Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some ideas to potentially make reputation more meaningful and productive
(12-10-2022, 01:18 PM)stoked Wrote: i cannot believe anyone cares about rep, it doesn't matter at all

rep can be removed today and 2 things will (still) happen

1) you will still be mocked for saying or doing something stupid
2) you will be quoted and agreed with for saying or doing something not stupid

the number is simply a number
engaging in the conversation to agree/disagree with someone > pressing a +/- to agree/disagree with someone
if rep doesn't serve any other purpose, there's no point in having it as it encourages bad habits, and removing it shouldn't be an issue if no one cares about it
if it's going to stick around, it might as well be improved
anyone implying anything beyond these points or what was directly said in the OP is projecting
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
(12-10-2022, 01:37 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: g key
-rep
former admin2
(12-10-2022, 02:04 PM)Deadpool Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 01:37 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: g key
-rep
i press your mom's g key
Some folks have opinions grounded in reality, based on facts, with a reasonable sense of what the community desires and a good grasp of how to accomplish this. Those who don't tend to have a negative reputation or a low positive rep.
Not that it should matter a ton, but occasionally a toxic hive mind may gang up to -1 any opinions that don't blindly follow their group's mindset. There's been multiple times when I've simply provided a fact, such as a missing SteamID, where I've been down voted.
At the end of the day, it is still just internet points. Nobody really should care that much. When Matt disabled rep, I didn't stop giving well thought opinions on stuff. Had rep been enabled, I'd probably be in the top 5 or 10 by now (might still be lmao). But some discussions are a bit more important than haha internet points.

I've found over my time that these folks tend to have higher forum rep because, well, their opinions make sense and are reasonable given the current situation. Examples include @TheUltraFish and @dong .

Some folks are good at making reasonable opinions similar to above, in combination with funny/ironic jokes and mild shitposting, to get their elevated rep. Examples include @Laced Xanax and @Dildo Shwaggins.

Some folks are just simps. Examples include @Nicol Bolas.

And some people, despite having absolutely toxic takes and being overall leeches in the community, still get high upvotes. Examples include @Gabe and @Jammin
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(12-10-2022, 12:27 PM)Gabe Wrote: or I can just remove rep again because you people take rep too seriously

ill respond to your suggestions themselves later today, thanks for the thread!
Yes please
[Image: unknown.png]
personally think that rep should be removed again, it serves no positive purpose (no using it to dickmeasure is not positive) and only has negative effects.
(12-10-2022, 01:18 PM)stoked Wrote: i cannot believe anyone cares about rep, it doesn't matter at all

rep can be removed today and 2 things will (still) happen

1) you will still be mocked for saying or doing something stupid
2) you will be quoted and agreed with for saying or doing something not stupid

the number is simply a number
TBH honest I have noticed that some that -1 for things that aren't even negative to not even reply to me which makes me think is because it's just me and not what I said
(12-10-2022, 02:50 PM)Jammin Wrote: At the end of the day, it is still just internet points. Nobody really should care that much. When Matt disabled rep, I didn't stop giving well thought opinions on stuff. Had rep been enabled, I'd probably be in the top 5 or 10 by now (might still be lmao). But some discussions are a bit more important than haha internet points.
i agreed in the first line of the OP that this is not an urgent matter or some personal crusade, it's just ideas to potentially improve flaws of an existing system
discussions aren't a zero sum game, and the forums aren't particularly busy today
(12-10-2022, 03:19 PM)Wilfry Wrote: TBH honest I have noticed that some that -1 for things that aren't even negative to not even reply to me which makes me think is because it's just me and not what I said

i think you're mistaking a -1 on a post to be anything more than "i dont agree" which is what it is in 95% of cases... it's generally not personal. don't need to post to follow up on a +1 or -1 most of the time either if someone else has brought up what you think
(12-10-2022, 03:40 PM)stoked Wrote:
(12-10-2022, 03:19 PM)Wilfry Wrote: SNIP
My opinion has always been that if you are going to disagree then give a response that helps to improve unless the comment is real bad that creates problem and incites drama.
-1 just because you don't like someone is the wuss route to shit on a person and not provide anything positive.