Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look what i can do!
Pakrat-905
pakrat-905 is a tool that allows custom textures/materiel to be mashed into a .bsp map file. One of the best ways to easily and simply put custom textures into your map or already existing textures not within gmod, and thats what im here to talk about. I can take a map for say an example deathrun_stone_dinks or ttt_orange, all i have to do is find the texture it uses and select the required ones through pakrat then pakrat will do its magic and squish it in. 

Here is a link to the test i did with deathrun_stone_dinks and as shown i can add css to any map without it having to be downloaded, and i believe this can be very useful for murder and ph specifically since they require their maps to not have css but with this you still don't need css but css is already there within the map.

This also works with any css props and those props textures, now here is the big "but" this increases the map size its not a large amount for the main file but the "BAK" file is larger and its a good 25(not use)/(use)75 if its needed to be used but thats the short end the bigger "but" (joke was indeed intended) is the "Invalid Solids" that must be "removed" to be able to access the map and be able to edit it, i dont know what these "solids" are and im worried its something yk important and its just been deleted. Altho if i can get someone to run around and try to see what is and isnt breakable that would be devine. (cough cough uhhuh cough cough)

I already have some maps i wish to implement this idea that idea being reuploading maps requiring css textures, i already have 3 maps i wish to test this on proper including the whole "invalid solids" thing and seeing what breaks this includes one map for ph/ttt/dr and i don't know any murder maps that need css off the top of my head but feel free to suggest maps below.

The maps im going to try to do (and not break)
ph_chinese
deathrun_stone_dinks (more of finishing what i started)
ttt_67thway_v14
[Image: ezgif.com-effects.gif?ex=66308f7a&is=661...height=424]
find more through my linktree | Never Forget | My emotinal support cat Green Bean | Smiling Over Orange City (spotify)
(02-22-2021, 12:02 PM)[orange]Golden[test]Spikes Wrote: The majority of the world's vanilla is the V. planifolia species, more commonly known as Bourbon vanilla (after the former name of Réunion, Île Bourbon) or Madagascar vanilla, which is produced in Madagascar and neighboring islands in the southwestern Indian Ocean, and in Indonesia.

i respect the shitpost grind but can you spare this one
find more through my linktree | Never Forget | My emotinal support cat Green Bean | Smiling Over Orange City (spotify)
I do this to all my maps but instead I use a program called VIDE. Not sure if it’s better but just what I am used to. It packs the textures directly into the bsp so I don’t need to add any extra files to the map file.
i made a thing
i made another thing
i made a new thing

former ttt mod
former dr admin
Staff 2017-2023
(02-22-2021, 01:23 PM)Derp Wrote: I do this to all my maps but instead I use a program called VIDE. Not sure if it’s better but just what I am used to. It packs the textures directly into the bsp so I don’t need to add any extra files to the map file.
thats basically what pakrat does just add the vtf through its interface and boom magic
Would you be able to give me a direct comparison of file sizes? We have to stay within a reasonable size per dink.
(02-22-2021, 02:43 PM)Battons Wrote: Would you be able to give me a direct comparison of file sizes? We have to stay within a reasonable size per dink.

In my experience with maps using VIDE some are actually smaller then the original map, some are bigger but not by that much. At most I've added roughly 20mb of css textures and very detailed custom textures. So far Dink has had no issues with file size of the maps I've sent and PH is running near a dozen of these maps.
Ex TTT Mod Dec 14, 2019 - Dec 14, 2019
Ex PH Mod April 14, 2019 - January 20, 2020
Ex PH Mod May 9, 2020 - May 27, 2022
Proud member of the RDMS
Ex Forum Admin May 6, 2022 - May 6, 2022
Former PH Map Editor

(02-22-2021, 03:05 PM)§dLt. Star Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 02:43 PM)Battons Wrote: Would you be able to give me a direct comparison of file sizes? We have to stay within a reasonable size per dink.

In my experience with maps using VIDE some are actually smaller then the original map, some are bigger but not by that much. At most I've added roughly 20mb of css textures and very detailed custom textures. So far Dink has had no issues with file size of the maps I've sent and PH is running near a dozen of these maps.
the reason i didnt mention vide is just because iv never heard of it and iv used pakrat for longer

deathrun_stone_dinks

deathrun_stone_test

the test one is the one where i pakratted 2 textures (as a test go figure) so i wont know how big of a change it is untill i completely add all of the textures
@Battons 

[Image: 5612a598f9c4b8ade6508e534fd971e2.png]

original vs the ones with textures

deathrun_stone_dinks_css

here is what happens to the map when it gets compiled and re-compiled 

-spawns are gone
-auto traps are gone
-alot of traps are gone
-the afk killer was gamershotted
-^same but with the teleports
-the deaths buttons are gone