Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KOS off location or not?
So I just got into a situation that I personally feel should be an exemption to the "no KOS off location rule".
this occurred on island specifically, but there are probably other maps  this scenario could be replicated on.

So someone started going up the elevator (on island), and shot at me as it went up. I called a KOS on "the guy in the elevator" because I didn't see their name, and there was no other way in or out of the elevator. He was killed by someone at the top.

If feels really stupid that something like this would fall under the no location KOS rule, where there is no other way for anyone to get in or out. I feel like this should be an exemption from that rule.
[Image: phzdad0ules31.jpg]
This is something that gets fought about all the time, I'm sorry to hear you got punished on this. Who was the one that punished you for it?
I sit in the camp of common sense takes precedence over KOS off location. If you can use deductible reasoning to single out a T with no holes in your explanation or reasoning why you KOS'd or killed a T (only one way in and out of an elevator), then you shouldn't be slain. That is my opinion though and not the opinion of the staff, so take that with a grain of salt.
I'm more mad about the rule being so anti-common sense than the slay. The person was also a test mod, and they were the highest rank on at the moment aside from donor+.
I don't hold it against them, they were just using their own judgement and were following the rules.
Well it would have to be a fool proof case. I didn’t see it or the timing, but if I scenario can be made where you kosed the wrong person then the idea doesn’t work. Almost any case can have a hole poked in it by the teleport item

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
Getting punished for KOSing a person in a location which can only objectively contain that person at that time is pretty lame imo
Island elevator. no way in, only teleporter could get you out, in which case a location KOS is useless.
It is against the TTT rules to use common sense, you should know this by now.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
You shouldn't have been slain. That's dumb. There's a difference in between using common sense and KOSing purely off of a broad location, which anyone could be in.
People need to lump KOSes off of location alongside metagaming and KOSing off of player models and such. Understand WHY they're against the rules and the act accordingly. If you only take the rules like this at face value you'll be slain for stupid shit constantly.

forgive this incomprehensible rant but here's me trying to explain my thought pattern.

Metagaming is using something, such as player model, appearance, a general location, or another external case completely based on chance. That's why you can't kill off of it. Take a look at my gear equipped on the TTT server. I have the Duck Floaty and a Combine Mask. Both of which a normal player could not get, if you see me jumping around with a disguiser on you know it's me, right? Well, take for example an admin gets on and wants to completely replicate my appearance, or give someone the tools TO replicate what I look like, guest to a donor. Because there is a CHANCE, no matter how small it is, that is why you cannot KOS off of a player's model or accessories. We can translate this pretty easily over to the general location KOSes. If they fall under the category of ≠ 100% then it's a KOS off of location, which is metagaming. If it does = 100% as in the case of a one-way elevator that doesn't have any teleportation marks in it I'd say its a completely fair kill that was carried out through logic.

TL;DR
I wouldn't slay you if it was clear cut 100% no other way around it or about its logic, i.e. understanding numbers of t's (while factoring dc's) or this specific case.
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
Then could we specify this in the rules? There were 2 donor+ and one test mod, and none of them wanted to take the risk that this could be taken as abuse by bending the rules.
well truly it isn't abuse. Its a literal reading of the rules and how they were taught. That IS what the rules say

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon