Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Suggestion Megathread
While playing on the TTT server is usually enjoyable, probably the biggest turn-off (next to knives) of wanting to play is the map rotation. So many maps are so poorly balanced, with most (amsterville) being way too big, and some (skeld) being way too small. I totally get that finding maps that can support 32 people but not kill the server under 16 is difficult to do, but the map list definitely needs some spiffing up when that's usually the thing that kills the server or prevents population. As such, I've gotten together a list of which maps I personally (in my own opinion which is, in no way, without bias, nor is it objectively correct) think would be best to be added/removed as to create a better player experience. This also includes my thoughts on why each map is good/bad. I made the selection for each map based on actually playtesting them with a full server of people, and heavily considered how the server will stand up to high capacity, as well as things like jump packs.
DISCLAIMER: No comments I make on a map's quality are intended to be hurtful; take them with a grain of salt.
ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMER: I don't hate everything.

ADD: 
+ttt_happyhome (a good size for 32 players, good variety as far as verticality and size goes)
+ttt_poolparty (a smaller reimagined version of popular map ttt_communitypool, would work well with 32 players)
+ttt_mw2_terminal (great size for 32 players or just 16, fun times with explosive barrels and has something for everyone)
+ttt_islandstreets (no joke when I say this map's not only one of the most visually stunning maps for ttt, and gmod in general, but is excellently balanced and I have no doubt it would perform well with 32 players)
+ttt_port (similar to islandstreets, a solid map for balanced gameplay of all sorts, with something for everyone.)
+ttt_brewery (excellent, well rounded map similar to islandstreets. features an interesting easter egg/objective as well as t traps + tester, etc.)
+ttt_forest_final (similar to ttt_port but smaller, still capable of supporting 32 players)
+ttt_skyscraper_2015_v1p_f4 (really unsure about this one, but it could definitely be a nice mix-up. I don't imagine it being all that unbalanced, no matter how much people use C4's)
+ttt_theskeld_v1 (much better balanced than current skeld version, much more highly polished, better looking, same functionalities with more room to move around and a very fascinating lights-off system)

Remove list below:

REMOVE:
-ttt_skeld (way too small, has jarringly bad issues with being able to dominate as traitors by camping the reactor during meltdown, extremely difficult to prevent)
-ttt_amsterville (way too big, could literally be split into two separate maps and those might still be too big)
-ttt_toytimegalaxy (see above, way too big)
-ttt_arghhh (see above, way too big)
-ttt_canyon_a4 (see above, way too big)
-ttt_rooftops_2016 (way too big, turns into sniper hell)
-ttt_terrortrain (is literally just two long hallways stacked on top of each other with no real room to move l
-ttt_terrortown (poor visibility, generally poor quality and a bad experience)
-ttt_wintermansion_beta2 (awful visibility outside, very little ammo, leads to people camping in the dark)
-ttt_whitehouse_v9 (way too big and convoluted, leads to long rounds)
-ttt_floodlights (while I do like how different the vertical play is, it's also fairly convoluted and has an area accessible only by elevator, leading to a lot of camping and delaying)
-ttt_skytower_b1 (super convoluted map, way more overly complex than it needs to be)
-ttt_vault (actually a really cool fallout recreation but still hard to play on for the reasons above)

-ttt_datmap_dinks (and all ttt_datmap versions) ((none of this is directed at the person who made the dinks version) godawful for the reasons above, way too convoluted and generally an awful experience to play on; you can still get into the t room despite the fixes but the attempt was nice)
-ttt_crummy_cradle (while I do genuinely enjoy playing on this map, it can all too easily become an awful experience of camping with snipers delaying the round way longer than necessary. still pretty iffy on actually having this one removed, since the experience is entirely dependent on the player quality.)
-ttt_bikinibottom (a bit too small, only real benefit are the two easter eggs)
-ttt_metropolis_v2a (wayyy too big, also has the same issues as rooftops but with poor kill zones, as well)
-ttt_lost_land (pretty terrible map for visibility due to fog, poor for gameplay due to bad layout, and feels more like a sandbox map than a ttt map)
-ttt_redcanyon (too large and open, heat wave mechanic is really cool and different but ultimately causes confusion for everyone)
-ttt_ratsmildorm_v2_final (generally poor quality map, pretty barebones and a shoddy experience)
-ttt_rpgvillage_edit (usually not too bad but is very bright, and often is either too large for people to find each other, or becomes sniper hell)
-ttt_alspenthouse (same issues as floodlights in terms of convolutedness and verticality)
-ttt_badjan (very poor visibility and unnecessary clutter, such as the UFO)

I do plan on suggesting more maps to be added, I assembled this original list of additions/removals in the span of a day, but will dig deeper for new maps when I have time.
you lost me at removing canyon and crummy smhhhhhhh.
(06-20-2021, 08:47 AM)dan Wrote: you lost me at removing canyon and crummy smhhhhhhh.
Gotta agree, especially Canyon.
 Uh oh, all errors!
I pretty much agree with everything in the OP except for removing crummy. I like that map. The new maps are AWFUL though.
https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...p?tid=8346

fat agree on most of the removals except canyon tho, canyon is good map
pls remove rooftop 2016 you need the rtx 4090 to play at 60fps
also MW2 terminal looks very cool, I played the MC version a lot
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Let’s bring back the Harry Potter map too. That was a decent size map.
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]
(06-20-2021, 12:20 PM)bryanbrr Wrote: Let’s bring back the Harry Potter map too. That was a decent size map.
That map was horribly optimized, too big, and exploitable beyond belief. No thanks
you guys really removing the OG TTT maps.

I mean, I understand removing trappy cottage but Lost Temple? Canyon? Amsterville?

There is a time when you can go too far man ;(
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
this is the dumbest post i have ever seen someone just delete it right now dear lord "let's remove all the good maps because they're "too big" when it hasn't even been much of a problem, my t turret 'strat' just doesn't work on them"
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)