Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context
(12-06-2022, 10:18 PM)Reina Wrote: *snip*
I guess that I should clarify what I meant when relying to both Reina and Gave. You both bring up very fair points.  I should state that I am generally against posting anonymously on apps since it is where public debate takes place.  However, I think that whether an anonymous post is allowed in the public, it has been so for a reason.

Also to address the "passing judgement" statement, that's more a semantical argument.  I personally believe that it would be better to fault the post for it's arguments and engage with them in a productive and meaningful way as opposed to just labeling it "toxic" and moving on.  That statement didn't, in my mind, address any of the points the argument raised and was just another way of saying "this argument is dumb" which is a point that the initial comment brought up: "disregards others opinions as troll behavior".  You also characterized it as "hiding behind other community members without a valid reason to avoid taking responsibility for one's words", passing judgement on them and projecting your own feelings on top of theirs, implying that their feelings are invalid and they are only doing this to stir trouble, which is doing the exact same thing you have faulted them for: making an unfair argument lacking evidence that someone can't respond to.
That's why I said it was more of an attack on the character of the poster, since you just dismissed their concerns as invalid and heavily implied they only did this to stir the pot.

I do agree with you that context is important, and I believe that if there was evidence it should be posted redacted (as in the case of harassment bans evidence).  I would say however that Gabe laid out my beliefs pretty well in his response when it comes to anonymous posts in general.  I just took issue with the idea that everyone who posts criticism anonymously should not be allowed to do and should be forced to put themselves out in public, thereby just removing that opinion from the discussion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 03:11 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 10:17 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 01:32 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 10:18 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by Ckg - 12-06-2022, 11:29 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 11:46 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-07-2022, 12:50 AM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 02:25 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by Frosty (2) - 12-06-2022, 02:21 PM
RE: Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context - by reinaberg - 12-07-2022, 01:07 AM
hfdhfd - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 12:30 AM
gdfgdfdgf - by J@CK XDDD - 12-06-2022, 01:07 AM
dhfhdf - by tiefling lesbian - 12-06-2022, 01:12 AM
gdf - by reinaberg - 12-06-2022, 01:32 AM
gdsgds - by Battons - 12-06-2022, 01:54 AM