Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving your Internet connection for lower ping
This is an April Fools joke. If you follow this guide, god help you.

Hi,
Ping, latency, or how long it takes a piece of data to be sent from you to the server (and visa versa), has been almost the sole contributing factor to a poor multiplayer experience, tied with framerate. People in countries other than the United States suffer from high ping trying to connect to popular video game servers located in the United States, and the other way around. You may also have high ping from poor quality internet service, or a poor quality connection to your router.

So, how can I fix high ping to enjoy playing online games more?

Switch Internet Plans

Often, we upgrade our internet service plan for increased speed so we can do things like upload YouTube videos and stream high definition video without interruption. However, what isn't considered is that when you have so much bandwidth available, when you send data to somewhere on the internet, it can have a hard time finding its way back to you, leading to a higher round trip time, and as a result, your ping is higher.

The solution to this is to step your internet service plan down to an economy package to decrease your internet bandwidth. This improves how efficiently packets are routed to and from your home, lowering latency.

Place your WiFi router correctly

WiFi is the most common method of connecting computers to the internet. By using a wireless access point, or WAP (usually a router), we can send traffic back and forth wherever we want through thin air. A large part of optimizing how easily we can send data from the computer to our access point by either buying a more powerful access point or by placing our access point in the correct location in our home.

The cheapest option to improve your WiFi connection is to pick a good location for your access point. Ideally, your access point is going to be somewhere in your home, but not too close to the computer to prevent the signal from overwhelming your computer's wifi antenna (2-3 bars is good). If possible, move your access point near your microwave oven. The electronics inside the oven does a good job at making sure the antennas in your access point don't drift out of their designed frequency, increasing the efficiency of your access point and improving signal quality.

Optimize your computer's background tasks

Your computer's background tasks have a large effect on network performance. Having tasks running in the background using your network vs no background tasks makes a huge difference in your network latency. With Windows 8 and 10, you can use the task manager to see individual tasks using your network.

Optimally, you want a few tasks in the background downloading/uploading data to the internet, such as Netflix or Steam. This takes advantage of a trick in your router called Quality of Service (QoS), a feature that makes sure that high priority data such as game traffic is processed before lower priority traffic such as video streaming. By downloading extra data, we force the router's CPU to clock up to a higher speed to meet demand, which means that individual packets are processed much faster than normal.

I hope this guide helped you lower network latency, and I hope you enjoy playing all of your games more because of it.
Here are more useful guides that can help:
Increasing framerate in Garry's Mod
Redirecting FastDL traffic to the Steam Workshop
Creating fully featured macros using aliases and configs
I would recommend, If you can, always use an ethernet connection to get the most out of the internet speed you (or your parents ;) ) pay for!

If you are in a different room to the router or don't have ethernet running through the house you can actually make use copper cables in your electric wiring by using powerline adapters. However this relies on each of the adapters being on the say ring main or circuit, otherwise it will not work. If you are not sure, get your parents to check the fuse box in the house. To make sure the plug sockets by the router and in your room are on the same one.

By being on the same ring main, I mean both ends of the plug sharing the same electric cables. Diagram to help!

[Image: ring_circuit_overview.png]
Can you repeat that
just give me your credit card and i'll fix ur internet
[Image: gYIxK93.png]
(04-01-2021, 08:29 AM)Raider Hanks Wrote: just give me your credit card and i'll fix ur internet

Number: 5500 0000 0000 0004
Expiry Date: 13/2567
CVV: 666
Just move to the east coast, I believe the servers are hosted in Atlanta so south east.

For real thanks, I need this my computer has been struggling recently.