Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook
(01-02-2020, 11:01 PM)Mother Nuru. Wrote: My biggest issue with this is it starts off like its an address to the ENTIRE community, and then turns into a TTT post.
Neither fish nor myself were contacted regarding this post tbh. This adds to the admin-admin communication that we need.
Yes I dont physically get on server but I am on discord quite often now, daily honestly. I am able to respond to messages. You cannot preach it if you're not going to take the first steps yourselves. If we have something that happens on ph that is crossing into discord or an issue, I am sure to share with you guys, and the discord committee, today being an example, those of you in the committee/admins will know.

You're right. I didn't really contact anyone about this, even TTT Admins. I might’ve talked more broadly to some of them. That is because it was intended to be my own thoughs in 2019 and what I think should happen in 2020. I didn't want to drag anyone else into that. This is also why I posted it under "Community Discussion" and not "News and Announcements." I didn't want it to be an "official" thing but more of my own personal thing with the hope that others would come forwards and be honest here with their own thoughts, like I was.  In terms of the who the audience was, it was originally supposed to be TTT but I guess I added some entire community aspects in the beginning to review as a whole since they were worth noting. I didn't want to bring PH in because I simply don't play and don't know what happens. It wouldn't of been fair to tie them into this and I'm not going to pretend to be a PH expert. But again, I'm not the greatest at wording things and they often come off the wrong way. 

Now to pitch in from PH side, during my time here things I've noticed that help. If you teach the staff properly, they teach the community properly, and there fore the community teaches the newcomers. When I >was< extremely active, I made sure to teach people how to talk to others, how not to, etc. (I'm no longer a good role model for this, keep that in mind, I admit now I am a shit role model.) I did this heavily onto my mod team, and they in turn taught tmod, and so on and so forth. It was to the point that we had donors that helped us constantly, and it RARELY felt like donors were overstepping etc. We had newcomers that were able to grasp onto things easily in game due to this and help other newcomers.

This is a huge issue on TTT. We do have a training committee consisted of those that seem to be the most experienced and would be able to share their knowledge with others in how they are supposed to act and handle things. Perhaps we've been too lenient with them and not really paying attention to what they actually train them on. Maybe we can develop something to help that. Like Laced said, there is a fine line between having fun while still doing your staff as staff and a point where it just has to stop. Commands given are meant to be used to moderate, not be used as toys. Once in a while is ok, but the way they were used sometimes at an excessive pace was just ridiculous. The false bans is something that has to stop in 2020. We do have a slight issue with donors overstepping but they seem to be resolved afterwards... or that is the hope. Donors on TTT I feel are less inclined or motivated to help sometimes, but that could just be me. Donors on PH seem to be less abusive with commands. 

As for the drama/discord issues/etc, we have to put a cap on that, and fast. We have become far to lenient and been giving 4-5 warnings to one person, when for example, they've been here for years or months. Long enough to learn the rules, but instead of dishing actual punishments, we do more warnings. Therefore they think they can get by with more than someone should, and push limits, and people.

Discord moderation and punishments is something we should work on and keep it consistent. 

As for the issues between community/staff. Matt is correct. Staff no longer is held to the high standards that they used to be, which is something ive been trying to break the ph staff back into. They're not fans of it but it has to be done. When you have a group of people that are allowed to do things however they want, because there is no "admin" or head in charge, etc, for so long, and you bring in rules and restrictions, people do tend to go haywire and sideways. It's not as bad as it used to be and for the >most< part I'd like to say it's better than it was. I know some of my staff will disagree here and that's fine.

You both are right. There isn't really a "high" standard anymore when there should always be a high standard. We are taking small steps to get to that standard again. Sometimes you truly don't know how someone is until they actually start staffing. We've introduced those scenario questions as well to somewhat help with keeping a standard. I have tried to keep a high standard in terms of applications when I do my votes and some I have been on the minority end of some votes. I have voted against some of the current Mods when they originally applied, sorry. Obviously not going to say who. Man am I coming off as toxic again? That is also something I need to work on.. Training committee probably needs to be revamped and teach how to act as well. 

For me personally, my communication issues with Dink are none. Fish has some here and there with responses, but it's not as bad as with TTT I assume. So I want you guys to look and see if maybe it's in the way you guys are contacting him, or something on his end, and discuss between you guys, as a group, how to improve that. Otherwise it'll stay stagnant. Talking with dink about lack of communication usually helps me. I'm not saying it will fix it for you, but it doesn't hurt to try. And as a group. But don't do it in a way where you gang up either. Nobody likes being intimitated. :d

I respect Dink. We all should. We don't have to like him but he's human and we as well. People forget that sometimes and maybe even don’t talk to him as a person rather than a mere server owner. It isn't fair to solely blame him for everything, even this. But does he play a part? Yes. Everyone plays a part. There are probably more communication issues on TTT than one might think in terms of this. I think TTT has more than PH. But I could be wrong. Nonetheless, it definetly needs to improve. Talking to him about it seems to be the most optimal option. I summed it up in my thread I think but probably with poor wording and taking the wrong way. I might reword it a bit.. but it may be too late for that. I start rambling once I get going sometimes it seems.. But yes, it is a group issue. I certainly wasn't trying to gang up on anyone here. I actually might DM you more about this part specifically instead of posting something really long here.

Also I will say Gabe, while I overall agree with the point you're making, the way you have said it here is very much how modern Nuru talks, and it's wrong. The way you address people here is kind of toxic. The one thing we're trying not to be. (I'm guilty, I don't get a lot of room here to preach) If you want people to have better communication between staff/players (admins being included in staff) we have to start by not talking to them as such. Yes I know how frustrating this job is, and sometimes we let ourselves go. But we have to work harder than the rest in keeping it under control.
I mean this with the best intent and I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

It might've sounded a bit toxic yes, but it wasn't meant to. I was going for a more blunt approach to get the message across but seems it could've been taken the wrong way. I also think sometimes we have to be a bit more forceful with how we get our message across so it's taken seriously, but maybe that was a bit of a stretch. Obviously, no one was singled out in this thread. It would be unfair to single out anyone. Not one person or thing is the problem. We're all human and no one is above anyone. We do have to respect each other. I meant everything I said to either be constructive criticism or just an observation. I might go back and reword it if I have the time (not that it took me a few days to write this whole thing ahaha). 

Also I'm against admins getting promotional power. I will never be for this. Leave that for co owners/dink. Yes I know this is problematic, but i see it being FAR more problematic in the hands of admins, specially people who are first timers like myself.
We break shit :))))))) LMAO

I'm just going to repeat myself responding to this so I won't. Basically what I said in my thread I still mean but again that probably could've come off the wrong way too... but maybe we've just had a few more issue on TTT in that regard than PH does. But I do understand the first timer thing. The way Dink would have it set up would mostly be break proof I think.

One last thing to the story I swear.
"Admins:

Let's start with one question, what are we? What are we supposed to be? Oh wait, that was two questions, my bad. The answer to the first one is that we are the community leaders along with Dink. We act on Dink's behalf and overseen directly by him while we oversee Trusted-Mod. For the second one, we are supposed to be part of the central authority of the server. We are supposed to make the minor executive decisions within our power in Dink's absence. "

What are we? We are the community leaders UNDER Dink, PICKED by the community, and Dink. Keep this in mind. We don't act on his behalf. We act on the guidelines he gives us, and it's free reign from there. You know as well as I do, and any other current or past admins. Admins here have pretty much free reign to change rules/etc, they just have to be ran by him first.

That actually sounds a lot more accurate, thank you.. I might just change it to that. I think the point that I was making in this thread is that sometimes simply that guidance just isn't there, which ties into the communication thing.

What are we supposed to be? We are supposed to be the group of people that players and staff can go to when there are issues, when something is broken and in our power to fix (We're ignoring that many don't know what we do and don't have access to), and we are the faces of dinklebergs to put it plainly. How we carry ourselves as admins, is how everyone out there, sees dinklebergs.
Now stop and think, how does dinklebergs look to an outsider?
Thats something we need to work on, myself included.

//edit The way you have worded it here Gabe, very much comes off power hungry. I know it's not your intent, but choice of words is important. Yes we make the final decisions, but that isn't all we are here for. We are here to help. Not to be the power.

Yes I can see it does... but it obviously meant to not be. We aren't here for the power, we're here to help and make the server the best we can as well as leading this community. Lead by example. It was more of what I thought made sense in a realistic setting. Again, I might reword that. I'm assuming some of my responses here either don't cover everything or also come off the wrong way.

Messages In This Thread
Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook - by Gabe - 01-01-2020, 10:50 PM
RE: Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook - by Avi - 01-02-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Dink's Rewind 2019 & my 2020 outlook - by Gabe - 01-03-2020, 01:39 AM