Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some insight
So I just wanted to ask the community what y'all know about being a game warden. I've been thinking that I want to pursue a job in the Fishing and wildlife department of law enforcement. Biology and law enforcement have always been things that I have wanted to look into and possibly make a career out of. This job seems like the perfect blend of the two. Currently, I am a junior in high school so I have plenty of time to prepare and research what I'm getting into. As of right now, I work as an unpaid apprentice at a strings shop here in South Carolina. We are taught plenty of valuable skills and really just improve as musicians. I wonder how being a game warden would affect my musical career. My hope is to be able to keep playing violin and cello, but also hold up a job as a game warden. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking I can juggle the two but I'll try. I have a passion for both music and biology. Perhaps this isn't the right place to post this but to hell with it. Might as well ask and see what kind of knowledge I might gain. While I'm at it I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask about everyone else's careers. I'm fairly certain a similar thread has been posted but an update would be cool.
[Image: atomic_vault_boy_by_lolwut_kun.jpg]
(05-28-2019, 10:20 PM)Dolphin Wrote: So I just wanted to ask the community what y'all know about being a game warden. I've been thinking that I want to pursue a job in the Fishing and wildlife department of law enforcement. Biology and law enforcement have always been things that I have wanted to look into and possibly make a career out of. This job seems like the perfect blend of the two. Currently, I am a junior in high school so I have plenty of time to prepare and research what I'm getting into. As of right now, I work as an unpaid apprentice at a strings shop here in South Carolina. We are taught plenty of valuable skills and really just improve as musicians. I wonder how being a game warden would affect my musical career. My hope is to be able to keep playing violin and cello, but also hold up a job as a game warden. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking I can juggle the two but I'll try. I have a passion for both music and biology. Perhaps this isn't the right place to post this but to hell with it. Might as well ask and see what kind of knowledge I might gain. While I'm at it I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask about everyone else's careers. I'm fairly certain a similar thread has been posted but an update would be cool.

I studied environmental science and talked to some people who work in enviro police (state and USFWS) and the like, most of them went to college for more criminal justice/law related things since they are still cops, just a special type, and though you could theoretically double major it's probably better along the way to go into the police side first. You might also not want to spend too much on college because while the public sector benefits are great, while you are going into it for the fact you enjoy it, the pay is not that great as compared to the level of responsibility (unless you do federal). You also might want to watch North Woods Law on Animal Planet which follows New Hampshire's fish and game police, I love that show. It's still TV so there's things cut out I'm certain, but it shows a lot of the good and bad that they have in their daily jobs.
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
(05-28-2019, 10:31 PM)Dildo Shwaggins Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 10:20 PM)Dolphin Wrote: So I just wanted to ask the community what y'all know about being a game warden. I've been thinking that I want to pursue a job in the Fishing and wildlife department of law enforcement. Biology and law enforcement have always been things that I have wanted to look into and possibly make a career out of. This job seems like the perfect blend of the two. Currently, I am a junior in high school so I have plenty of time to prepare and research what I'm getting into. As of right now, I work as an unpaid apprentice at a strings shop here in South Carolina. We are taught plenty of valuable skills and really just improve as musicians. I wonder how being a game warden would affect my musical career. My hope is to be able to keep playing violin and cello, but also hold up a job as a game warden. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking I can juggle the two but I'll try. I have a passion for both music and biology. Perhaps this isn't the right place to post this but to hell with it. Might as well ask and see what kind of knowledge I might gain. While I'm at it I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask about everyone else's careers. I'm fairly certain a similar thread has been posted but an update would be cool.

I studied environmental science and talked to some people who work in enviro police (state and USFWS) and the like, most of them went to college for more criminal justice/law related things since they are still cops, just a special type, and though you could theoretically double major it's probably better along the way to go into the police side first. You might also not want to spend too much on college because while the public sector benefits are great, while you are going into it for the fact you enjoy it, the pay is not that great as compared to the level of responsibility (unless you do federal). You also might want to watch North Woods Law on Animal Planet which follows New Hampshire's fish and game police, I love that show. It's still TV so there's things cut out I'm certain, but it shows a lot of the good and bad that they have in their daily jobs.
I got you covered with the watching Animal planet part. I absolutely love watching that channel. I'm actually watching Lone Star Law right now on Animal Planet. I agree it makes sense to study more on the law side of things as Wardens typically deal more with people than with wildlife. It's still vital to be well versed in both fields though. I feel that my biggest obstacle would be learning all of the laws and regulations of my state, I imagine that is a learning curb for most wardens in training though so I shouldn't be too worried.
(05-28-2019, 10:41 PM)Dolphin Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 10:31 PM)Dildo Shwaggins Wrote:

I got you covered with the watching Animal planet part. I absolutely love watching that channel. I'm actually watching Lone Star Law right now on Animal Planet. I agree it makes sense to study more on the law side of things as Wardens typically deal more with people than with wildlife. It's still vital to be well versed in both fields though. I feel that my biggest obstacle would be learning all of the laws and regulations of my state, I imagine that is a learning curb for most wardens in training though so I shouldn't be too worried.
Yeah laws are a lot to memorize so that makes sense. And yeah, I live REALLY close to NH and they sometimes have towns I frequent there on it so it's cool to see them doing their work pretty much in my community on TV.
Yeah, I got something similar to that where I live Dildo. I live near Richland county so I see a LOT of familiar areas on Live PD. It's kind of disturbing, I know I live in a pretty high crime area but still, it's daunting. Luckily I haven't recognized anyone on there yet. Hopefully, I never will. It's super surreal really. I absolutely adore the climate and plant life up in the northeast. I've thought of living up in the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont area someday just for the beautiful trees and wildlife. I'm not sure though, as much as my state sucks in a lot of ways, I still love it.
(05-28-2019, 11:35 PM)Dolphin Wrote: Yeah, I got something similar to that where I live Dildo. I live near Richland county so I see a LOT of familiar areas on Live PD. It's kind of disturbing, I know I live in a pretty high crime area but still, it's daunting. Luckily I haven't recognized anyone on there yet. Hopefully, I never will. It's super surreal really. I absolutely adore the climate and plant life up in the northeast. I've thought of living up in the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont area someday just for the beautiful trees and wildlife. I'm not sure though, as much as my state sucks in a lot of ways, I still love it.

Yeah Live PD also does Warwick RI which is a place I frequented a lot when I lived in my family in eastern CT. And yeah, I'm in western MA myself now and I love the natural beauty here. I've never lived down south or really traveled farther south than VA in a long time so it's not something I know what it's like to live in. I'd probably feel like I'm burning alive in the summer for one.
(05-28-2019, 11:43 PM)Dildo Shwaggins Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 11:35 PM)Dolphin Wrote: Yeah, I got something similar to that where I live Dildo. I live near Richland county so I see a LOT of familiar areas on Live PD. It's kind of disturbing, I know I live in a pretty high crime area but still, it's daunting. Luckily I haven't recognized anyone on there yet. Hopefully, I never will. It's super surreal really. I absolutely adore the climate and plant life up in the northeast. I've thought of living up in the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont area someday just for the beautiful trees and wildlife. I'm not sure though, as much as my state sucks in a lot of ways, I still love it.

Yeah Live PD also does Warwick RI which is a place I frequented a lot when I lived in my family in eastern CT. And yeah, I'm in western MA myself now and I love the natural beauty here. I've never lived down south or really traveled farther south than VA in a long time so it's not something I know what it's like to live in. I'd probably feel like I'm burning alive in the summer for one.
Oh most definitely. The heat, humidity, and mosquitos are terrible but you get used to it. So wait you live in Maine right. Are there as many quaint little fishing towns as is like stereotyped? That is like my dream place to live.
(05-28-2019, 11:52 PM)Dolphin Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 11:43 PM)Dildo Shwaggins Wrote:

Oh most definitely. The heat, humidity, and mosquitos are terrible but you get used to it. So wait you live in Maine right. Are there as many quaint little fishing towns as is like stereotyped? That is like my dream place to live.
MA is Massachusetts, ME is Maine. But I have traveled to Maine and yeah, you do have nice seaside villages in many places along the coast there. New England is unique in the sense that within a 2-5 hour drive you could be near the ocean, mountains, cities, etc.
Hello Sixstrings,

It's extremely hard to break through into the musical world. That shouldn't stop you from your musical pursuits, however. I'm not sure what you can do with a violin or cello, but you can certainly keep that musical interest going for the rest of your life. As some of y'all may know, I like to sing despite being horrible at it. But it's something I've done since I was a tiny little lad and I keep that interest going every single day, much to the chagrin of my roommates. In the shower, in the car, making a sandwich, changing a tire - I can be caught singing a catchy tune or making up my own based on what I'm doing. Don't let life prevent you from fiddling out a tune with your violin and bow.

On the idea of becoming a game warden - that's a wonderful idea. Similar to Mr. Schwaggins, I studied geography in college. One of the classes I took that could be topical was titled National Parks and Protected Areas Management. It was a great class where I learned more about the life of a game warden, along with general park management tasks. Game wardens are invaluable to the protection of our environmental resources and wildlife. We need people like you. I also watch North Woods Law - great show. It seems like you have a genuine interest in the life of a game warden - I think you should pursue it. You've already got a much better idea of what you want to do than I did when I was 17/18.

Mr. Schwaggins if correct that you shouldn't spend too much on college. Without a doubt, you should attend a public school. Game wardens don't make vast amounts of money so you don't want to spend the rest of your life paying off student loans. Being a musician doesn't pay well either and you miss out on the benefits of working for a state, federal, or local government (pensions, healthcare, early retirement - see rule of 80).

Ultimately, you'll have to decide what to do on your own. I started college as a business major set on working in real estate and I graduated on Friday as a Geography/History major headed to law school to learn how to protect the environment through legal means.

Best of luck my friend and remember not to do drugs,

Nicky
(05-29-2019, 12:37 AM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: Hello Sixstrings,

It's extremely hard to break through into the musical world. That shouldn't stop you from your musical pursuits, however. I'm not sure what you can do with a violin or cello, but you can certainly keep that musical interest going for the rest of your life. As some of y'all may know, I like to sing despite being horrible at it. But it's something I've done since I was a tiny little lad and I keep that interest going every single day, much to the chagrin of my roommates. In the shower, in the car, making a sandwich, changing a tire - I can be caught singing a catchy tune or making up my own based on what I'm doing. Don't let life prevent you from fiddling out a tune with your violin and bow.

On the idea of becoming a game warden - that's a wonderful idea. Similar to Mr. Schwaggins, I studied geography in college. One of the classes I took that could be topical was titled National Parks and Protected Areas Management. It was a great class where I learned more about the life of a game warden, along with general park management tasks. Game wardens are invaluable to the protection of our environmental resources and wildlife. We need people like you. I also watch North Woods Law - great show. It seems like you have a genuine interest in the life of a game warden - I think you should pursue it. You've already got a much better idea of what you want to do than I did when I was 17/18.

Mr. Schwaggins if correct that you shouldn't spend too much on college. Without a doubt, you should attend a public school. Game wardens don't make vast amounts of money so you don't want to spend the rest of your life paying off student loans. Being a musician doesn't pay well either and you miss out on the benefits of working for a state, federal, or local government (pensions, healthcare, early retirement - see rule of 80).

Ultimately, you'll have to decide what to do on your own. I started college as a business major set on working in real estate and I graduated on Friday as a Geography/History major headed to law school to learn how to protect the environment through legal means.

Best of luck my friend and remember not to do drugs,

Nicky
Thank you, Prince, I appreciate the response. It's very helpful. I'm not surprised you graduated with a history major like at all. I actually considered being a historian as well. I greatly enjoy history and have always been fascinated by it. I don't really intend on being a professional musician, at least not in an orchestra. The thought of joining a bluegrass band here in SC is definitely a prospect I am interested in but as a secondary job. I primarily want to focus on my career as a game warden. I don't intend on putting down my musical career by any means but my priorities are focused towards wildlife conservation and protection. My love for wildlife and biology is very similar to your passion for singing, by that I mean from an early age I've dreamed of being a biologist and working with animals. I love animals and it breaks my heart that people poach and destroy many of Earth's beautiful species. What with having careers centered around the environment I'd even bet we could run into each other in the future. The only problem is actually becoming a warden first. It's a competitive field, but I believe I have the drive to make it. Student loans are an issue I will definitely need to overcome, but hopefully, with the guidance of my family and the potential scholarships I can achieve their impact will be minimal. Only time will tell I suppose, but I shall definitely be preparing. I need to pass a physical aptitude test amongst many other tests. Studying laws and regulations is a good start and running a mile a day couldn't hurt. I've got a few good years to prepare so that is what I shall do.