Arguing Semantics
Ingame Name: Antisemantic Goose

STEAM I.D. : https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561199146592212/

Who Banned You: Tiefling Lesbian

Reason for ban: Warn Threshhold including a 6 point trolling warn

Reason for warn appeal: lately my name has been the topic of discussion. after some debate i followed admins orders and changed my name as to not be associated with "anti-Semitism". it is now my understanding i have to change it  again as i am skirting around my old name. i do not believe my current name is against the rules. I will accept my two week ban for racist queue, but now when i return i will have to change it again. at what point will i be in  accordance with the rules. thank you
It's not breaking a rule. It's a legitimate word. Chibill saw it earlier yesterday and didn't say a word. I think parts of the staff team might just be mad at Goose and that's coming out here. If it was something that meant the same thing, or something that wasn't a word that was close, that would be one thing. If he wants to forever be known by antisemantic, which is just some play on words, the only reason to have a problem with that is being purposefully obtuse.

If I changed my name to this a week ago, it wouldn't be a problem, which means it should be a problem here. That's truly all there is to it.
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
(02-14-2024, 09:45 PM)cum at first sight Wrote: Chibill saw it earlier yesterday and didn't say a word.

I saw it, mistook it as his original name, had to check that it wasn't (was about to kick him for it even before I figured out it wasn't his original name), and brought the fact hat he had it up with the rest of the Admin Team. Just because I don't directly object to something that is skirting around the rules without discussing it with the rest of the team, does not make it okay.
I'm not particularly understanding how the word is still against the rules under current guidelines. While I could see the point that it is "skirting the rules", the fact still remains that semantic has zero meaning in reference to antisemitism, therefore I don't see it possible to be skirting the rules.

If goose was a brand new player and joined with the name Antisemantic Goose nobody would be able to have an issue with it. While yes, with context it is still spelled similar to what his previous name was, it's still the fact its a completely different word.

As frustrated as staff may be that they feel like they are being trolled by this, its still not against the rules. If we want to hold a stricter guideline to the rules, we can't enforce something outside of the rules simply because we don't like a given player.
[Image: rdm-corp-squarelogo-1446787792629.png]
(02-14-2024, 09:50 PM)BillyBob Wrote: As frustrated as staff may be that they feel like they are being trolled by this, its still not against the rules. If we want to hold a stricter guideline to the rules, we can't enforce something outside of the rules simply because we don't like a given player.
This decision had nothing to do with anyone's opinion on goose as a person. It's based on the fact that he is skirting the decision on his previous name, combined with his overall behavior and his queue with the racist title and slur.
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
(02-14-2024, 09:53 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 09:50 PM)BillyBob Wrote: As frustrated as staff may be that they feel like they are being trolled by this, its still not against the rules. If we want to hold a stricter guideline to the rules, we can't enforce something outside of the rules simply because we don't like a given player.
This decision had nothing to do with anyone's opinion on goose as a person. It's based on the fact that he is skirting the decision on his previous name, combined with his overall behavior and his queue with the racist title and slur.

But this post isnt about his ban, que, or slur in general. This is strictly about the warn regarding his name/the ruling that he cannot have the name Anti-Semantic. 

So I go back to, how is it skirting the rules if the word is a completely different word? To me skirting would be if he was trying to use a different spelling of antisemetic, a synonym, etc etc.
[Image: rdm-corp-squarelogo-1446787792629.png]
[Image: image.png?ex=65dff23e&is=65cd7d3e&hm=5cd...6594c093b&]
yeah man, really wonder who'd get the words mixed up. purposefully obtuse or whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[Image: ac7pbrI.png]
- courtesy of coco <333
(02-14-2024, 09:58 PM)bab Wrote: [Image: image.png?ex=65dff23e&is=65cd7d3e&hm=5cd...6594c093b&]
yeah man, really wonder who'd get the words mixed up. purposefully obtuse or whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hey remember when i posted about y'all being word police?
i mean lowkey at this point you guys are arguing about semantics
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
Semantics (n)

the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.

Stupid logic. He changed his name to be something that wasn't Anti-Jew. Sure, you can pull a straw-man argument and say "oh, he knew what he was doing" but he did what was asked.
smh my head