Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook
To address the discord concern and discord moderators we currently have, I've been trying to find a time to write actual guidelines to be followed when handling discord related issues since when the other two and I started out as discord mods we weren't really given anything in that sense. Life is hectic rn but I do have the next couple of days off (and actually just had this conversation with someone that was concerned about this same thing). This is something that I said I would take initiative on this and sorry it's taking a bit.

Edit: will comment on more things later just a lot to process atm
Noot Noot ~(^-^)~
https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/Thr...er-Conduct

https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/Thr...-your-help

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I thought my forum posts were long. This was an entire book. I agree with everything that you said, Gabe. But with most of the important posts, the people who need to see this won't. If any of the staff members (mostly Admins) see behavior that needs to be addressed, it needs to be brought up and nipped in the bud immediately, and more importantly, directly with the problem people. If the problems fester into something that should have been stopped days or months earlier, we're going to see yet another server implosion. We can't afford another implosion with the current average player count. During the winter and summer breaks, the server should be full pretty much all day and we all know it's not. Prop Hunt is full most of the day, and that game mode is garbage (pls no hate. only opinion).

Personal accountability, as much as we can expect in a GMod server, needs to be applied to everyone. And like Matt said, staff should be held to higher standards, that's why we have Trusted and TMod, to see if staff members can be trusted and to test their moderation. If Admins see or hear something, they need to investigate the complaint and take the necessary steps to rectify the problem.

I'm sure there's more stuff that I'm missing, but that is the biggest thing to work on, in my opinion. Hopefully we can bring the server back to its glory days. Long live Dink's and all that.
(01-02-2020, 12:39 AM)EpicGuy Wrote: https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/Thr...er-Conduct

https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/Thr...-your-help

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I thought my forum posts were long. This was an entire book. I agree with everything that you said, Gabe. But with most of the important posts, the people who need to see this won't. If any of the staff members (mostly Admins) see behavior that needs to be addressed, it needs to be brought up and nipped in the bud immediately, and more importantly, directly with the problem people. If the problems fester into something that should have been stopped days or months earlier, we're going to see yet another server implosion. We can't afford another implosion with the current average player count. During the winter and summer breaks, the server should be full pretty much all day and we all know it's not. Prop Hunt is full most of the day, and that game mode is garbage (pls no hate. only opinion).

Personal accountability, as much as we can expect in a GMod server, needs to be applied to everyone. And like Matt said, staff should be held to higher standards, that's why we have Trusted and TMod, to see if staff members can be trusted and to test their moderation. If Admins see or hear something, they need to investigate the complaint and take the necessary steps to rectify the problem.

I'm sure there's more stuff that I'm missing, but that is the biggest thing to work on, in my opinion. Hopefully we can bring the server back to its glory days. Long live Dink's and all that.

This. 

This would've prevented a lot in 2019. Especially what happened in August/September.

We NEED to see action taken when problems arise with people. You can't just sit and let it continue to happen. I still get a lot of shit for being toxic, but I can almost guarantee that had I been sat down and talked with a few months ago, things would be a lot different right now.

A message to all: Do better. No matter who you are, or what your place is in this community, let your goal this year be to improve yourself and become a better person. 

Like it was said in the OP, though, the past is the past. Let us look toward the future.
bro server just sucks play on a new one smh my head
merry christmas xbox
oh man how 2019 was a rollercoaster for me in this server. i had finally made it to TestMod and eventually resigned. the reasons i resigned were the constant being shit on not only by players, but by staff, the lack of appreciation, and all of that toppled with my irl problems ultimately made me resign. i worked my ass off to make sure TTT was going to do well, that the players felt like it was a good environment, basically allfor nothing. the community player base as a whole loved me, but the staff i felt did not. after i resigned memes of me came out where i resigned 11 times or some shit, but i didn’t. i resigned once. i left the community until april and still had my rank in game and tried to staff even though i was no longer staff as of two months prior. i then quit again and came back in july. that’s when i had my in game rank removed and i tried to go for staff again. i tried very hard. i was active for a month that was needed, and overall grinded my ass off. all for nothing. i got denied because my allegiance to the server was questioned and you all thought i would just leave again. i was staff for almost a year before i had resigned, and i absolutely hate to toot my own horn. but i was one of the best staff TTT had in the last two years. i mentored many of your current staff, many of your past staff, and many people who are still considering applying after all this time. nonetheless i still love this server and eventually hope to make a come back, but my main thing is that in 2020 i hope that the staff team as a whole can appreciate one another, make them feel welcomed and liked and appreciated. because that was never there for me, but here’s to a new year and a new decade. i hope it all gets better
I think people just want my transparency between all aspects of what's occurring, and especially from Dink himself. Anytime his name pops up, it's to bash the fact he isn't the one to say things like this himself, and the co-owner, too. In my opinion, Gabe, this IS NOT your task to thoroughly complete, but with the amount of effort you put towards issues like this, if you wish it to, it should be. Your attempts to actively put in motion what I'd say is the idea of what Dink wants into TTT is the reason you'd be much more deserving of a position to actually enforce what you're projecting. We all understand that there are bigger priorities than running a Garry's Mod server, and no person can be faulted for that; however, it is a lesser priority that lies within a totem pole, and I would encourage attempts to spare time as much as possible. People have become upset with the delay of issues being addressed, and I don't blame them. Before bashing the server, people don't realize the difficulty in building a somewhat popular server from the ground up while also catering to a community split between two servers. 

Ultimately, I, and nobody else, have to agree with all of your ideas to see you're more than capable and willing to put in the effort to make the server better.

Also, I know this isn't a suggestion thread, but to allow admins to promote the parameters have to be set. I'm not sure how the server inheritance is done, but if admins wanted to promote to- lets say trusted for the general idea- the command would possibly look something like: 

ulx groupallow admin ulx adduser *with a parameter of* !%t-mod

This should mean that admins can target every user below themselves except t-mod. I haven't tried the parameters to this specific command, so don't quote me.
Jokes on you, I've been at uni and work so I missed the whole drama and only caught a glimpse of it! In all seriousness though, I really appreciate that this is finally being addressed and with enough team effort, we can all make the Dinks server a place where a welcoming community can all have fun.
Tea and crumpets will always blow my trumpets!

[Image: 28880325-english-crumpets-with-butter-on...jack-m.jpg]

Oddbodd the musical man,
He is musical whenever he can.
With all of these rhymes
that he makes all the time,
Oddbodd the musical man.

(01-02-2020, 03:01 PM)Demi Lovato\s Heroin Spoon Wrote: ulx groupallow admin ulx adduser *with a parameter of* !%t-mod

This unfortunately only stops admins from TARGETING people above trusted with this command. The command would still be able to promote people up to superadmin, just not on themselves or anyone else above trusted.

EDIT: The actual command would be:
Code:
ulx groupallow adm "ulx adduser" "* !%dtmod"
or simply using the ULX menu: https://prnt.sc/qinq58
EDIT 2: I'm terrible at reading words, you might have said this already
Having the advantage of hindsight back to a much, MUCH earlier time, a lot of the interpersonal problems have been a thing for a very long time. Progress has indeed been made, but I think there's still a long way to go. While not wanting to bash Dink (much), communication has never been his strong suit. I'm not going to pretend to have a solution for that. Best I could say is going back to the old co owner idea. Maybe have 2. Give them most of the same capabilities Dink has, but not all.

I think that the problem I have, and why I've been keeping my distance a bit more again, is things are just taken too seriously sometimes. So what Evee and I like kicking each other? If she asked me to stop, I would and I fully expect she'd do the same. People don't donate to be griped at by staff. I donated because I missed some of the commands I once had and the thought of going for staff again makes me shudder and go back to playing Doom.

Gmod is a stupid game at its core. It's fun because it's dumb. The goal of the server should be fun. There are some staff, from trusted all the way up to admin, who I simply won't play with anymore. It just isn't fun around some of them for different reasons. Some really need better training over the rules. Some simply treat everything like a court martial offense. Some remind me of a couple of old mods that are no longer around.

So, I'm not here to discount the progress made, things are definitely better than last time I was around. Some of the issues that the community faces are very similar to some very old issues. Communication and the tone of things on the server have always been problematic. A divide between staff and non-staff has always been around in some way. These are things that, in my opinion, we should look outward for solutions, see how others have solved it, or come close, and figure out our way.
TAFKAAB
Good read. Clears up some of the questions I had about how things are actually run. Alot of communitys fall apart after big drama, I've seen it a few too many times. Nice to see some genuine thread once in awhile. +1 to admins demoting/promoting. It's honestly hilarious people can go inactive for years and come back and still have a staff rank.

Good post gabe, I know we don't see eye to eye but I'm glad someone actually cares about the future of something there apart of.
[Image: 76561197993157530.png]