Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for the Forums
     I'm not sure if this is entirely feasible, but could we get rid of the quote feature entirely? I get that it has its usage, but I've seen numerous people who are trying to reply to someone, and you can't even see the reply because of how massive the quote is. I've also seen staff throughout the time also complain about when people do this on threads during my tenure here. 

Does removing the quote feature affect the website badly? If it does, then don't bother trying to remove that system; however, I know we got rid of the rep system due to people who were rep manipulating (i.e., me when I told people to mass -1 me and I got -350 rep in like 24 hours) and at first people were annoyed by that but now nobody cares; surely the same thing can be done about quotes? 

I don't really believe it's that difficult to have a duplicated tab to see what the person was trying to say or to just simply do a quick reply rather than a full one if you really need to see what they said to reference it; deleting this feature would also improve the clarity of threads so it can be easier to read through it instead of spending 5 minutes trying to find what someone was trying to say under a massive quote bubble. 

I really can only think of one individual who used the quote feature in an easily comprehensible way, and that was Mr. Laced Xanax. There might be others who do this that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but he would put his responses INSIDE the quote in a different color; as a result, it was quite easy to read what he was trying to say. 

Of course, if this isn't something that is viable, then just simply say so and we can move on, but I was wondering if others had the same opinion I did or if it is even possible.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a good day.

-David
Other forums I've seen in the past automatically place quotes inside a collapsible spoiler like this: 

Show Content

Which is fairly nice. Doing this here though requires a bit more effort as you manually have to add [ spoiler ] & [ / spoiler ] to the beginning and end of anything you want inside of it (not including those spaces I added so they actually show up without registering.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(01-03-2022, 12:16 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote: Other forums I've seen in the past automatically place quotes inside a collapsible spoiler like this: 

Which is fairly nice. Doing this here though requires a bit more effort as you manually have to add [ spoiler ] & [ / spoiler ] to the beginning and end of anything you want inside of it (not including those spaces I added so they actually show up without registering.

I'm very ignorant with coding, but I'd imagine trying to make the reply button do this automatically would be a major pain in the ass. I had no idea this was even a thing on the forums though, that's pretty cool.
(01-03-2022, 12:21 PM)David Wrote: I'm very ignorant with coding, but I'd imagine trying to make the reply button do this automatically would be a major pain in the ass. I had no idea this was even a thing on the forums though, that's pretty cool.

I can imagine so yes. People honestly just need to know when to shorten replies. You can always just edit the text and remove unneeded parts of quotes which shortens A LOT. For example, I removed my prior post when replying to your post.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Maybe the reply button on the first post being gone would make sense because you wouldn't really be quoting that, but being able to reply to other users easily is pretty important, and replys automatically reference the original posters userid and the postid, so if a thread is 5 years old their username and everything is still correct
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
I appreciate having quote available manually - it helps me respond to specific statements in someone's post. However, I know how to use the backspace key.

I'm all for getting rid of quoting in the reply button.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
I’ve thought about forcing the quote button to use spoiler, but I’m unsure on how the forums will take that with stacking. I did plan to start the year with some coding tho currently I’m out of commission with the rona. The button was being a pain last time but I may just remake their button using the same code and skip that mess.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
(01-03-2022, 02:26 PM)Jammin Wrote: I appreciate having quote available manually - it helps me respond to specific statements in someone's post. However, I know how to use the backspace key.

I'm all for getting rid of quoting in the reply button.

Quoting in the reply button is what I'd like removed, I should've been more specific. Manually being able to quote is good, but when a thread turns into 8 people responding to a massive quote and turns it into a regurgitated blob of text, it becomes borderline unbearable to read at times. 

Also, Matt, don't worry about it right now. I hope you feel better soon. You can worry about this whenever you're not trying to recover from COVID.
I'm a little confused as to what the heck we are talking about... does this not make perfect sense?
[Image: unknown.png]

You want to add a reply to the thread you press the new reply button, and the thread isn't quoted because it's implied you are replying to the parent topic... to reply to a specific post you press the reply button on that post, and that quotes the post, otherwise how are readers supposed to know what the poster is replying to? You yourself have been using quotes to reply to people in this thread... and it makes perfect sense to read; you quote the post you are responding to, and your response goes at the bottom so the reader can read it in sequential order, that's how forums have worked since they were invented

Now obviously reply chains get pretty big and as Nicol said other forums fix this problem by making previous replies collapsible. Our forums don't do that, but courteous users have found ways of helping clutter by snipping replies that aren't relevant in what they are saying or by using spoiler tags (but no one does this because theres no button)
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
I didn't read the text wall but I assume this is about long ass quotes. My solution is just snipping the long ass quote just like most people do. Or if matt could edit the code for quotes to be marked as spoilers then that'd be amazing but for this most part, snipping quotes/reply's to posts seems to be the way to go for now. aaa
[Image: 955ef7a32696f2e506ea3319fcb5017a.png][Image: Banned-Gravity-Small.jpg]
Resigned prop hunt trusted 4/16/2021 - 1/1/2022 <3