff is not to prevent bros from being bros, it’s to be able to tell when a situation is getting out of hand. For instance, I remember once on the server we were talking about Harley Quinn’s ass how it was sometimes bubbly and sometimes flat and we were trying to figure out why. Okay everything is cool nothing to worry about. But then there was a certain point where the conversation got out of line when someone whispered into their mic “I would do hit that”. Then the conversation got sexual and Staff & Donors stopped the conversation.

Another example is when there was a younger player online with a high voice and another older player told him to shut up and stop talking. Warned and Gagged him (since he continued) because we knew this guy was intentionally targeting the younger player for his voice. 

But Potato, shouldn’t we stop it before it gets to that  point? No, because we do not know for certain that it WILL get to that point. The convo can go anywhere, it is not our job to predict where the conversation is going, rather to stop it as soon as it gets to a certain point

I feel like there’s more for me to say but I can’t think right now. I’ll edit this if I remember something. Please feel free to say your opinion below, maybe that’d help me remember what I want to say.

MIND YOU THAT WHAT EVER IS THE END DECISION OF THIS THREAD, AS A STAFF MEMBER I WILL CONSIDER IT TO BE A RULE AND INTEND TO FOLLOW IT
[Image: Garry_s-Mod-4_27_2019-3_48_35-PM_Trim-_2_.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Context in Sentences - by Mr.Potato - 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by TheUltraFish - 09-30-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by Mr.Potato - 09-30-2018, 07:42 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by TheUltraFish - 09-30-2018, 08:47 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by HalfDemonLink - 09-30-2018, 08:15 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by Mr.Potato - 09-30-2018, 08:28 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by HalfDemonLink - 09-30-2018, 08:39 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by Traitor - 09-30-2018, 09:50 PM
RE: Context in Sentences - by Mr.Potato - 09-30-2018, 09:58 PM