Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the r word not be allowed to be said at all in the discord?
I feel like based off of responses in the discord I am in the minority with my opinion here, but let me explain.

Every single word you come into contact with has a pen and paper definition, whether its outdated is a whole different story. People can take something in an entirely different way than how you had originally meant it depending on a plethora of things.

A fictional scenario I want to bring up would go as follows: a friend and I are just messing around and I'm like "oh haha you're a dumbass." I can mean it in an entirely different way than he takes it. I could be just trying to have friendly banter, and on the opposite end he could find it extremely offensive. Or he just laughs at it too and says it right back.

An emotional meaning to a word is how you yourself would perceive it whenever you hear it. If a word or slur is used directly at someone to fuck with them then that should be against the rules yes, but if it is out of the blue and you say something like "oh that's so retarded," I don't really see how that is offensive and should be banned. It isn't directed to anyone.

I apologize for throwing out a differing opinion, but would love to have intellectual debates with people who have differing opinions than me.

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should the r word not be allowed to be said at all in the discord? - by ding - 03-14-2021, 09:54 PM