Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plan E: Blue Shift
(01-11-2021, 02:01 PM)Evan Wrote: I am confident that I could handle a full or semi-full server with the only exception being if I had to deal with a large (4+) group of trolling friends particularly set on causing problems.  Individual troublemakers aren't nearly the same concern for me anymore, if they want to cause issues I can just record/screenshot whatever is happening alongside enforcing the rules.

The main T-mod powers I see as helping me staff more effectively are bring, C-say, karma banning, and stop sound.  Bring, self explanatory, helps me move stuck players out of stuck-city.  C-say not only is distinctly and clearly a staff message, but due to how its displayed is pretty hard to miss, making it a pretty useful public address system.  Lot easier for someone to miss you in text or voice chat telling them to stop something than the floating white text in the center of the screen.  Karma banning is basically Kick+, a solid tool to keep someone off the server until a moderator can ban them for real.  Stopsound is a bit less generally applicable, but being able to stop a queue that's extremely loud or otherwise an issue is a helpful tool to have.

My final vote for this application is a +0. 

Some good responses here Evan; however, I just still think that you should have more ban requests up before I could +1 you.  For all we know, you could just be all fluff and not do anything that you've stated on this thread. 

Also, where the fuck was that competence when you were staff @Mana you bitch (jk I love you)
(01-11-2021, 05:57 PM)David Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 02:01 PM)Evan Wrote: I am confident that I could handle a full or semi-full server with the only exception being if I had to deal with a large (4+) group of trolling friends particularly set on causing problems.  Individual troublemakers aren't nearly the same concern for me anymore, if they want to cause issues I can just record/screenshot whatever is happening alongside enforcing the rules.

The main T-mod powers I see as helping me staff more effectively are bring, C-say, karma banning, and stop sound.  Bring, self explanatory, helps me move stuck players out of stuck-city.  C-say not only is distinctly and clearly a staff message, but due to how its displayed is pretty hard to miss, making it a pretty useful public address system.  Lot easier for someone to miss you in text or voice chat telling them to stop something than the floating white text in the center of the screen.  Karma banning is basically Kick+, a solid tool to keep someone off the server until a moderator can ban them for real.  Stopsound is a bit less generally applicable, but being able to stop a queue that's extremely loud or otherwise an issue is a helpful tool to have.

My final vote for this application is a +0. 

Some good responses here Evan; however, I just still think that you should have more ban requests up before I could +1 you.  For all we know, you could just be all fluff and not do anything that you've stated on this thread. 

Also, where the fuck was that competence when you were staff @Mana you bitch (jk I love you)
but do ban request matter? if he can keep the server from falling into the abyss i feel like thats good enough. like being on call, being there, not just making a ban request to a group of trolls and most of the time he askes for help so they would make the ban request more likely than evan would.
(01-11-2021, 06:00 PM)Milly~Dilly` Wrote: but do ban request matter? if he can keep the server from falling into the abyss i feel like thats good enough. like being on call, being there, not just making a ban request to a group of trolls and most of the time he askes for help so they would make the ban request more likely than evan would.

Showing that you are able to collect evidence and do it consistently is important; I understand where you're coming from Milly, but I disagree with your argument that "keeping the server from falling into the abyss is enough." 

Perhaps I might be too harsh on Evan with my criticisms, but these are things to look out for regardless of what rank he is as staff. These are things that present problems; to quote Foxka/Paimon:  "Staff is not a hierarchy, they are all equal." *

*-10-13-2020, 08:28 AM, Let's Talk: Dealing with Conflict Professionally  Thread: here

So if you use this logic here, it's fair for me to treat his application just as harshly as I'd treat a moderator application. 

Of course, the actual logic is that they're not equal, as other individuals on this thread have made that abundantly clear with making statements like "It's just Test Mod" "Test mod is a BUFFER STATE" 

So you can make plenty of counterarguments against the logic of "Staff is not a hierarchy, they are all equal." However, that was the logic I went with on this application. 

TL/DR: I'm treating Evan's promotion as a case of "all staff are equal in the community" rather than "whether or not the rank he's going for is a Buffer State."
(01-11-2021, 06:00 PM)Milly~Dilly` Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 05:57 PM)David Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 02:01 PM)Evan Wrote: -snip-
-snip-
but do ban request matter? if he can keep the server from falling into the abyss i feel like thats good enough. like being on call, being there, not just making a ban request to a group of trolls and most of the time he askes for help so they would make the ban request more likely than evan would.
The importance of ban requests revolves around evidence. If a moderator isn't on, a ban request is made to gather relevant evidence. As a test mod you have to be able to prove you can properly ban folks who need to be banned, and not ban where bans are not warranted. Because, once you are a mod, any bans you make are on you to defend.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
I'm not going to put a vote here, rather, just a few comments. 

I've noticed that sometimes you've been reluctant to enforce certain rules which would help to maintain some semblance of order on the server.
---A couple of weeks ago, there was a certain individual known for yelling in his mic. Said individual was doing just that. You stated in staff chat that you were hesitant to gag. This was a clear instance of micspam/earrape and incredibly annoying. Should have been a no-brainer gag and warn. I essentially had to push you to do that, which I thought was kind of ridiculous.
---This afternoon (~3 PM), I came on for around 15 minutes but couldn't last any longer than that because of rampant micspam and borderline harassment ongoing against a child player. There was regularly 5-6 mics going at once and the kid player was talking about inappropriate subjects for his age and being goaded/harassed by other players. And the certain individual known for yelling in his mic was once again doing just that. No warns added to anyone and I only saw a single gag administered during my time online (to a player who wasn't even that bad). The place was truly a madhouse and there was another staff member on at the time too. 

I have a few positive comments too
---You have over a thousand of hours experience playing TTT, which means you should be able to quickly recognize certain situations and administer the proper response. Of course, as David said, this does raise the expectations on you as well.
---In the staff chat, you generally "get it" with problem players that are brought up and know that what they are doing is wrong and need to be punished. But again, that response can't just be pushed down the line - you need to be willing to do it yourself and take the flack that you might be incurred in response from the playerbase.
(01-11-2021, 09:53 PM)Prince Nicky de Navidad Wrote: ---This afternoon (~3 PM), I came on for around 15 minutes but couldn't last any longer than that because of rampant micspam and borderline harassment ongoing against a child player. There was regularly 5-6 mics going at once and the kid player was talking about inappropriate subjects for his age and being goaded/harassed by other players. And the certain individual known for yelling in his mic was once again doing just that. No warns added to anyone and I only saw a single gag administered during my time online (to a player who wasn't even that bad). The place was truly a madhouse and there was another staff member on at the time too. 
Just going to say I was here for this and I can indeed confirm it was bad today. There was a kid who being harassed by players after saying stuff and not much seemed to be done, it just continued for a while. I mean no disrepect to any of the other staff members like Evan or anyone else who was on at the time but not much seemed to be done really aside from that one gag I noticed too.
(01-11-2021, 09:53 PM)Prince Nicky de Navidad Wrote: I'm not going to put a vote here, rather, just a few comments. 

I've noticed that sometimes you've been reluctant to enforce certain rules which would help to maintain some semblance of order on the server.
---A couple of weeks ago, there was a certain individual known for yelling in his mic. Said individual was doing just that. You stated in staff chat that you were hesitant to gag. This was a clear instance of micspam/earrape and incredibly annoying. Should have been a no-brainer gag and warn. I essentially had to push you to do that, which I thought was kind of ridiculous.
---This afternoon (~3 PM), I came on for around 15 minutes but couldn't last any longer than that because of rampant micspam and borderline harassment ongoing against a child player. There was regularly 5-6 mics going at once and the kid player was talking about inappropriate subjects for his age and being goaded/harassed by other players. And the certain individual known for yelling in his mic was once again doing just that. No warns added to anyone and I only saw a single gag administered during my time online (to a player who wasn't even that bad). The place was truly a madhouse and there was another staff member on at the time too. 

To me, this is concrete evidence that what you're saying on here isn't matching up with your actions on the actual server, confirming my fears. I just hope that you intend to implement this confidence onto the server in the future instead of only speaking of how you're going to do it; if so, you'd be a great Test Mod without a doubt.
>preach about staff needing better communication
>get upset when staff communicate that they need help

Pick one.

Easy +1, everyone complaining about staff pings have zero valuable input and should be ignored because their opinion is worthless.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
(01-11-2021, 10:53 PM)Paimon Wrote: >preach about staff needing better communication
>get upset when staff communicate that they need help

Pick one.

Easy +1, everyone complaining about staff pings have zero valuable input and should be ignored because their opinion is worthless.

What determines whether an opinion is valuable or worthless; who said you determine this? That's a rather close minded argument to make, wouldn't you say?  

There's a reason why these threads are publicly made and not just done in the staff discord privately; as long as an opinion isn't someone just shitposting, ANY viewpoint, EVEN and ESPECIALLY if you don't agree with it should be considered as valuable. Mindsets like this are why the casual players refrain from using the forums; this promotes an idea of only promoting one mindset on the community and to dismiss any sort of legitimate criticism. In this case, it's being dismissed as "complaining about staff pings," which is nothing less than toxic. If you want a community to improve, you have to look at things from all angles, not just what you yourself think is right.

The main complaint is Evan not showing he is capable of carrying his own weight; one of the things provided to prove that is the staff pings that he did over the course of his staffing career. The other is his lack of ban requests; of the two, the latter is more egregious than the first. Nicky also presented a strong case of him not enforcing rules when he should have been, which is alarming.

EDIT: You all minus -1ing this and my other concerns just proves my point of "it's an opinion I don't agree with, let's -1 it to try and tell someone they cannot criticize someone that we like." Literal hivemind mentality. (Some of you are doing it for the meme because I said I wanted to get to 0 rep, so you're not who I'm referring to with this.)
(01-11-2021, 09:53 PM)Prince Nicky de Navidad Wrote: I'm not going to put a vote here, rather, just a few comments. 

I have a few positive comments too
---You have over a thousand of hours experience playing TTT, which means you should be able to quickly recognize certain situations and administer the proper response. Of course, as David said, this does raise the expectations on you as well.
---In the staff chat, you generally "get it" with problem players that are brought up and know that what they are doing is wrong and need to be punished. But again, that response can't just be pushed down the line - you need to be willing to do it yourself and take the flack that you might be incurred in response from the playerbase.

I'm going to have to more thoroughly to this tomorrow morning since I'm out of energy tonight, but I don't want to go 9+ hours without a response to it.  Basically, long story short (which will be told tomorrow), this player in particular has been a problem for the past week in various ways, and today had been arguing with Nazu all day after an rdm despite being told by multiple staff to drop it.  Synthray, KaptainLes, and thunderwalrus all can confirm this player has been picking fights non stop, in particular way after I had left for the evening.  As for the micspam, I genuinely did not know the situation was that bad outside of heavy spam during mapchanges.  I did not hear anything loud or often enough to clamp down on it at the time.