Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addressing the State of TTT- The Pandemic, Toxicity, Burning out
1. What can staff do better?
Staff should communicate with players better. There are too many instances where certain situations escalate due to inadequacy of communication. If somebody is breaking the rules or doing something that is crossing the line, rather than talk about it in admin chat or discord, the staff member should reach out to that person and ask them to stop doing what they do. A one on one conversation is much easier to manage and allow the player to understand the behavior or actions that led to said conversation. That player can ask questions and communicate with the staff member directly. I try to do this when I see people breaking rules by simply privately messaging them. This usually resolves the situation. Proper communication has more of an effect than most people think. When enforcing rules, staff should also not be afraid to take a stand and prohibit people from doing bad things, even if it is an unpopular stance. You are staff and a leader who may sometimes make decisions that people don't like, however you must enforce the rules and make sure people are not behaving poorly. There is a fine line between trolling, having fun, and anarchy. It is your duty to set those boundaries.

I like the point that @"Ernest" brought up, regarding gagging people. Punishments should escalate. I constantly see someone say something that they shouldn't or mic spam and get warned multiple times. I have been trying to implement this into my staffing behavior. I believe that if someone is warned/gagged/muted the first time, they can be ungagged/unmuted instantly, however punishments should escalate. If they continue to break the rules in the same matter and receive warnings, these punishments should escalate -- instant, 1 round, 1 map, 2 maps, 3 maps, or something similar. It could also be time sensitive -- 1 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc.

2. What can the playerbase do better?
We are all here to have fun. A lot of people consider trolling and fucking around to be fun. These people need to have respect for other players who have fun by following the rules and playing the game properly and vice-versa. There needs to be a subtle blend of these types of behaviors. There is currently a lot of trolling, fucking around, targeting, etc. going on in the server. Situations like these can be handled by staff when they are online, however soon after the last staff member leaves the server, the behavior goes to shit. Players should hold each other responsible maintaining good conduct. If something occurs, they should do their best to find evidence of it and contact a staff member or post on the forums. We are a community, we need to act like one. 

3. What can I as Admin do better?
I know that you are looking for feedback to better yourself as a leader in the community, however I believe that you have been doing a great job so far given the circumstances. I would suggest that you be more transparent and communicate with staff about more things. Maybe ask them their opinion about changes and their opinion on it. I understand that there is a need-to-know basis, so you should use your own discretion which staff rank you communicate certain things to. Mods are obviously privileged to more information than T-mods which are privileged to more information than Trusteds, and this trickles down through the server ranks. There are those who talk too much and love to gossip. One person tells a secret to another saying 'don't tell anybody.' That person tells that secret to another person and tells them 'don't tell anybody' and that chain continues. There are also certain staff members who enjoy to bend the rules in their favor. Staff member should be policed a bit better. In addition, I think that certain situations should be addressed quicker. For example the bugs posted on the disc (locomotive ones and dolls for example). 

I think you should introduce some community events to bring everybody closer. For example, let's say once every 2-4 weeks we have a community night for 2 hours. I remember we had these when I used to play TTT back in the day (2011?). One event was a small open map with a lot of props and everybody had a poltergeist. Another was where it was T's vs D's, there were more T's than D's and T's only spawned with a knife while D's spawned with something else (don't remember). Another was a newton launcher night. Possibilities are endless. 

4. What can you as a player or staff member do?
I am going to do everything I can to be a responsible and understanding staff member to ensure that everybody in the community enjoys themselves and has a good time. If anybody ever needs to talk or has any feedback/input/issues, add me on steam or message me on discord and I can help you out. I will try to continue to improve myself and be someone that everybody can rely on for anything whatsoever. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Addressing the State of TTT- The Pandemic, Toxicity, Burning out - by .ceebeast - 06-17-2020, 06:25 PM