Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slurs
(10-31-2022, 06:00 PM)Damien Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

This is the ONLY definition I get when I google "Tranny meaning". It's a pretty popular slur. Don't know how you don't know it but I still believe you were talking about car stuff. Regardless, it's still a slur and it's insta warned like any other slur.
Not to complain but only showing the first of three definition google gives and claiming its the only one is a bit weird. .

But either way its considered a slur here foremost since that is now what the word is commonly used for by majority of people that will be playing Gmod or any other game that you can message or say stuff back an forward.

Also I love being -1 for given my point of view. Like its 100% true half the slurs that get thrown around here I have rarely seen before I started playing here. Maybe I didn't hang around with the groups of people blindly used slurs as kids, maybe I just didn't get out and interact a boat ton as a kid but how is that something you can hold against me I don't known.
(10-31-2022, 06:05 PM)chibill Wrote: Not to complain but only showing the first of three definition google gives and claiming its the only one is a bit weird. .
That's the main one google shows, the other ones you have to specifically click on other translations/meanings to get to them. My fault for saying it was the only one.
(10-31-2022, 06:03 PM)Reina Wrote: you do this kind of thing with the n word on the discord server too, where you say a slur and then complain that there were repercussions and come up with an excuse. you need to just get over the fact that you can't say slurs, even if you've come up with 50 different reasons why you specifically should be allowed to get away with using them. the rules weren't changed the first time you complained, and they still won't be changed the 20th time you complain.

seriously dude, just get over it.
Reina this wasn't intentional by means.
[Image: its-vodka-vodka.gif]
[Image: iDqoMOs.png]

guys i get this when i goog...
(10-31-2022, 05:43 PM)coco?? Wrote: Have you really never heard that used as a slur before? Ok, if thats the case, now you know to not say it again. However, can you imagine if we didn't instantly gag/mute/warn people for slurs and left it up to intention and discretion. Everyone would be slurring, then claiming they 'meant it as something else' or 'didnt know what it meant'. It would just be a free pass to slur. If you really didn't know that word was a slur, then thats unfortunate and I'm sorry, but we have to punish slurs equally.

This pretty much sums up what I think, I dislike that its a slur considering a lot of car people use it to refer as transmission but whatever, not everyone shares my take on it so its better to just not say it.
I've definitely said that word around people I shouldn't have on accident talking about car stuff so I get the mistake, but its no big deal to just take the 5 minute mute and remember to try not to do it again... if we started allowing slurs in not-slur context people are gonna troll with it and be all like BUH I WAS TALKING ABOUT CARS!!!!! WTF ADMINS
(10-31-2022, 06:04 PM)A Steel Waffle Wrote: Informal meaning

Yes, we KNOW it has another meaning. Damien already gave you an example of how that isn't an excuse for other slurs, so why would it be for this one? 
It's not that hard to accept it had a meaning you didn't know, put up with the warn (it will go away, y'know?) and just say 'transmission' as a full word from now on.
Hi Steel, 

Honestly, it’s a learned lesson that should not have been blown out of proportion this way. Considering that you are upset and didn’t realize you knew it was a slur, I recommend brushing this off your shoulder. It was an accident, staff interpreted it as something else to a slur which has different meaning for two different topics and you got warned. I personally wouldn’t take this to the extent it is now and try to enforce it as a word to be used. I understand it’s condensed version for the word for transmission but it should be let go already. The warn will go away in 3 months and you’ll know better to not say it. For including the definition of slurs in the guidelines and MOTD, no. Deadpool stated it very well and would be very unnecessary to include. Brush it off and learn. 

-slater

Edit: There’s also staff discretion which is solely there to make sure staff know and differentiate what are slurs and what are not slurs. Unnecessary to include over +250 words with multiple definitions on a guidelines document.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of slurs. It is impossible to expect staff to compile a list. When in doubt use common sense and context of the situation.

To my knowledge this was not the first time you were warned to not use such word. Move on from here.
[Image: rdm-corp-squarelogo-1446787792629.png]
I understand the point and I do agree to a certain extend that we should at least list which words are no-go in terms of slurs.

I got a lot of heat for this a few months ago, but I am of the opinion that slurs are words, such as the n-word rhyming with figure, f word rhyming with maggot, k word rhyming with like, etc. that are clearly not contextually used for any purposd other than to be a slur (I don't really buy the context of British cigarette being discussed ever in server).

However, as someone who is employed in the automotive industry and works on transmissions, "tranny" is a common and acceptable substitution for a vehicle transmission, which is a critical component of just about all vehicle powertrains. When under the context of vehicle repair, "tranny" shouldn't be remotely considered in terms of staffing. It isn't a slur. It is a vehicle part.

However, if someone comes on server and says "Fuck you, Tranny," this is clearly derogatory language and should be warned as such.

I've fought for months to clarify the difference between slurs (bad under all contexts) and derogatory language (context-sensitive). All I got was flamed and belittled, but I still stand my ground on this issue.

Also if any less-common slurs, such as "darkie" are going to be treated as slurs, they should be specified. As a once super active moderator, I only warn for n-slur, f slur, k slur as slurs. Anything else is context sensitive and falls under derogatory language. Discord is set up in this manner, and the use of "Tranny" won't trigger an auto strike. However, if used in any inappropriate contexts, it is treated just like any other bad word.

Edit: I'm in a very precarious minority here, and I also need to add that automotive conversations should be started just to cover up the use of the word. There is very few instances where this is appropriate.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks