Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slurs
(10-31-2022, 07:40 PM)A Steel Waffle Wrote: I had no ill intent yet am damned to be called a transphobic person.

No one (to my knowledge) is calling you transphobic. Kaiwan and I have actually agreed in the past after you made an unintentionally offensive comment that you're just oblivious, not a transphobe. The issue here is that you're not the only one affected by the rules and how they're applied to individual players. Ok'ing your usage of a slur in a non-offensive context just setting the example that there's an undefined line that allows the use of that word.

Even if it is only being used in the context of cars, there is no exact number of times someone else can use it in a single discussion before it should be considered baiting. That's a variable that seems obvious enough, but you can't quantify intentions. The best way to discourage minges is to take away as many variables as you can, and the reason you've given, no matter how legitimate you think it is, only reinforces those variables. It may seem unfair to you, but it's pretty damn close to the exact opposite.
Jammin said it best; I agree with what he said whole-heartedly. There should be a clear distinction between what is considered a slur and what not. It isn’t something that should be mocked or belittled; if someone is referring to a transmission with that and isn’t clearly trying to just avoid the slur rules or go in the gray area, then it shouldn’t be punished.

The issue becomes whether or not staff want to make the work more complicated for them or not; if they choose not to to do that route, I get it. I just think it might be something worth considering for the future, so we don’t get threads like this in the future.
(10-31-2022, 08:16 PM)Salty Wrote: The issue becomes whether or not staff want to make the work more complicated for them or not

giving the same punishment any time someone uses a word is more complicated than deciphering whether or not someone is actually talking about cars when everyone gives the exact same excuse? interesting take
(10-31-2022, 08:19 PM)Reina Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 08:16 PM)Salty Wrote: The issue becomes whether or not staff want to make the work more complicated for them or not

giving the same punishment any time someone uses a word is more complicated than deciphering whether or not someone is actually talking about cars when everyone gives the exact same excuse? interesting take

You entirely misread what I said. The more complicated part would be whether or not something is derogatory or just a reference to shorthand for car. Clearly if someone says "Shut up Tranny" they're calling someone a derogatory term.
i'm pretty sure more people know the slur than the car slang
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
Personally, I find it easier to just not allow the use of the word in ANY context (like the way we currently enforce these things) rather than have this grey area where we have to decide whether or not the usage of it was appropriate given the context.

Just a me thing though, I guess.
(10-31-2022, 08:21 PM)Salty Wrote:

You entirely misread what I said. The more complicated part would be whether or not something is derogatory or just a reference to shorthand for car. Clearly if someone says "Shut up Tranny" they're calling someone a derogatory term.

That's an incredibly obvious example that completely evades my point. Now what if someone says "You should shoot that t-slur over there" while looking in the direction of a trans player standing in front of a car, then they proceed to RDM the player while unloading bullets into the hood of the car. Clearly they were talking about the player, but now the staff member can decide that since they don't like the trans player and their friend was the one who said it, it was just RDM with a silly joke about cars. Or, on the other hand, the staff member can warn the player and then have to deal with a 5-page forum post about how it's not fair that they got warned because they were talking about cars, then the direction in which the post goes also depends on how well-liked each player is.

Not every situation is going to clearly be one extreme or the other, so it's best to disallow use of the slur entirely.
(10-31-2022, 08:00 PM)aeth0r Wrote: FADED THAN A HO
FADED THAN A HO
FADED THAN A HO
Bro what? Id like this if I knew what it meant
[Image: its-vodka-vodka.gif]
(10-31-2022, 08:21 PM)Salty Wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with this. We shouldn't be making things more complicated, especially this. We should be making things more simple. If anything I think we'll get more threads rather than less where we're going to be constantly litigating whether something someone said was in that "gray area" or not. It'll create headaches for the staff and be more trouble than it's worth. Not to mention, people will abuse that so much. They'll purposely find ways to troll with it and bend the rule as much as possible and try to get away with it because of that gray area. 

So I think it's better to not allow it in any context, even if it has an alternative legitimate meaning. It creates too much of a gray area and I frankly don't trust the TTT player base to use it appropriately like that. I think we'll have scenarios where people try to pass off the f slur again as meaning a bundle of sticks, there's also a food called the f slur (as an example).

There are just endless possibilities where someone will try to skirt around that kind of rule and use the gray area as excuse. Then they'll try to grandstand about how they didn't mean to be offensive/derogatory
probably should just close this thread. Think it's served its purpose enough at this point.