Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Changes to Reputation System and Some Thoughts
Love this change. And on the topic of threads being locked too quickly, if there are issues like uncivil discussion or shitposting on a serious thread, I’d like to see web staff (or even the relevant admins) posting to remind people to stay on track for a productive discussion. On the other hand, just because a thread is divisive, doesn’t mean it’s bad. Mutually respectful discourse can still happen in a hot-topic thread.

Lovely and speedy work Gabe and Ryan. Many props to you (not the tiefling kind).
L take, about to cry about not being able to -rep rn
[Image: unknown.png]
(03-28-2024, 10:00 AM)Wilfry Wrote: L take, about to cry about not being able to -rep rn
womp womp
Another possible solution that could work quite nicely is just removing negative rep completely. That way people won't have complaints about their funny internet points going down, and we can still observe positive takes on issues.
Thoughts?
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
(03-28-2024, 04:37 PM)Foxka Wrote: Another possible solution that could work quite nicely is just removing negative rep completely. That way people won't have complaints about their funny internet points going down, and we can still observe positive takes on issues.
Thoughts?

It is possible, I considered doing this when I reintroduced rep as many image boards I follow do this, but personally felt that having the -1 available would allow people to disagree without feeling the need to comment, thus keeping bloat and redundancy comments to a minimum.
TLDR it can be done if gabe wanted to.
(03-28-2024, 04:42 PM)Battons Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 04:37 PM)Foxka Wrote: Another possible solution that could work quite nicely is just removing negative rep completely. That way people won't have complaints about their funny internet points going down, and we can still observe positive takes on issues.
Thoughts?

It is possible, I considered doing this when I reintroduced rep as many image boards I follow do this, but personally felt that having the -1 available would allow people to disagree without feeling the need to comment, thus keeping bloat and redundancy comments to a minimum.
TLDR it can be done if gabe wanted to.

Old forums had a built-in system where you could only -rep a post once a day. Kinda odd, but another possible solution.
former admin2
(03-27-2024, 09:50 PM)Jammin Wrote: -snip-
I will encourage our forum staff to punish those who shitpost, instead of simply deleting posts, and punish those who get into pointless arguments.

-snip-

Since the reputation system will no longer be able to self-regulate brainrot takes, it will be important to keep the shitposting out of important threads.
I encourage the community at large to post your opinion and be done with it - don't keep piling on 5-6 posts on an important thread, and keep your assholery to yourselves.

I agree with most of what you said Jammin, except that I don't think the rep system did anything to regulate brainrot/shit posting.  If the person is a popular member of the community, people tended to +rep their shit posting.  I think forum staff/admins being proactive about removing shitposts from serious discussions is super important just like you said.
[Image: ZN1HpFb.png]
(03-28-2024, 05:27 PM)chelllman Wrote:

I agree with most of what you said Jammin, except that I don't think the rep system did anything to regulate brainrot/shit posting.  If the person is a popular member of the community, people tended to +rep their shit posting.  I think forum staff/admins being proactive about removing shitposts from serious discussions is super important just like you said.
Ya know, removing rep does remove brainrot rep, so maybe that's worthwhile
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(03-29-2024, 07:46 PM)Jammin Wrote:
(03-28-2024, 05:27 PM)chelllman Wrote:

Ya know, removing rep does remove brainrot rep, so maybe that's worthwhile
I didn't wanna say it but this whole rep system seems like more trouble than its worth.
let's kill the forums and remove rep again :D