Arguing Semantics
+1 unban, stop banning people I liek. Widdy gon for a year and now the servers only Jude, this is breking my heart

EDIT: wait it's not an unban app
[Image: Rmvvz8x.gif]
In a vacuum I think "Antisemantic Goose" is a pretty cool name and I personally wouldn't look at it twice. I don't have an opinion on whether or not it's "skirting the rules", thats on you guys

The racist queue combined with your heat from being a bitch about changing your old trash username is completely on you though, it's really making it tough for people to be sympathetic on this "issue". People who think racism = funny need to stop being 14 and get some better material
Definitely agree with Russ re: the racist shit, though my opinion is pretty firmly that "Antisemantic Goose" is not at all skirting around the rules, just a funny play on his long-term name that is perfectly within the rules. Nobody who speaks English is going to mistake "antisemantic" for "anti-semitic" after at least one glance.

Not to say the warn/ban aren't justified, but I don't think the name should even enter into the judgement.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(02-15-2024, 01:18 AM)Ryan722 Wrote: Nobody who speaks English is going to mistake "antisemantic" for "anti-semitic" after at least one glance.
A guest joined and did exactly that almost immediately
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
(02-15-2024, 01:32 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(02-15-2024, 01:18 AM)Ryan722 Wrote: Nobody who speaks English is going to mistake "antisemantic" for "anti-semitic" after at least one glance.
A guest joined and did exactly that almost immediately
obviously pokes a big hole in this argument lol but my opinion remains, having a name that's similar to the name he was asked to change but completely unproblematic should not enter in the judgement to warn/ban.

Edit:
I don't really think it's worth going back and forth on what seems to be a minor point among a few actually justified reasons to ban/warn goose, but I do think it's a lapse in judgement for staff to double down on this reason with the name. If he played a racist queue, that's a solid reason, and warrants the warn and accompanying ban--but make it about that
I don't think it's incredibly hard to see that when you're told to change your name from something prejudiced, changing it to something that is a "funny play" on it.. is in fact, skirting around the rule that was being enforced, regardless of whether or not the word "antisemantic" is against the rules.

I was on the server the other night with you after the change and people were still calling you antisemitic and making jokes about the name change, I do also remember a guest joining and getting the name confused almost immediately.

The admin team has decided that what you're doing is not okay, you were warned to knock it off and you are choosing to double down. Don't know what you expected, assuming this isn't a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: I also believe it's pointless to go back and forth about this, but that is specifically what this thread is for. Discussing him having to change his name again. Which once again, the admins (at least from what I've gathered) have told him to do as they find it to be skirting around that specific rule.

The warns in place were for the queue and his behavior, to my knowledge, and have nothing to do with his name. Completely separate issues.
[Image: ac7pbrI.png]
- courtesy of coco <333
Both sides have had some pretty solid points, but if this particular name change was done at a different time I don’t think it would’ve been as big of a deal and maybe wouldn’t have even been brought up.. Right now it rubs off as you trying to poke the bear regardless of your original intention. People have said this already, but as far as I know you were only punished for your racist queue and general behavior on server. I don’t know why this is being made out to spite over the name change (maybe some ppl are idk). Fact of the matter is this ban was done because of what I and others said and the name thing is getting goofy at this point man.
Should the new name really be an issue? He did change it and though it may be skirting, its not our fault some people cant really read or have to double take. We aren't their teachers, and the new name isn't really rule breaking. There's plenty of words spelled similar to words we don't allow that we do allow and it'd be pretty silly to disallow them, so to me this is kind of silly even if it's a bigoted thing for how close it still is. I don't care how this turns out either way, I just found it a bit silly.
(02-15-2024, 11:13 AM)cow Wrote: Should the new name really be an issue? He did change it and though it may be skirting, its not our fault some people cant really read or have to double take. We aren't their teachers, and the new name isn't really rule breaking. There's plenty of words spelled similar to words we don't allow that we do allow and it'd be pretty silly to disallow them, so to me this is kind of silly even if it's a bigoted thing for how close it still is. I don't care how this turns out either way, I just found it a bit silly.
this is why the context matters, he changed it to be as close as possible to "antisemitic" because he was being forced to change his name lol. If a random guest joined with the name "antisemantic" it would have a different context than goose. I don't agree with blanket punishing words that rhyme with orange but I don't believe that is what is occurring here.

Also "antisemantic" not even a real word lol, that kind of reinforces the idea that it's just poking the bear at this point, no?
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
In a vacuum, the name Antisemantic Goose is fine. However, when you add it to the context of your previous name and the racist queue, it becomes a clear attempt to push the boundaries to see what pushes back. With something this close you should have asked staff if the similarities would have been an issue and gone from there, but instead you got a handful of warns and a 2w threshold ban for your trouble.