Poll: Was this tutorial useful for you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, you're basically Mr. Rogers now
0%
0 0%
Yes
0%
0 0%
Meh
50.00%
1 50.00%
No
50.00%
1 50.00%
No, ur mom have big gay
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA: Keybinding Recording Demos
For those who don't regularly record their gameplay, demos are a nice way of instantly recording when something sketchy is happening, or you just feel like recording, as they can be keybound using your .cfg files to easily and quickly provide quality recording/play-by-play for whatever use you need.
*Note that you can always just use the console to record demos, just type "record {DEMONAME}" to record, and "stop" to stop recording*

Tutorial- Let me know if there is any crucial info i'm missing
  1. Navigate to your GMOD autoexec.cfg file on your HDD or SSD
    EX: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg

2. Open said file, scroll to the bottom. Pick a key you want to bind to record and stop (it's usually better to have separate keys for this)
    Script names for all the keys

3. type (no brackets)
    Code:
    unbind {KEYNAME_1}"
    bind "{KEYNAME_1}" "record {DEMONAME}"
    unbind "{KEYNAME_2}"
    bind "{KEYNAME_2}" "stop"

4. KEYNAME_1 is the recording key, KEYNAME_2 is to stop recording

5. Run the game, now your keybinds are bound to record whenever you want! The demo is saved by the DEMONAME you chose, in a special folder in the GMOD files on your computer
    EX: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg

6. If I recall correctly, recording another demo after the first one (with the same name) just appends a number onto the chosen name, not overwriting it. Don't quote me on that though, it's always a good idea to rename demos afterwards so you don't forget them.

7. That's it! Have fun recording!
Source Engine Pages on Demos:

Keep in mind that demos allow you to observe everything that is going on during the period of recording, not just from your perspective. This is useful to observe player behavior over long periods, check the order of events, etc. The playback tools also allow for slow motion replays, so that's nice as well for hectic/confusing events.
You can get fancy with it to set different recording names using aliases, but that's more advanced and isn't needed for basic recording.
Aliases let me have so many trash binds to just a few keys to maximize the meme potential

Let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT:
-Added example location for default demo locations
-Added example location for default cfg locations
Steam Workshop Items:
(Click name to visit on steam)
-ttt_spacepost | -ttt_limbo

Useful Information:
(Click name to view)
 [Recording Demos] - [TTT Rules] - [Idiot Test]

https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/Thr...t-Evidence
former admin2
(04-27-2018, 01:40 PM)Deadpool Wrote: https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/Thr...t-Evidence

This tutorial is about binding demo recording to keys for quick access , not explaining how demos work. I literally mention in the first paragraph that you could just use console, but I was explaining how to bind recording to a key. I included basic info about demos with links for anyone who didn't know what I was talking about.

EDIT: Changed title so people who don't read the post don't get confused and post links to things that sound similar
EDIT 2:
My tutorial also includes links to the pages that go in-depth on how demos function, keybinding masterlist, and include filepath for people who haven't done it before, which the other one does not provide. Please take the time to actually read everything before you shitpost @Deadpool
Steam Workshop Items:
(Click name to visit on steam)
-ttt_spacepost | -ttt_limbo

Useful Information:
(Click name to view)
 [Recording Demos] - [TTT Rules] - [Idiot Test]

Damn, so hostile. Sorry, but I couldn't be fucked to read.
former admin2
does anyone know for sure if you don't change the recording name it won't over wright the recording