Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible failing GPU or PSU.
So i woke up this morning to both my monitors being blank/no signal. After cracking open the case i found that with everything unplugged but the power, everything appears to run normal. I got one monitor to work fine, some system glitches (like the occasional pause while typing as if the system froze then caught up) but other than that it works. I have yet to try any kind of game for fear it will completely fuck me over and break everything else. Now the wierd part: As soon as i plug in the second monitor, the entire GPU just shuts down and both monitors go blank. The fans stop running but the lights on the card are still there. Does this mean my PSU is failing? Or my GPU is going bad? Any of you techies out there i would really appreciate the help! :)
Sounds like a power supply issue.
gpu is fucked.
[Image: c9adb707fb.png]
[Image: 95257fa8be.png]
Well both of those answers contradict each other QAQ

EDIT: I should also add that my PSU is well over 5 years old and my graphics card is around 4 months.
russ is wrong.
i am right.
[Image: c9adb707fb.png]
[Image: 95257fa8be.png]
If you have a GPU laying around, plug it in and see what happens. If you're having the same issue, then think it's the PSU.
[Image: sYlL3bD4Bf9Cg.gif][Image: u7gAmp9lCZWPC.gif]
(04-06-2017, 12:53 PM)????????? Wrote: russ is wrong.
i am right.

prove it pls then because i'm not about to invest 200$ on something that doesn't fix the issue
Usually if your GPU is fucked it can still run 1 monitor off of the motherboard chipset, but when you put a second monitor in the first one still runs. Not enough wattage to that GPU if both are dying.
Could be either. Here's some questions;

What CPU do you have?
What GPU do you have?
What model of PSU do you have (if you can't provide an exact model, provide the wattage)?

Exact models are going to be extremely helpful here. Even moreso if you can link directly to the PCPartPicker/Amazon/Newegg/etc. page.

And some thing to try;

If your CPU has integrated graphics, disconnect your GPU and plug in the second monitor. Does it work?
Is there anything that happens before the monitors flash that would indicate this being a recurring issue? In other words, do you think you can replicate it?

As it stands, I have to agree with @RussEfarmer and say that it's likely that your card is drawing too much power (as opposed to either failing), but assuming one was failing, it's liable to be the GPU. That's not me saying it's the GPU, though! Give us an answer to the questions I asked above and we can get a better picture.
(04-06-2017, 05:35 PM)Rhapsody Wrote: Could be either. Here's some questions;

What CPU do you have?
What GPU do you have?
What model of PSU do you have (if you can't provide an exact model, provide the wattage)?

Exact models are going to be extremely helpful here. Even moreso if you can link directly to the PCPartPicker/Amazon/Newegg/etc. page.

And some thing to try;

If your CPU has integrated graphics, disconnect your GPU and plug in the second monitor. Does it work?
Is there anything that happens before the monitors flash that would indicate this being a recurring issue? In other words, do you think you can replicate it?

As it stands, I have to agree with @RussEfarmer and say that it's likely that your card is drawing too much power (as opposed to either failing), but assuming one was failing, it's liable to be the GPU. That's not me saying it's the GPU, though! Give us an answer to the questions I asked above and we can get a better picture.
PSU - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rCH323/...p1850bbefx
GPU - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6814202229
CPU does NOT have integrated graphics.
Monitors have occasionally frozen, turned off, then restarted however this was also a problem with my old GPU. (R9 270)
My system also occasionally gets bouts of 100% disk usage but i think this is unrelated as its a common problem with w10