Poll: Removal of Point shop
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Remove Point Shop
11.11%
2 11.11%
Keep It
88.89%
16 88.89%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removal of Point Shop
I have a crazy idea, and it might not work but what if we remove the point shop for the time being and have a new one created by the community?
[Image: Epic-Samurai.gif?fit=750%2C353&quality=8...=all&ssl=1]
I think we've all come to the conclusion that Pointshop 2 is pretty garbage, but the problem is 1, Another option has yet to be found, and 2, even with another option, a lot of technical labor has to be undertaken to get people's items and points over to the new shop, and we realistically don't have anyone in a drivers seat capable of doing that.

Casually converting the entire Prophunt item and point records (at the VERY least, 50,000 unique players) into a format the new shop would use, whatever that new shop would be, is bound to throw a massive wrench in the works somewhere along the line. Provided that Pointshop 2 still works to a reasonable degree, it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(05-11-2020, 07:15 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: I think we've all come to the conclusion that Pointshop 2 is pretty garbage, but the problem is 1, Another option has yet to be found, and 2, even with another option, a lot of technical labor has to be undertaken to get people's items and points over to the new shop, and we realistically don't have anyone in a drivers seat capable of doing that.

Casually converting the entire Prophunt item and point records (at the VERY least, 50,000 unique players) into a format the new shop would use, whatever that new shop would be, is bound to throw a massive wrench in the works somewhere along the line. Provided that Pointshop 2 still works to a reasonable degree, it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.
I agree a hundred percent but for the part about transferring everybody's items over, i think we shouldn't worry about it to much as the point shop is really ruining the game  with all the technical issues if you want to make it simplified we could just request all players to screenshot their inventories and we can just compensate people points and for items lost or we can just give all players a certain amount of points at the beginning. But still of course if we have all the people screenshot their inventories someone has to sit there and go through them all.
(05-11-2020, 07:24 PM)Forsaken Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 07:15 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: I think we've all come to the conclusion that Pointshop 2 is pretty garbage, but the problem is 1, Another option has yet to be found, and 2, even with another option, a lot of technical labor has to be undertaken to get people's items and points over to the new shop, and we realistically don't have anyone in a drivers seat capable of doing that.

I agree a hundred percent but for the part about transferring everybody's items over, i think we shouldn't worry about it to much as the point shop is really ruining the game  with all the technical issues if you want to make it simplified we could just request all players to screenshot their inventories and we can just compensate people points and for items lost or we can just give all players a certain amount of points at the beginning. But still of course if we have all the people screenshot their inventories someone has to sit there and go through them all.

All the players screenshots? Do you even realize how many screenshots that would be? Now people who donated and got a certain amount of premium points within the last few months maybe, but EVERYONE? Only people who can add items to an individual's inventory are admins, co-owners, and the owner. Which for PH is me and Dink. That responsibility would mainly fall on me with that and that would take days if not weeks to get everyone covered. I realize the pointshop is causing issues, getting rid of the pointshop would get rid of skins, cosmetics, weapons, jet packs etc. People might be fine with for the first week but then they would start complaining about either not being able to buy anything or losing all of their items.

We could get (or need) a new pointshop if the one we have cannot have a feasible way of fixing the current one. The likelihood of being able to carry everyone's stuff over is unlikely. People would complain about that as well with a clean slate even though many don't use the pointshop anyways and just have everything given to them instead of earning it but that's a tangent. If we keep it and cannot fix it people will complain, we could get a new one and probably not be able to transfer everyone's stuff over and I can absolutely guarantee you that people would complain about this, or if we get a new one and somehow find a way transfer some if not everyone's items over they will complain for some reason (trust me they will).

This would not affect new players as much but would rather really hurt the regulars. Some abuse the shop and know the tricks to get their items back quickly, while others causally play and get their items over a great deal of time.

I want to make this clear is that we know this is an issue and we are trying to work on it but in the meantime we ask for your patience and understanding. All of us has experienced this issue by now or have at least heard about it.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
I think we can all agree that all the regulars by now know and understand that the point shop is an issue and are more than willing to to take the loss of items and skins for a better time within the game, and youre right theres always going to be people complaining, but i think we should take the hit of complains then deal with the pain of technical issues
As someone that's had to fix the Prophunt pointshop many o' times before, it's pretty broken, but it's not THAT broken. I have no idea where this item vanishing stuff comes from aside from a few isolated cases. Now something that DEFINITELY has to be fixed is that one trick where you do the thing with the thing and stuff happens. Fish knows the one :)
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(05-11-2020, 08:07 PM)Forsaken Wrote: I think we can all agree that all the regulars by now know and understand that the point shop is an issue and are more than willing to to take the loss of items and skins for a better time within the game, and youre right theres always going to be people complaining, but i think we should take the hit of complains then deal with the pain of technical issues

Call me crazy, but I will take a handful of people complaining about technical issues over the entire community complaining about their sudden loss of items and points any day of the week.

Pointshop 2 is utter dogshit. We all know this, and there's nothing we can do about it.

(05-11-2020, 07:07 PM)Forsaken Wrote: I have a crazy idea, and it might not work but what if we remove the point shop for the time being and have a new one created by the community?

For the reasons stated above, and for the simple fact that nobody actually cares enough to try something like this, this is also a no from me.
I'd rather deal with the breaking of the shop rather than removing it. I know its a pain but its more of a pain to remove it, even for a short period of time and it would probably break even more doing so, then we are really in trouble. We are probably stuck with Points Shop 2 for a very long time unless someone takes a HUGE amount of effort making one for the needs of this community which isn't likely. It's not the first time we've had problems with PS2, won't be the last either.
Ex TTT Mod Dec 14, 2019 - Dec 14, 2019
Ex PH Mod April 14, 2019 - January 20, 2020
Ex PH Mod May 9, 2020 - May 27, 2022
Proud member of the RDMS
Ex Forum Admin May 6, 2022 - May 6, 2022
Former PH Map Editor

(05-11-2020, 07:24 PM)Forsaken Wrote:

My inventory is completely full and I really dont wanna go through the hassle of buying everything again or rearranging everything.

To be fair I would stick with the old shop
Ingame Names 
Sharky / [Red]Sharky / Hysender / Wizard
Apple a Day keeps Mother Nuru Away 
Resigned 
Deathrun - PropHunt - Murder Staff member
It's easier for not only the community, but Fish and dink, to leave things as they are until an alternative comes up.

Making a new one puts all the responsibility of things being redone on fish. He has enough on his plate as is.
I get your view on the suggestion, but I also know from experience, much unlike what you think, the community would rather have broken pointshop than no items. That would RUIN our playerbase. I've worked with a lot of these people for the last 2 years. People would rather have broken items, and models, than none at all.

And until we can find a viable replacement patience is giant must. Thanks for the suggestion though.