Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Amount of Staff Flaming and Generalized Tomfoolery
Just like with player harassment (unless it's obvious), this really boils down to whether or not the individual is taking offense with the comments. A lot of players joke around with each other with play insults and that's not an issue unless someone is actually offended (and generally they should let the staff know of such offense). At this point, a staff member is expected to step in and resolve the issue. There are, of course, times when a staff member should step in even without being notified directly when it's obvious that someone isn't playing in jest.

This really seems to be the same situation here with the alleged staff disrespect. I get the "ASAB," "Prince nikki is the worst mod ever," and "ungag me you turd burglar," just like everyone else, I'm sure. I don't take offense from these insults which come across as jokes and not seriously meant. So I'll either just ignore those comments or just play back with the person/people who say such things. It's really not a big deal.

Of course there are individuals who might actually mean the insults they direct at staff, or at least mean them in the moment. And that is a different story. If I am told to "ungag me asshole," or worse, I am naturally less likely to bid as commanded. While I don't personally punish for such nastiness (which is usually spurred by a punishment for a different offense), I will consciously take longer to ungag/unmute. As I learned in Sunday school, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." While I don't expect staff members to act downright nasty in response to insults, it should come as no surprise that staff members are not going to act too kindly towards their abusers. 

So really it comes down to whether you take offense or not, and the key is to try and avoid being too sensitive. This is an online game and at the end of the day, any insult lodged at you fades away within minutes of signing off (or at least it should).

Anyways, I don't think any bright-line rules or attempt at a solution is going to work. In my opinion, this is generally an individual problem and requires solutions on the individual level.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Large Amount of Staff Flaming and Generalized Tomfoolery - by Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca De La Ley - 10-06-2020, 12:07 PM