Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Silencing Marginalized Voices
PREFACE
One of our generous Benefactors decided that this post about community response certain behaviors was not on topic in the discussion about community response to certain behaviors that it was originally posted, but I still think it's important to consider. So, I have made this thread to keep the sanctity of the original thread and to appease Him.

Marginalization of Unconventional Community Members and Persons of Horizontal Diversion
Whose voices matter? Whose words should be heard, and whose words should be deleted?
When we have an open, honest discussion about important topics like transphobia in Dinklebergs, how should we handle incorrect opinions and reductive dissension?

While on issues such as this we can all agree that there is a wrong side to take, I think it's important not to silence that wrong side with institutional marginalization, regardless of how inflammatory, indelicate or mean-spirited that voice may be. Not only is it important for the transparency of the community to understand who stands on what issues, it is important for its healing and the growth of its participants afterwords to be able to look back on their input. For the community, it is a way to gauge with open clarity exactly what individuals hold the problem opinions. For the individual, it offers a chance to revisit their own state of mind and involvement in the topic, and in the best case scenario to learn from their past selves as they can view them through the clear lens of hindsight. When that past self has been scrubbed from the record, not only does the community lose access to valuable context and personal histories but the individuals within often meet their suppression with frustration, closing both sides of the debate to mutual understanding and, eventually, respect. A silenced voice considers how make itself be heard, not how to understand the person it is talking to; it will not change its message, only shout louder.

How does one resolve a dispute? By declaring the righteousness of one party, and pigeonholing another? Would it not be better to meet unhelpful criticisms with invitation for elaboration? Rather than be silenced and forgotten, these voices should be directly addressed, conversed with in the open and made to understand their harmful ways of thinking. When confronted with these voices, would it not be best to prove them wrong in their convictions by clearing their haze of emotion and negativity with open-minded logic and reasoning rather than excluding them from the conversation altogether?

In some cases we might consider these silenced voices to be immature, that rather than coming from a point of malice they may simply not understand the clear and objective line between joking and serious topics. But consider this: What if each individual person has a different definition of that line? What if each human being had a wholly unique perspective to which they approach the world around them? Is it fair to impress upon them our own, to assure that our ideals of maturity and right-mindedness is the most correct approach? And if so, is it fair to place the weight of that line, that mentality upon them without first civilizing them by educating them on the correct placement of lines to cross and second understanding their own moral structure and what it means to do right by them? Is the Chinese Communist Party right to enforce their system of morality on the Uyghurs, without even understanding their position first? Was it fair for Bagosora to decide what a Tutsi's words meant, regardless of their actual content? Perhaps I am somewhat biased, having been the target of staff suppression myself before, but I believe every person's words deserve to be heard, and to deny them that is terribly dehumanizing.

We as a community have decided that rather than to simply turn a blind eye to harassment by blocking or, even worse, ignoring the perpetrators and have, through our rules and guidelines, made a commitment to protecting ourselves from their harmful speech. To protect ourselves most effectively from this sort of antisocial behavior, the solution is to break the cycle of conflict, to build friendships, to cultivate a higher understanding of ourselves and each other. I know some may be opposed to that, but it is my personal opinion. Looking forward to community discussion! :)
the only sneaven ill be sent to... iis when ill be snalone with you
[Image: xLQeam1.jpg]
[Image: 6db.jpg]
I do not think it is a good idea to leave people who post inflammatory and offensive things to remain in the community regardless of the kind of "healing" that can be brought about by looking back on these posts. I think it's better to get them out of here and bring the community back to a safer place for these marginalized players.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
Honestly, i think the best thing to do is to just go to the store and buy a few things and then go back to the store to get the stuff you need to get it for the next day or two and then go back to the store for the next day or two to get it and then go back to the store again and get it for you and then you can just go back to the store and get it and then you can just get it for free and then you can just buy it for the next day or the next day and then you can just pay for it and then you can just have it for the next day or whatever you want to do it for the next day or you can just go back to the store and then you can just get it for the next day or something like that and then you can just go to the store or something like that and then you can just pay for the next day or the next day and then you can just go to the store for the next day or whatever you want to do the next day or two and then you can just go to the store and then you can just go to the store you can just buy the stuff and then you can just go to the store or whatever you want to do it for you and then you can go to the store for the next day or two or whatever you want to do it you can just go to the store and you can go to the store but you can go to your house and you can just go to the store you can go to my house and you can get the stuff you want to go to the store or whatever you want to do whatever you want to get the stuff that you want to do the stuff that you need to do the things that you want to do it you can do the stuff that you can do it you can do that you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can. 

I don’t think you can do it but i can do it and you can do it and i can do it for you and you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and then you can do it and you have a good job so i think that’s a great way of getting people into the game so that they don’t get into it too long or they don’t get to spend money and they don’t get bored of the games and they don’t want you getting into the hobby so you just want you can play with your money so they don’t get a free games you don’t get to do the games that they don’t want you to do the same as you get to do all of them and you get a lot more fun you can get more people to do it and you get more money you can get some friends and you get to get more friends you get to have a good time you just like to be a little more people to play games you get more friends that are like a little bit of fun you can play with you get more fun you can do that and you get a little more money you can get a little better people that are good friends that you want and you get to do all the stuff that you’re gonna want and then. 

In short, you can do it all the time and you can do it again and again and again and again you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do it again and you can do. 

Thank you.
I would like to share the concept of Popper’s Tolerance Paradox here. This recent situation was willful and intentional intolerance and as a community by being intolerant to such intolerance it makes it a better community for all
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
I really can't tell if shitpost, but just in case?

I don't think it's in the community's best interest to meet people who express hateful/discriminatory views where they're at and try to make them see reason. This isn't a correctional facility, or /r/ChangeMyView. We want a welcoming environment for people to come and have a good time hanging out and playing games, and tolerating hate towards others on the basis of their identity isn't conducive to that imo. Maliciously invalidating someone's identity isn't an "opinion". Asking people on the receiving end of targeted harassment "well have you considered that their views may just be different from yours?" just adds insult to injury.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Got no fuckin' clue what this is referencing, but it was a pretty good read. 
I might start using the centered format for some of my posts.
Whatever you're smoking or injecting, I need a hit of that too.
"Tolerating" the behaviour we saw from Fanta and try to reason with them while they double down on shitty takes only ends up in setting a precedent that hate is allowed here. It brings more toxic figures in. You end up being taken over by toxic players and all the people who are sick of their behaviour just end up leaving
I think there are enough true gamer communities like that already for one to join if they really want to do a changemymind thing
i’d agree with this if we were just talking about normal disagreements and whoever is on the minority opinion side… by that i mean like just general things like politics, economics, crime, etc like real stuff not hateful comments. but with the recent event i don’t think doing something like this is in the server’s best interest just because of how bad that precedent is. depending on who was around whenever someone said or did something it’ll still be brought up later on because stuff spreads here.
I don't understand how you have the time or energy to come up with such an impressive amount of word vomit for that which could be condensed down to about 1-2 sentences.
I'm rarely this critical, but your lengthy essays are the very definition of talking a lot, but saying very little.

However, to address what you've said, our community would be significantly smaller if we tolerated harassment, racism, sexism, etc. The number of people that want to be in to this community, have fun, and not be toxic is significantly larger than those that want to be "turds in the punch bowl" like Fanta. More importantly, allowing harassment, racism, sexism, etc. would de-facto mean that we condone such behavior. If it ever got to the point where we as a community decided that such things are okay, then that would be my cue to leave the community.
[Image: ZN1HpFb.png]
it's okay to say slurs because that's just my unique perspective and i'm the truly marginalized one because people are trying to force me to stop saying slurs (oppression) (censorship) (1984)
[Image: gBkzZod.png]