Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling out Hackers
Yo I’m a hacker. I’m calling out myself outside of admin chat
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(08-23-2019, 02:26 PM)Andre Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 02:24 PM)Tedgp908 > Wrote: Would punishing people for reporting hackers discourage people from reporting anything?

I would like to not punish people for it but make it known to not do it and discourage it.

Making it an official and written rule in the MOTD would mean punishing people for breaking that rule just like we do with all the other rules in there.

There are other ways of making it known to not do it and discourage people from doing it rather than making it an official rule imo

I think making it an official "rule" would not be worth it and a waste of time trying to enforce it
(08-23-2019, 03:04 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 02:24 PM)Tedgp908 > Wrote: Would punishing people for reporting hackers discourage people from reporting anything?

I would like to not punish people for it but make it known to not do it and discourage it.

Making it an official and written rule in the MOTD would mean punishing people for breaking that rule just like we do with all the other rules in there.

There are other ways of making it known to not do it and discourage people from doing it rather than making it an official rule imo

I think making it an official "rule" would not be worth it and a waste of time trying to enforce it

True true but how would we properly enforce it becuase if we say don’t do it and they do it again then what would we do?
I may look calm but in my mind I just killed you three times

#SMOL SQUAD 2016-forever

Nicol Bolas
(08-23-2019, 03:27 PM)Andre Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 03:04 PM)Gabe Wrote:

True true but how would we properly enforce it becuase if we say don’t do it and they do it again then what would we do?

Say to them after the fact. “Please don’t call out a hacker in open chat, please use admin chat. Hackers typically tend to stop using their hacks when someone calls them out” vast majority of people are trying to help and won’t do it again.

If it was added to the MOTD, you would still get people calling out hackers because nobody reads the MOTD.
I wasn’t going to bother, but it seems people want this...
No. Do not have some rule preventing people from calling out hackers. That’s overzealous. Yes people won’t think and will call them out in chat but so long as a staff member is paying attention it’s easy to ask them to not. Usually I just say “hey, can you not make it obvious because we are trying to record them. If you can record then you should too.” That we even it gives them something to do that helps

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
What I do is I use my shadowplay and catch evidence. Then when I’ve got solid stuff, and they’re obviously done for then, I will SOMETIMES mock or expose them because I feel hackers deserve it. Though I do agree it’s annoying when they toggle or leave because someone called them out beforehand, I don’t know that it should be a rule not to. I could see it as a fair reason to gag/mute someone for a short time if they spout off though, but no real punishment should be attached since it’s not done with malicious intent.
[Image: Sy6406Z.png]
The same thing happens on prop hunt. We tell them to use admin chat with a bind explaining how to access admin chat and what it is used for. Many regulars either pm one of the staff or use admin chat.

Friendly reminders from staff members, take little effort to do for all players in the game to see and comprehend. Now, there is a difference between someone calling someone a hacker out of belief once and individuals who will not stop yelling about it and getting irritated while refusing to let the matter rest or give staff a chance to handle the situation. In most cases, people over reacting in such ways would fall under different rules like mic spam or maybe even disrespect/harassment depending on how relentless they are.

Making an official rule like that on TTT or PH would only punish people that are trying to point something out more than the overzealous players who just continually shout the statement even if it is untrue. Give a reminder, check out their concerns, and move on. Making a rule could be seen as micromanaging. I do not play TTT but I am guessing such rule could have the same negative affect like it would on PH.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army

I don't believe this was the intention of the original post. The question at hand is basically: "Should we punish people for calling out hackers OUTSIDE of adminchat?"

As for my view, I don't know if punishing people for it is the way to go. Maybe do something like what Nicol said and increase the rate of the "use adminchat" message if at all possible.
(08-23-2019, 04:51 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote:

I don't believe this was the intention of the original post. The question at hand is basically: "Should we punish people for calling out hackers OUTSIDE of adminchat?"

As for my view, I don't know if punishing people for it is the way to go. Maybe do something like what Nicol said and increase the rate of the "use adminchat" message if at all possible.

I understand that. But here’s what’s going to end up happening. We will have a new player who reports someone for hacking in voice chat. They then get punished, and they will see it as they are getting punished for reporting something. This will disincentive them from reporting.

I do however encourage staff to ask them to report it using admin chat in the future; I don’t think a punishment should be used if they don’t.
(08-23-2019, 05:35 PM)Tedgp908 > Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 04:51 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote:

I understand that. But here’s what’s going to end up happening. We will have a new player who reports someone for hacking in voice chat. They then get punished, and they will see it as they are getting punished for reporting something. This will disincentive them from reporting.

I do however encourage staff to ask them to report it using admin chat in the future; I don’t think a punishment should be used if they don’t.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just clarifying what the original post meant.