Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VOTE HERE TO BAN BHOPPING FROM DINKS
(04-21-2021, 08:18 PM)Russ the Stress Queen Wrote: Bunny hopping is not an exploit, it's Source engine physics working as they were programmed. Bunny hopping has been known since the release of Quake in 1996, and is still in games running the Source engine like Titanfall 2 and CS:GO. This "exploit" is 25 years old. If it was an exploit, it would have been patched before I was born. It's not an exploit.

Now onto the actual question, bunnyhopping should remain allowed. HOWEVER, as it stands right now, it's broken. This is because the sv_airaccelerate cvar is set to an extremely high value of 1000 (the default is 10) as I explained in this thread. This makes it extremely easy for players to build high speed and control movement extremely precisely in mid air.

This video shows a comparison of bunnyhopping with different values of sv_airaccelerate. Setting this value lower would solve a lot of the gripes about bunnyhopping being too powerful, because it would be much less easy to perform.

Now here is an opportunity for a compromise I can get behind! What would you suggest the acceleration value be changed to to be more fair?
(04-21-2021, 08:21 PM)Jaerixon Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 08:17 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 08:10 PM)Jaerixon Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 08:01 PM)Deadpool Wrote: Says bhoping discourages new players, but uses the knife every T round he has.

Bhopping and the knife are so entirely different it’s hilarious you’d even try to compare them. The knife gives you a single instance of advantage over one player, only on T rounds, whereas bhopping provides an advantage in EVERY interaction, innocent or t or detective. Bhopping is way more of an advantage-gaining exploit than the knife.
Last time I checked, bhopping doesn't instakill.

It doesn’t have to be “instakill” to be an advantage. Bhopping allows players to evade T’s and they literally cannot catch up unless they too can bhop. Imagine cheating to win and telling yourself you won because of your “skill”.
LOL ok I'll remember that next time you crouch jump halfway into the ceiling and break your hitbox so you can knife me
(04-21-2021, 08:24 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 08:18 PM)Russ the Stress Queen Wrote: Bunny hopping is not an exploit, it's Source engine physics working as they were programmed. Bunny hopping has been known since the release of Quake in 1996, and is still in games running the Source engine like Titanfall 2 and CS:GO. This "exploit" is 25 years old. If it was an exploit, it would have been patched before I was born. It's not an exploit.

Now onto the actual question, bunnyhopping should remain allowed. HOWEVER, as it stands right now, it's broken. This is because the sv_airaccelerate cvar is set to an extremely high value of 1000 (the default is 10) as I explained in this thread. This makes it extremely easy for players to build high speed and control movement extremely precisely in mid air.

This video shows a comparison of bunnyhopping with different values of sv_airaccelerate. Setting this value lower would solve a lot of the gripes about bunnyhopping being too powerful, because it would be much less easy and versatile.

Bhopping using the jump pack and bhopping without it are immensely different. Yes, the airaccel level is what allows people to instantly turn corners and all, but changing it caters to people who are garbage and punishes good players who have good movement. let's remove the jump pack instead thanks

just have dink change the values to have the jump pack either be a cosmetic item by basically removing the benefits it gives you or lower them enough to give you a small benefit without making it as awful as it is
i made a thing
i made another thing
i made a new thing

former ttt mod
former dr admin
Staff 2017-2023
This is completely out of the blue but here's a really, REALLY comprehensive article on how air strafing works: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...=184184420
(04-21-2021, 08:11 PM)Fleshlight Connoisseur Wrote: u can't bhop on ph or at the very least i haven't been able/ seen anyone on ph. TTT is fine with it as long as its legit

You can it's just a bit harder with the higher jump boost and different tickrate from TTT
TLDR This entire mess. All I know is that bhop is implemented within gmod and so therefore it IS playing the game the way it was intended therefore bhopping should not be banned. Next question.
[Image: 955ef7a32696f2e506ea3319fcb5017a.png][Image: Banned-Gravity-Small.jpg]
Resigned prop hunt trusted 4/16/2021 - 1/1/2022 <3
Jeeezzzz Jaerixion, you got shit on this thread LMAO 

Ultimately, at the end of the day, I get why you find bhopping irritating, but just let these people who don't touch grass on a regular basis (excluding Laced, as he mows/does maintenance on golf courses [i think] for his job) do their thing. 

There's no point to try and change something that clearly a significant amount of people are against getting rid of imo. The fact you got -13'ed on the initial post should be an indication that you're a minority with this opinion, and therefore you must cave to the dominant ideology.

Update: You got -20'ed AT LEAST throughout this entire thread, wow. That's pretty impressive.
(04-22-2021, 08:03 AM)David Wrote: (excluding Laced, as he mows/does maintenance on golf courses [i think] for his job) do their thing.
hi im mowing right now
(04-21-2021, 08:10 PM)Jaerixon Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 08:01 PM)Deadpool Wrote: Says bhoping discourages new players, but uses the knife every T round he has.

Bhopping and the knife are so entirely different it’s hilarious you’d even try to compare them. The knife gives you a single instance of advantage over one player, only on T rounds, whereas bhopping provides an advantage in EVERY interaction, innocent or t or detective. Bhopping is way more of an advantage-gaining exploit than the knife.
 I think we are at the same page.
(04-22-2021, 08:03 AM)David Wrote: Jeeezzzz Jaerixion, you got shit on this thread LMAO 

Ultimately, at the end of the day, I get why you find bhopping irritating, but just let these people who don't touch grass on a regular basis (excluding Laced, as he mows/does maintenance on golf courses [i think] for his job) do their thing. 

There's no point to try and change something that clearly a significant amount of people are against getting rid of imo. The fact you got -13'ed on the initial post should be an indication that you're a minority with this opinion, and therefore you must cave to the dominant ideology.

Update: You got -20'ed AT LEAST throughout this entire thread, wow. That's pretty impressive.

I did get shit on but it was for a worthy cause. I’m definitely not in the minority of all TTT players, just in the minority of the small group of people who frequent the forums and have logged a ridiculous amount of hours on this game. Hell, I tallied it up last night and the average playtime of players who downvoted me was like 500hrs or something. I have nothing against players who’ve invested a lot of the time here and contributed a lot to our community making their voices heard. I just want everyone to understand the innate bias of having discussions out of the game and on the forums. Just because players are more casual and choose not to come on the forums doesn’t mean they don’t have opinions on this subject or that their in-game experience shouldn’t be considered.

(04-22-2021, 08:29 AM)Laced Xanax Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 08:03 AM)David Wrote: (excluding Laced, as he mows/does maintenance on golf courses [i think] for his job) do their thing.
hi im mowing right now

Come mow my lawn plz. With your sick bhopping skills I’m sure you’d be done in no time.
Respect your elders
(04-22-2021, 08:56 AM)Jaerixon Wrote:  Just because players are more casual and choose not to come on the forums doesn’t mean they don’t have opinions on this subject or that their in-game experience shouldn’t be considered.

Oh trust me, I'm aware of this and I agree with you to some extent. I personally find bhopping annoying; however, you sometimes just have to pick and choose which battles to fight, and I think this one wasn't worth fighting. 

To quote one of my favorite trolls, GM Nate: "There are two types of people who play in this community: those who just play on the server to hang out, and those who use the forums." 

The casuals aren't going to try going through the effort of changing something because at the end of the day, all they're really looking for is a chill gmod server to relax on. Despite its inequities, this community has a solid set of servers going on, so I don't really think you need to worry about advocating for this.