Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prop Hunt Evolution
I doubt Dink reads anything on forums from non-staff, prop hunt threads nonetheless. That does not mean I can not try. I have a hypothetical process on how we can improve Prop Hunt.
Step 1)
From what I have heard from regulars, there are trust issues left by the past Co-Owner/Developer. So, step 1 is simple: Get over the trust issues.

Let me explain it a "little." So basically, this thing happens all the time in communities across multitudes of games. I have personally witnessed this on 3 different occasions back in Counter-Strike. Their solution was quite simple. They demoted and blacklisted the rogue co-owner and continued on with their lives and communities by just communicating with their fellow players until someone responsible and mature enough rose up to handle a Co. position. Mind you, these are communities on the brink of death as the game is so old it loses hundreds to thousands of players by the month.
Quote:Faber said:
RE: "...responsible and mature enough rose up..."
Whether or not people have attempted this since then is not my concern, solely that is.
Step 2)
If you simply can not dedicate any time to the community because of real-life complications or matters, reread step 1 as if this was the first sentence and kind of adjust certain parts of it with your brain so it makes more sense.
Step 3)
Reread Steps 1-2 because you probably skipped to the smallest-to-read step.
Code:
<hr></hr>
Now, for the issues directly related to Prop Hunt.
If anything about the lack of a non-dink, active developer gets attention, there are some things that could be fixed. Other things could be added for QoL. The rest is for funsies.
Fixes
  • The missing textures as pictures for maps in votes.
  • Faster response to a map's removal from the workshop and the issues that ensue.
  • Patchwork on the ph_dimmsdale map. Whether by the creator or someone else (maybe me if he is trusting). It has culling bugs, an abundance of nonsolid brushes that props can submerge inside of, and could be touched up via brushwork and bug fixing.
  • If it can be helped, fix the issue of props disappearing and causing a massive amount of issues in the console as well the negative effect on performance for the player. Alternatively, add some useful, common commands in the MOTD followed by and brief summary of what they can do. To new players, this issue can be a turn-off and make them think they need some game they do not want to get to see the props that should already be there.
  • A system for a grace period to sell removed models then deletes them automatically so people can not appear as errors. Another turn-off to new players. It also confuses them into thinking it is a prop.
  • Edit the point shop plugin/addon (if possible) to add a box opening cooldown just as the gambling machine has a cooldown. This will fix the bug that occasionally duplicates rewards.
  • Restrict the yellow chair to props. It is broken.
  • Fix jump pack inconsistency.
  • Fix the "Top 3" player reward GUI to fit the actual rewards. It shows 2nd and 3rd place players the same exact rewards while they actually give less than shown.
QoL
  • Some sort of basic anti-cheat detection.
  • A monthly map set cycle to keep things spiced up. About 3 different sets.
  • Maps locked/unlocked based on player population and general map sizes (small/medium/large) and/or amount of props.
  • Add Garry's Mod hints about locking rotation so players who miss out on the information in the PH guide in F1 get the basics.
  • ^ This but also F4 menu for prop choosing.
  • ^ Again, but also teaching how to bet.
  • Option to disable the above 3 suggestions (along with a hint on how to)
  • Block maps from the vote if they are too recently played. (Adjusted if using maps locked/unlocked suggestion)
  • Add a server redirect command to connect a player to another server within the Dinkleberg server network as well as an option for players to have a brief period to type something such as "/follow" to join their friends.
  • Keeping the current map list in the "!spots" illegal spot list more up-to-date. 

Additions
  • New maps... please... for the love of god. Personal request: ph_tandem_dinks (twoside remastered)
  • Add RNG rewards to every daily reward aside from the 7th day.
  • Point bonuses to players who play an entire map from round 1 to the end whether due to time running out or reaching round 10.
  • Point rewards to people who play taunts. The length of the taunt gives more. Taunt must be played fully to grant a reward.
  • A "Word of the Day" custom plugin where a random word is chosen and if someone guesses it, they get a lil reward.
  • Add new taunts that include memes and other random things. Also, update it every now and then. New taunts based on polls.
While TTT, Murder, and DR player opinions are welcome, I would much appreciate responses from people who know the pain. The people who play PH more than the others know what PH needs.
A lot of the first couple of steps don't really apply to me as I'm more of a newcomer.

Now step 3 is where the action seems to take place. Also, not a whole lot really affects me.

Fixes:
Pretty much most, if not all, I agree with.

QoL:
1. A monthly map set cycle to keep things spiced up. About 3 different sets.
-to me this is a great idea, not entirely hard to enact

2. Maps locked/unlocked based on player population and general map sizes (small/medium/large) and/or amount of props
-also a great idea, and I do not believe it would be that hard to do

3. Block maps from the vote if they are too recently played. (Adjusted if using maps locked/unlocked suggestion)
-yes

4. Keeping the current map list in the "!spots" illegal spot list more up-to-date
-refer to #1
For starters, we can't exactly do much about the Co-Owner situation because only dink can give that role.
For the fixes, I can't really comment on any of those except for the jumppack. I belive it should be removed entirely and just giving a sort of low gravity/higher jump effect of sorts that equals the height given from the jumppack.
For QoL changes, I'm not sure how well an Anti-Cheat for gmod would work. Maps being locked/unlocked depending on size and player sounds like a great idea (though complicated) if implemented correctly, except for the fact that I feel like it may annoy some players as well as potentially stopping some players from joining till the map changes. Blocking recently picked maps would be a godsend. Keeping the illegal spots list up to date is mandatory imo, and should definitely be done.
For Additions, Everything seems fine except for rng daily rewards, that just sounds annoying.
[Image: image.png]
you spitting mad facts but good luck actually getting any of that to happen :(

Edit: I joined this community 6 years ago playing PH, and getting things fixed or improved was just as hard back then as it was now. It doesn't matter if you are an admin, or even co-owner, all you can do is send a message to dink and hope for a response within the month. The co-owner trust issue thing has been brought up at least once a year, nothing ever happens, nothing helps, nothing gets better, I have lost hope and I have no idea how the server admins (bless their heart) have the patience to get anything improved on this server. It's a miracle we get new content at all. A PH server I used to manage around 4 years ago (SG Classic Prophunt in case you're wondering which) got bought by a full time forklift operator and that server gets more updates and attention in a month than our server gets in a year.
Any one of the three PH admins would love to be co-owner, but there hasn't been a new co-owner for any of the servers in years because...the last co-owner did everything in their power to lock Dink out of the server and take it over for themselves (at least that's what I was told by some of the old guard).

It took us months to just get new models. Right now we are trying to get Dink to add in some backend fixes for us. Once that's done, we will ask him for the maps. We already have the new map rotation, but we've found we need to request updates in small batches. I know it's really frustrating, but there is only so much we can do.
I don't know what I could say about this, especially since I'm newer and joined this server around sometime late last year, but I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here. I would also add a fix for the flashlight if possible. When you die as a hunter with it on, it's impossible to turn it off, and as I frequently come across ghosters, cheaters, hackers, etc. it's a little hard to convey that it's my flashlight when I record and spectate them trying to prove they don't even use the flashlight, they just know where props are without trying. As for a new co-owner, I don't really have suggestions for that, I however wouldn't mind if there is a change to ranks just to help when trusted and staff aren't on or are not able to get on right away. I know a few regulars, including myself, are willing to gag mic spammers, kick obvious cheaters, etc. but I also understand if no one wants that change made. I'm just not in a position to apply for staff and work part-time in keeping the server in check, even though I wouldn't mind helping out when I do get on to play. I wish you the best of luck in implementing these changes!!