Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observation/Criticism of Ban Appeal Replies
I can't imagine people will be thrilled with this, but here goes nothing.

First of all this is a general observation and not targeted specifically as anyone. Anyways first positively I appreciate how everyone can view ban appeals. It helps people in the future make better appeals themselves and allows users to see an important part of the community.

Hobserver, I do feel like when you'e expecting professionalism and maturity in the ban appeal by the person appealing, the staff should equally give respect back. If you try to discredit a player by simply insulting them rather than explaining past experiences in an unbiased manner, then why should you expect order, maturity, and avoiding hyperbole from a player appealing a ban?

I also think staff could try to resolve some disputes on the server privately. Perhaps by temporarily banning a player then adding them to their friends list talk about what happened or utilizing the damagelogs private chat feature found in the reports section.

Again just some thoughts
I agree with you whole heartedly. Being a staff member does require a bit of professionalism.

Being humans however does mean we are prone to fail at things sometimes. Not an excuse, just something I know to be true.
I do agree that both those who appeal a ban and staff should show respect. I know personally, if you come off as a muppet, expect me to come off as a muppet. Basic respect is given because you're a human, but ultimate respect is earned.

Depending on the ban, sometimes a friend request is alright. Otherwise, I feel that it's better for the person to make an unban request so the community can add their opinion and so other staff members can add whatever evidence and opinions they may have.
I'm pleased to see you guys not taking this as an attack. I don't mean it that way. I'm glad to see some even agree with me.

(12-18-2017, 04:03 PM)EpicGuy Wrote: I do agree that both those who appeal a ban and staff should show respect. I know personally, if you come off as a muppet, expect me to come off as a muppet. Basic respect is given because you're a human, but ultimate respect is earned.

Depending on the ban, sometimes a friend request is alright. Otherwise, I feel that it's better for the person to make an unban request so the community can add their opinion and so other staff members can add whatever evidence and opinions they may have.

I agree. It depends on the situation. Sometimes the death scene and logs cannot get you the whole picture though, and only the people involved know the whole story. Weather or not they tell the truth, is different.
I do agree with Epic. The friending thing always depends on the situation. I've banned a player for ghosting and talked to them on steam about it. They were extremely respectful and understanding.

But I have also done the same thing with another player who was banned for the same reason and gotten harassed and spammed with calls through steam to the point I had to block them. I would decline a call and they would immediately start another.

So it really does depend on the situation and the staff member whether the talking through steam happens or not.
Epic always says the right thing before I do but I'll go ahead and add some of my opinions.

Austria-Hungary, you are quite right. Ban appeals need to be more professional and respectful. Unfortunately, it tends to be hard to frame a ban appeal as the "victim" without appearing accusatory towards a certain staff member. This, in turn, can upset staff and cause them to retaliate. Certainly not ideal. However, staff members should try to be respectful, regardless of how the other player is acting. It's something that I personally am going to work on and I hope other staff members do as well. Clearly, people are noticing our lack of professionalism, and that is not a good thing.

I do like the idea of discussing bans on steam chat as well. It's not necessarily useful for all bans, but perhaps for the people that are members and above that get banned. After spending over 20 hours on the server, they should at least receive that level of respect. Mass RDMers and random guests, maybe not so necessary.

Thank you for calling this to our attention.
(12-18-2017, 05:10 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: Epic always says the right thing before I do but I'll go ahead and add some of my opinions.

Austria-Hungary, you are quite right. Ban appeals need to be more professional and respectful. Unfortunately, it tends to be hard to frame a ban appeal as the "victim" without appearing accusatory towards a certain staff member. This, in turn, can upset staff and cause them to retaliate. Certainly not ideal. However, staff members should try to be respectful, regardless of how the other player is acting. It's something that I personally am going to work on and I hope other staff members do as well. Clearly, people are noticing our lack of professionalism, and that is not a good thing.

I do like the idea of discussing bans on steam chat as well. It's not necessarily useful for all bans, but perhaps for the people that are members and above that get banned. After spending over 20 hours on the server, they should at least receive that level of respect. Mass RDMers and random guests, maybe not so necessary.

Thank you for calling this to our attention.

That would be a good system to go by. Thank you for the idea of handling the situation by rank. Those who have spent more time on the server and earned a rank would have proven they should be able to handle a conversation on steam without trolling. Definitely going to implement this idea!
let me say something in defense of the current way its handled
while its not perfect today, its not like the past where people were encouraged by the former co-owner to flame and disrespect people

It was pretty extreme. Threads made to dedicated in making fun of someone who was banned. But the server is evolving its an ongoing project.

Things are a lot better now but its true they need to work on it some more.

Its entertaining perhaps to pwn someone who might deserve it with pictures and insults and memes but it dosn't look good.
unprofessional

They need better methods of letting off "staffing fatigue" then to take it out on someones unban request.
I agree with you.
I dont think its as much about not showing respect as it is about not showing maturity.
Dont look so blue