Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook
My biggest issue with this is it starts off like its an address to the ENTIRE community, and then turns into a TTT post.
Neither fish nor myself were contacted regarding this post tbh. This adds to the admin-admin communication that we need.
Yes I dont physically get on server but I am on discord quite often now, daily honestly. I am able to respond to messages. You cannot preach it if you're not going to take the first steps yourselves. If we have something that happens on ph that is crossing into discord or an issue, I am sure to share with you guys, and the discord committee, today being an example, those of you in the committee/admins will know.

Now to pitch in from PH side, during my time here things I've noticed that help. If you teach the staff properly, they teach the community properly, and there fore the community teaches the newcomers. When I >was< extremely active, I made sure to teach people how to talk to others, how not to, etc. (I'm no longer a good role model for this, keep that in mind, I admit now I am a shit role model.) I did this heavily onto my mod team, and they in turn taught tmod, and so on and so forth. It was to the point that we had donors that helped us constantly, and it RARELY felt like donors were overstepping etc. We had newcomers that were able to grasp onto things easily in game due to this and help other newcomers.

As for the drama/discord issues/etc, we have to put a cap on that, and fast. We have become far to lenient and been giving 4-5 warnings to one person, when for example, they've been here for years or months. Long enough to learn the rules, but instead of dishing actual punishments, we do more warnings. Therefore they think they can get by with more than someone should, and push limits, and people.

As for the issues between community/staff. Matt is correct. Staff no longer is held to the high standards that they used to be, which is something ive been trying to break the ph staff back into. They're not fans of it but it has to be done. When you have a group of people that are allowed to do things however they want, because there is no "admin" or head in charge, etc, for so long, and you bring in rules and restrictions, people do tend to go haywire and sideways. It's not as bad as it used to be and for the >most< part I'd like to say it's better than it was. I know some of my staff will disagree here and that's fine.

For me personally, my communication issues with Dink are none. Fish has some here and there with responses, but it's not as bad as with TTT I assume. So I want you guys to look and see if maybe it's in the way you guys are contacting him, or something on his end, and discuss between you guys, as a group, how to improve that. Otherwise it'll stay stagnant. Talking with dink about lack of communication usually helps me. I'm not saying it will fix it for you, but it doesn't hurt to try. And as a group. But don't do it in a way where you gang up either. Nobody likes being intimitated. :d

Also I will say Gabe, while I overall agree with the point you're making, the way you have said it here is very much how modern Nuru talks, and it's wrong. The way you address people here is kind of toxic. The one thing we're trying not to be. (I'm guilty, I don't get a lot of room here to preach) If you want people to have better communication between staff/players (admins being included in staff) we have to start by not talking to them as such. Yes I know how frustrating this job is, and sometimes we let ourselves go. But we have to work harder than the rest in keeping it under control.
I mean this with the best intent and I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Also I'm against admins getting promotional power. I will never be for this. Leave that for co owners/dink. Yes I know this is problematic, but i see it being FAR more problematic in the hands of admins, specially people who are first timers like myself.
We break shit :))))))) LMAO

One last thing to the story I swear.
"Admins:

Let's start with one question, what are we? What are we supposed to be? Oh wait, that was two questions, my bad. The answer to the first one is that we are the community leaders along with Dink. We act on Dink's behalf and overseen directly by him while we oversee Trusted-Mod. For the second one, we are supposed to be part of the central authority of the server. We are supposed to make the minor executive decisions within our power in Dink's absence. "

What are we? We are the community leaders UNDER Dink, PICKED by the community, and Dink. Keep this in mind. We don't act on his behalf. We act on the guidelines he gives us, and it's free reign from there. You know as well as I do, and any other current or past admins. Admins here have pretty much free reign to change rules/etc, they just have to be ran by him first.
What are we supposed to be? We are supposed to be the group of people that players and staff can go to when there are issues, when something is broken and in our power to fix (We're ignoring that many don't know what we do and don't have access to), and we are the faces of dinklebergs to put it plainly. How we carry ourselves as admins, is how everyone out there, sees dinklebergs.
Now stop and think, how does dinklebergs look to an outsider?
Thats something we need to work on, myself included.

//edit The way you have worded it here Gabe, very much comes off power hungry. I know it's not your intent, but choice of words is important. Yes we make the final decisions, but that isn't all we are here for. We are here to help. Not to be the power.

(01-02-2020, 12:01 AM)Hani Wrote: Yeah, we realize that. Hence why we started the whole strike thing. I've had to individually warn some people prior to it, but whether it stuck or not is something I'm not sure on. 
The strikes though are yeah, something that will stick. Not sure where the feeling that it's necessary to ban/kick each other started to have fun came into play. I've seen it before, but it's just grown recently.

On the note of hive minding, it's just something hard to escape from my experience in all the servers I've been in. Cliques form in all communities. Silence one and you have another growing already. 

Also in my specific response, I'm more so talking about donor abuses as they were also increasing in the past few months. None of which we were given guidance on. 
At some point so much time had passed we felt our options were very limited. As they're donors, that money is going directly to dinkleberg so just trying to be careful and seeing what we can do to prevent them from charging back with dinkleberg being on board was very pressing.

ONE LAST THING
The strike system is handy and something We've had for quite some time in PH.
If ttt would like more insight to how we handle it, I can share.
We give a basic warning, if it continues, strike.
This is for staff, AND donors. They're basically held accountable for their actions as much as players are. Which is fair. This is what keeps players from thinking staff are above anyone.
The strike system also helped regarding dink and allowing him to see phsyically what's been going on. We have a channel for staff strikes, we put the staff members name, their steam id, and screenshots of anything regarding the strike, and the official warning, and the official strike message. This is helpful for us, and Dink as it keeps it tidy, and there for records sake. It is the same for donors, except they have their own channel in our discord. This is something maybe you guys can look into if you haven't started doing already.

Messages In This Thread
Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook - by Gabe - 01-01-2020, 10:50 PM
RE: Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook - by Avi - 01-02-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook - by Smurfmin - 01-02-2020, 11:01 PM