Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Shut Up" Rule
Okay, so I have a LOTTTT to work with in terms of responses, so let me get started MY RESPONSES WILL BE IN RED.

"You really went out of your way to move this out of shitposting?" ~Fish

Yes, I did. The reason why is because it was initially a joke to just troll PH staff, but then I realized I actually believe it's a rule that I disagree with; despite that, I still see the logic behind why it exists. Could I have reworded it to make it less of a shitpost? Yes, but I was lazy and didn't want to.  My apologies.

Warnings are always given out by staff. It's the in regs. Round gags are a minimum. Spamming shut up or telling literally everyone to shut up when they kill you or troll you in return is a good way to get gagged. And I just want to say if we take so much "fun" out of the game....why is Dinks ph one of the most popular and full servers? ~Possum

For starters, I never once said anything about warns never being given out, that's you implying and creating something that isn't there. Secondly, as I stated before, I believe that the minimum of a round is over the top and extreme. Finally, when I say that "fun" is taken out, I am referring to the kind of online culture that I was brought up on. When I am dealing with a more "sensitive" (for a lack of a better term) environment, I feel as if I cannot be myself when I play a game; consequently, it takes the fun out for me. I hope that makes sense; don't get me wrong, I completely understand and respect where you're coming from, but I am stating why I disagree with what you are saying.

So imagine you’ve just joined into the server for the first time and are learning how the game works and what you should be doing. You’re also excited to be able to talk to people and ask questions. 
Someone then decides that they don’t want to listen to you and tells you to shut up. 
[b]You’re right that is definitely fun for them....... [Image: dodgy.png] ~Pixie[/b]

Of course that isn't fun; however, let me iterate another scenario to you. Imagine you get some toxic guy on, and no staff are there. Somebody starts roasting the toxic guy, and then bunch of people join in; the toxic guy leaves because he gets bombarded for being a shithead. Now THAT's fun because you're having fun at someone's expense who is trying to be a prick. Of course, that isn't PH culture at all, but I'm stating this because there are always different ways to approach the same issue. Street Justice is one way, calling staff on is another. Again, all I was trying to do is suggest that gagging someone for an entire round over telling someone to shut up is over the top.

It's established by both sides that PH is very different than TTT, just cause TTT has this way of functioning doesn't mean everything that makes TTT fun will work on the other servers because it's not the same thing. Salty you come from TTT so the way you have fun there will be different on PH. Thinking that your way of fun is being hindered by this simple rule of just being respectful to players is very closed minded. My simple advice is suck it up buttercup because that's how things are and it works. ~Abdel

Out of everything that has been stated so far, this one is by far the least professional and most emotionally fueled. I'd expect better from someone who is a Moderator. Where did I ever say that PH should operate like TTT? That's a lot to dig from me simply giving a suggestion on how to do gags, as I never once stated TTT in that comment. I simply said how I DO GAGS, and why I believe round gags are excessive. Second, it's quite hypocritical for you to tell me to suck it up and say I am closed-minded, because you are not only disrespecting my opinion, but also being disrespectful to me as a person. I don't like double standards and that's what you're showing me right now. For the most part (minus shitposting) it seems that most people here have come to a conclusion as to why they think the way they do. I've been extremely respectful of the people who have criticized my opinions, and it's disappointing to see you type up such an emotionally fueled tirade telling me to "suck it up," when I am merely giving a suggestion/input on a rule that you all have set up. That's being closed minded, what I have done is not nearly as an egregious offense. I am simply stated that I don't agree with the rule, but I respect that there's logic behind it. If you cannot be professional with input like you do on your staff/unban apps, I don't need nor want to hear what you have to say because I will not take it seriously. 

There's no reason why Happy can't make the point that you shouldn't be trying to make the server child friendly while having not-so-child friendly models. I'm sure you didn't mean for it to come off this way, but it just seems like you're trying to shut down his opinion because you disagree with it. If anybody else said something like this they'd be ripped apart by the entire staff team for being toxic. ~Laced
AND

Essentially, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to say you're a PG server, be PG in all regards. If you want to get rid of that idea, don't pretend you are and let people defend themselves when necessary. ~Rand

You and Laced nailed it on the coffin, Rand. These were things that I wanted to say while I was at work, but you two beat me to it. You cannot simply make a case stating that you are PG, yet have suggestive anime models and expect me to take your argument seriously. Either keep it all PG, or get rid of the so called "PG" effect you have going on with voice chat rules. 

So Salty do you want to suggest a change to the mic/ chat spamming rule or do you want to make a shut up rule? ~Ryuji

This is an excellent question, and here's I have 2 answers: 
1. I want a change to the mic spam rule; chat spam can stay the same for all I care, but here's my input on the micspam rule. Round gag after one warning is over the top, and should only happen if they immediately start micspamming after being gagged briefly and ungagged. Sure, you can argue the round gag works, but it has its fair share of problems, too. If somebody is round gagged when they're not intentionally trying to micspam or troll, it might influence them to troll to "piss off the staff." That's why I believe  a Temp gag after a warn (30-90 seconds tops)  can solve micspam issues more efficiently than just immediately jumping to a round gag after a warning. Of course, I mean if something works, why change it; however, what you might find out is that the change might bring more good than harm. 

2. Tying in "Shut Up" with disrespect is ridiculous at its worst, sensitive at its best. I understand that the PH culture is significantly different from the rest of the servers, but making PH an "online safe space" is a really good way to just attract more trolls. 

The good ol' shut up rule on PH. Yes, its kind of a dumb rule considering we try to keep the server PG as best as possible and allow other things to slide. That being said, the shut up rule is literally basic ass respect. If you cannot physically/mentally understand that, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. ~Pauling

My issue is not understanding that saying "shut up" is disrespectful; the problem is I believe it is too sensitive. I'm going to quote someone who was talking to me about this in DM's real quick: "You can't make an online place a safe space or people go there to actively look to cause trouble." In other words, making PH a safe place where it's not acceptable to say things like "shut up" garners a much higher rate of trolls, and here's why. Trolls look for reactions (duh) and what better place to go to than a place where it literally isn't allowed to tell someone to "shut up?" If I were an outsider who never played on a dinkleberg server, I would say "that's the one to troll. Everyone on there is going to be a sensitive bitch and it'll be so easy to warrant reactions." Trolls will go anywhere obviously, but they will always go for the easiest targets. Someone who's done it for a while will know who they can and cannot mess with easily and it really doesn't take much effort to troll. This is coming from someone who grew up trolling all the time back in the days of Call of Duty, so I do know what I'm talking about. The more sensitive a group is, the better for a troll and worse for the group. I hope you understand my logic behind this, and I respect that you can see both sides with an open mind.

I've never known a situation in life where telling someone to shut up wasn't ever rude or disrespectful unless it's done playfully, of which we don't punish for. ~Travis

I can give you one: B0t had joined the server, and I was jokingly telling him to shut up; I was warned, said that I was joking with him AND he himself was cool with it, and then I did it again later and was gagged, and most likely put on the watchlist for it. 

Messages In This Thread
The "Shut Up" Rule - by Salty - 10-24-2020, 07:14 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by JesseTheUndeadCowboy - 10-24-2020, 07:19 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by §bKiwi The Fruit - 10-24-2020, 07:20 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by TheUltraFish - 10-24-2020, 07:25 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by Spiderling - 10-24-2020, 07:25 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by August - 10-24-2020, 07:29 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by TheUltraFish - 10-24-2020, 07:47 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by [Yellow] Travis1421 - 10-24-2020, 08:29 PM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by The Triangle - 10-25-2020, 01:10 AM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by Aki (♥ω♥) - 10-25-2020, 03:11 AM
RE: The "Shut Up" Rule - by UnfortunatePossum - 10-25-2020, 10:33 AM