Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School and future
My university requires two years of a foreign language in high school for admission so I would advise you either stay the course in Spanish or find another language offered that suits you better.
(09-07-2022, 12:59 PM)jax Wrote: I think you’re over thinking it and if you don’t like a class just drop it, stop worrying about University when you still have multiple years before you graduate high school.

You don’t need college credits to get into university, forget that piece of information because it’s not really relevant to your “dilemma”

You don't need college credits to get into university, but it can make a real difference in how quickly you can complete your degree and whether you can take other classes that interest you once you're in college. I'm not of the belief that college is the only good post-high school option, but if someone intends to go, having credits to get out of future class requirements can certainly be worth sitting through a class they don't like.

All that being said, my university was super shitty about accepting credits earned in high school, and I'm sure many others are the same :/
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I don't think the university I went to required any, but my highschool did require you take and pass 2 years (so 4 total semesters) of a foreign lang to graduate. Probably so you wouldn't have to worry about if the college you planed on attending required it.
[Image: oWCbLWL.png]
(09-07-2022, 01:49 PM)Ryan722 Wrote:
(09-07-2022, 12:59 PM)jax Wrote: I think you’re over thinking it and if you don’t like a class just drop it, stop worrying about University when you still have multiple years before you graduate high school.

You don’t need college credits to get into university, forget that piece of information because it’s not really relevant to your “dilemma”

You don't need college credits to get into university, but it can make a real difference in how quickly you can complete your degree and whether you can take other classes that interest you once you're in college. I'm not of the belief that college is the only good post-high school option, but if someone intends to go, having credits to get out of future class requirements can certainly be worth sitting through a class they don't like.

All that being said, my university was super shitty about accepting credits earned in high school, and I'm sure many others are the same :/

Sitting through a class you don’t like, without really learning anything, just to satisfy a credit requirement seems like terrible advice. 

If he doesn’t enjoy the class, he is not going to learn anything and at that point any talk of credits is irrelevant. Especially being a foreign language
[Image: xdjlve.png]
(09-07-2022, 02:34 PM)jax Wrote: Sitting through a class you don’t like, without really learning anything, just to satisfy a credit requirement seems like terrible advice.

If he doesn’t enjoy the class, he is not going to learn anything and at that point any talk of credits is irrelevant. Especially being a foreign language

I agree with this to a certain extent. Again though, if he intends to attend a university with a language requirement, they won't care if he doesn't like the class, and if the claims from my university peers carry any weight, university language courses are quite a bit more difficult than a high school foreign language class. It may be worth it to get it out of the way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Si no tomas la clase de español, no podras leer esto sin un traductor.

But in all honestly even if its an easy language to learn, if you have problems learning it try finding one easier for you
[Image: unknown.png]
I don't think it would matter a 'huge' deal if you dropped Spanish. Granted it might take out credits and basically check off Spanish for you if you do go to college and major (major is choosing which subject you want to study and graduate with) in a subject that may require Spanish. A ton of variables that come into play but certain or maybe most subjects don't require it. For instance, my major doesn't require me to take a Spanish class to be a graphic designer (which would make no sense if they told me I needed Spanish classes completed) and isn't a necessity. It would look good on your record that you took Spanish and even in jobs if they may require bilingual speakers and raise you to be selected for hiring at certain jobs. Also take into note that Spanish classes may teach different variations (like Latin or other ones I cant remember) and not necessarily spanglish like some bilingual people know. My best bet for you is to drop it if you don't like the teacher and class. Better to put your time into classes you may be interested in more than being in a class you despise and flunking. My advice to you as a current freshman in college right now! If you need to ask me any more questions, you know where to find me!
So another language is hard but some colleges require a foreign language. Me personally I did sign language for 3 years and I find that more useful as a second language. And colleges accept sign language as a foreign language.
[Image: nXzQb2c.jpg]
I recommend speaking to your school’s advisor or career planner, but if they suck or are non-existent, I understand why you’d ask the interwebs for help.
Colleges require a certain number of credits in order for you to graduate. Your decided major may require credits specifically in foreign language to get your degree. In order to get credits you either take classes in college, take AP courses in high school, take classes in community college, or high school courses that give college credits (I guess your Spanish class does this). I got my degree in Biology, and I needed to take 2 semesters of a foreign language (mine was Spanish). My friends who are mostly in STEM also needed foreign language credits for their degrees. I didn’t take AP Spanish, but I received college credit in other courses in high school, and this let me graduate early, but also pace myself in college, which I found immensely helpful.

Advantage of sticking with your Spanish class:
• Potentially graduate earlier (dependent on your major and university)
o Also you save money and time
• Have a more chill time in college (you don’t have to take a foreign language in college, but that depends if your major even needs it)
• Have a second language, and communicate with Spanish people

Advantage of dropping now:
• Short term comfort
• Have a more chill time in High School
• More time to play Gmod

Alternate option:
• Pick a different foreign language
• Switch to a different teacher
If you don't like taking language classes, you don't really need them, there are plenty of opportunities for higher education that don't need foreign language credits. I personally wouldn't toil through a class I don't like when I could be spending the time learning something I like