Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Community Toxicity Bans. The Follow Up.
@proper because I'm not starting a long ass reply chain.

The issue with being sensitive online is the factor of anonymity. People will say what hurts for a reaction. The internet and its browsers are not all going to be your friend, and not every area of the internet will be catered to serve your personality needs. The internet will never be a "safe-space" and to expect it to be is just a fantasy. By protecting people from a difference of opinions, you're further reinforcing the notion that the internet- and life- will serve to fit your expectations, and it won't.

Nobody is immune to being upset over things, and I've come across shit that has upset me, and that takes a lot. Truth is, if being online is causing you severe distress, you probably shouldn't be on the internet. You can be a great person online, but again, anonymity plays a factor to who these people are when they aren't online. I can guarantee you a majority of people here do not act the same way outside of the internet. The saying "behind closed doors" couldn't be any more true.

It's about learning to separate reality from fantasy, and so many people are struggling to do that. If you take the things people have said to you to sleep at night, that's horrible on both parties end. Not knowing what somebody goes through is a moot point; we're all mostly anonymous. It's hard to swallow it, but when push comes to shove, nobody really cares about who you are on the internet unless you've managed to befriend somebody for extended periods of time, though, even then it's still arguable. In my eyes, being afraid of people online is like being afraid of the shark that walks on land.

It's unhealthy to take what people say in a video-game to bed with you. I can't imagine all the kids online who have banged my mom and have added an extra 300 pounds to my scale. It's not okay to beat someone down, but it's also not okay to feel like a constant victim because that signals a deeper issue that needs to be addressed.

I can't find the paper I did on this for my humanities class, but the idea of "safety" is one of gratification. Studies have shown internet escapism to further negatively impact subjects that are suffering from some form of issue, health; mental; or simply personality wise. My point is people need to have a better grasp of themselves before seeking shelter everywhere they go. Rates of mental illness and suicide are increasing rapidly, and they're probably not going to stop. There's a deep connection people need to understand. It's a very hard wake up.

Messages In This Thread
Community Toxicity Bans. The Follow Up. - by Gabe - 09-06-2019, 04:56 PM
RE: Community Toxicity Bans. The Follow Up. - by Stiffler's Mom - 09-06-2019, 09:38 PM