Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA: Steam Scam
So did they gain access to your friends account through the Valve impersonation or did they already have access from a link your friend may have pressed or some other method? I am just a little confused how a fake Valve steam account got into his account unless he believe that it was a Valve account and gave away his information. Sorry for your friends loss of items :(
⚠️ IMPORTANT SCAM PSA ⚠️
Theres a new scam going around that's not very obvious and can be easy to fall for! If you see a tunnel that looks like the image on the left, DON'T RUN INTO IT!
(more info in thread ?)
[Image: GKcHxtjawAAK86Z.jpg%3Alarge?format=webp&...height=274]
[Image: ezgif.com-effects.gif?ex=66308f7a&is=661...height=424]
find more through my linktree | Never Forget | My emotinal support cat Green Bean | Smiling Over Orange City (spotify)
(04-26-2024, 12:32 AM)(DEMON)Skullfire Wrote: So did they gain access to your friends account through the Valve impersonation or did they already have access from a link your friend may have pressed or some other method? I am just a little confused how a fake Valve steam account got into his account unless he believe that it was a Valve account and gave away his information. Sorry for your friends loss of items :(
Sounds like they already had access and used that to get basic private information and manipulate the person into rushing to swap around items
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
(04-25-2024, 09:32 PM)Dildo Shwaggins Wrote: He’s a grown man, don’t give him stranger danger lessons like he’s a 9 year old

this fucking killed me LMAO
(04-26-2024, 07:26 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 09:32 PM)Dildo Shwaggins Wrote: He’s a grown man, don’t give him stranger danger lessons like he’s a 9 year old

this fucking killed me LMAO
Me too.
[Image: fBz8ezO.png]   
(04-26-2024, 12:32 AM)(DEMON)Skullfire Wrote: So did they gain access to your friends account through the Valve impersonation or did they already have access from a link your friend may have pressed or some other method? I am just a little confused how a fake Valve steam account got into his account unless he believe that it was a Valve account and gave away his information. Sorry for your friends loss of items :(
 Yeah we did some digging after the fact and found that no IP had accessed his Steam Account for at least a month which means that its more than likely that they grabbed a token from a website to get access to the account itself. Weird stuff though, because during the attack he reported that his computer started to run slow and you could visibly see his mouse start jittering which, to me, means that if they had access to his PC it had been for a while. The most sus shit he does is gamble on skinclub and similar sites.

The reason I bring it up on the thread though is because again, I have never seen an attack this intricate and I view myself as someone who could probably see a scam coming and avoid it from a mile away, but had this happened to me and not him the result would have been the exact same. The PSA is, at the end of the day the best target for a scammer like this is a person who thinks they can't be scammed, so again, everyone please be careful.
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
(04-26-2024, 01:25 PM)Noire ♜ Wrote:
 Yeah we did some digging after the fact and found that no IP had accessed his Steam Account for at least a month which means that its more than likely that they grabbed a token from a website to get access to the account itself. Weird stuff though, because during the attack he reported that his computer started to run slow and you could visibly see his mouse start jittering which, to me, means that if they had access to his PC it had been for a while. The most sus shit he does is gamble on skinclub and similar sites.

The reason I bring it up on the thread though is because again, I have never seen an attack this intricate and I view myself as someone who could probably see a scam coming and avoid it from a mile away, but had this happened to me and not him the result would have been the exact same. The PSA is, at the end of the day the best target for a scammer like this is a person who thinks they can't be scammed, so again, everyone please be careful.

I totally get that! Thank you for the PSA and I hope your friend recovers from the loss :(. It really is true that anyone can be scammed. I would tell your friend to avoid those sites though as a lot of these gambling sites get hacked quite often.
Does your friend not have steam guard?. I find it hard to believe your friend had his IP spoofed and the scammer was able to login with his account bypassing MFA/2FA
(04-27-2024, 06:06 PM)⚡Nash Wrote: Does your friend not have steam guard?. I find it hard to believe your friend had his IP spoofed and the scammer was able to login with his account bypassing MFA/2FA
That's the thing he DOES have steam guard, like I said on the second post, the only possibility of access (outside of SIM swapping) would be to grab a token from a third-party website, one of those login using steam things. However, the only reason they were unable to instantly get all of his items once in his account was because Steam Guard's trade locks. His IP wasn't spoofed to my knowledge, just my profile when he tried to trade me.

that's the scary part
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator