Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Shut Up" Rule
The Shut Up rule needs to abolished.

With all due respect, it is the most idiotic rule I've ever seen.

You should not gag someone an entire round over saying "shut up." 

Prop Hunt somehow turns Garry's Mod into a literal online day care for kids. 

thanks, that is all.
To be fair I think more kids play prop hunt anyway. I could probably take a few guesses as to why it’s a rule. Probably would have something to do with kids arguing or something along those lines. Then again I could be wrong but I’m just guessing.
it's not an individual rule. it has to go into the "respect other players" rule and saying shut up is disrespectful in a non-joking manner to some.

I did think this was gonna be about the spectator rule though....
[Image: image0_2.jpg]
You really went out of your way to move this out of shitposting?
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
It all depends on the context of the situation. If its in a joking manner from a friend towards friend, it can usually slide since its harmless. But if it is just an individual being toxic, they get warned and then gagged if they continue.
I agree with Kiwi. It's not an actual rule but it definitely falls under disrespect. You can chose to mute someone if they are annoying or bothering you, however if you yell at someone to shut up instead of muting them, then you're essentially choosing to get needlessly aggressive and cause a scene. If the person is mic spamming or breaking any other rules then staff can handle them, otherwise just mute them and be done with it.

*edit* it's not a rule in murder at least.
Most of the time, this happens when players tell someone to stfu because they are using the mic. The cases that make this it's own "rule" is that it is generally directed at females (yes I've heard they exist) and younger players who tend to have a higher voice. The other, as said, is people being to lazy to mute players or mess with their settings so they decide to be assholes to everyone else.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
Disrespect is disrespect. If someone wants to tell someone to "shut up", they can mute someone themselves. Just because you don't wanna listen to them doesn't mean others do. That's just rude overall.
[Image: b_560x95.png][Image: clapclub.jpg?width=1202&height=519]
I love that this topic cycles around about every 9 months. 

Easy solution: Don't be rude, won't get gagged/muted. 

It's like being a decent person in society got lost at some point.
Mainly I'd say it's a rule because people like to use it for disrespect. If this wasn't a rule then the vc would be constantly filled with people yelling at each other to shut up, this and that, etc.
As Fish has said it's also mainly towards females and or people with high pitched voices (such as children who will constantly chatter because their kids). As someone falling into the category of female, I've been told to shut up numerous amounts of times. It's just not okay.
However, if it's, as Star said, used in a more playful manner with friends just poking fun then, yes, that's okay in my book. I'll be lenient as long as they don't start up with constantly saying it to each other (which would then make it mic spam) or starting to sound disrespectful.
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611aefbf09e110e07fa9d...y.gif&ct=g]