Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrades, people! Upgrades!
I've thought about what I'm going to say for quite a while.  I want this to be as impersonal and constructive as possible.

I am concerned with how you interact with trolls on the server and by extension the forums.
Before I get into that, I want to state that some of this is probably because (as Wilfry said), you staff later in the evening than most.  I go to bed early on weekdays, Ryzif used to work nights, etc.  You haven't been able to get as much hands-on training as someone like Wilfry has.

1. Strictness
I consider myself to be pretty strict, but I believe you take being strict too far.  I've come to this conclusion by watching the footage from your ban requests, abuse threads, and the times that we've staffed together.  The most important piece of advice I got when I was starting to staff was actually from Nuru; she told me that one of the most important ways to "control" a lobby is to recognize when to steer troll conversations to something else organically and when to put my foot down.  If you always act like a hammer, then everything begins to look like a nail.  If you come down too hard and on the smallest things, then that leads to the trolls fighting back much more often.

2. Dealing with Trolls
Being too strict can lead to fights, but when these happen it's important that we work to defuse the situation.  On 4/11, I had to ask you to not incite a troll.  The trolls want you to interact with them.  What Ryzif taught me to do when I was trusted is to either 1. ignore the comments they make because most trolls get bored super quickly, 2. tell them where they can make an abuse thread, or 3. proceed with appropriate gags/mutes should what they say cross a line.  Simply questioning a gag/mute doesn't automatically jump to staff disrespect.  I use my gag/mute commands all the time, but I rarely ever have to do anything for staff disrespect because of how I manage the trolls.

3. Jumping the Gun
This is my biggest issue which ties into #1 and #2, and was mentioned by the others above.  I think this is more serious than the others though.
I'm worried that with how strict you are, you'll move onto the ban portion of protocols well before other staff would.  Ryzif and I have both had to remind you about the proper protocol for the slurs/racism portion of the guidelines because you've skipped the warnings multiple times before. 
Yesterday, I dealt with a ban request by chaos.  In that ban request, you kicked someone for cheating and mentioned that they were hacking to other staff.  However, I believe that player was just ghosting based on all of the videos presented and even if they were hacking, there definitely was not enough evidence to support a hacking ban at that time.  I sent you a message on discord breaking things down in more detail.  Staff are not infallible and can make mistakes.  When it comes to evidence gathering, more > less.  I like to play devil's advocate with myself when I'm collecting evidence, trying to argue on the person's behalf to get them unbanned.  If I can still make a compelling argument for an unban, I haven't collected enough.

My vote is -1/+0.  Everything above can be addressed, and I might change my vote if I have enough confidence that you won't jump the gun with bans.

Messages In This Thread
Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by BIIG_SAD - 04-18-2022, 05:21 PM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by August - 04-18-2022, 05:36 PM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by Wrom - 04-18-2022, 06:27 PM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by Wilfry - 04-18-2022, 07:38 PM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by Salty - 04-19-2022, 06:26 AM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by I EAT HAMSTERS - 04-19-2022, 10:57 AM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by BIIG_SAD - 04-19-2022, 10:56 PM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by BIIG_SAD - 04-21-2022, 12:43 AM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by BIIG_SAD - 04-21-2022, 10:17 PM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by Damien - 04-22-2022, 02:10 AM
RE: Upgrades, people! Upgrades! - by Salty - 04-24-2022, 07:02 AM