Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PH] Ghosting Rule Addition?
Hello fellow Prop Hunt players and Dinkleberg community members who are not really Prop Hunt players but will click on, scan through, read each statement carefully, possibly contribute, and/or not care about this issue, there was an item of ghosting that I brought up in the staff chat about a week ago and would like to have an open discussion with the subject with the rest of the community to gather their thoughts, ideas, and contributions all in one place.

The problem that occasionally happens, is when people find out that there are ghosters or hackers and use them to get kills. This can be seen in a way as ghosting. I am not talking about the daily group(s) of players who get on and 3rd party ghost in a discord voice call. That has always been an issue and will probably continue to be a problem as long as prop hunt exists. This particular issue is when a certain player, generally a regular, notices that people are ghosting or hacking(may or may not inform staff) and participate in the ghosting. They do this by following the ghosting pair or hacking individual around the map stealing the kills from the individuals that are ghosting or hacking. Yes, people who come on and ghost and/or hack are bad and can be generally handled within a short time period, but what about those who give themselves an unfair advantage over the other players who are playing fairly? They have done this getting in the way of staff gathering evidence of the ghosting/hacking that is taking place because they ghosters/hacker have not quite figured out where the hiding prop is completely but then a regular or meta prop hunt player comes in and steals the kill(s) before much, if any, useful evidence is gathered. The individual then acts as if they are playing regularly until the ghoster or hacker finds another prop, rinse and repeat. 

This has been an issue at more than one point in time and is generally done by regular players who have been around for awhile or by players who are now being categorized as META gamers where they take the simple game mode way too seriously. Such playing has provided additional rules already within the past year or so to try and make it fair for everyone. 

Such rules are:

Pixel hunting: where the prop hides only show a few pixels showing if only just a pixel showing and trying to justify its legality constantly. This has lead to a few props being highly criticized for being used due to their ability to be abused like the blue chair and knife or has caused some props to be banned on any map they are on like the telephone and muffler.

Jetpack rule (in illegal spots list): the player who uses a spot only reachable by a jet pack must remain killable by a person who does not have a jet pack and has only standard weapons

Kill Robbing (rule 16): this is when a prop player types kill in console or uses a kill bind to avoid getting killed right when a hunter finds them or because they did not reach their "perfect" spot. Several people started doing in even at the cost of their team losing the round so that the individual using the kill bind would have a higher chance of winning the map by not allowing the hunter to get a point or points in some cases when multiple people did the act

Now, people will always find a way to abuse the system and those particular cases can be handled individually in most cases. However, when several people start abusing in the same way, then we end up having to make a rule about it. The players who are ghosting with the ghosters are participating in ghosting to give themselves an unfair advantage and making a staff members job more difficult. Most of them will stop when you ask them, but some of them think since that they are not 3rd party ghosting technically with the group, that it does not apply to them and they do it anyways. This is where a rule and punishment system could be established.

This is NOT to be mistaken for people who are just good at the game or a particular map. Some players are just good and know where props are going to hide on some maps. This can make it more difficult to gather evidence of players ghosting but I refuse to punish people who are just playing the game. This is to specifically go after those who are ghosting with the ghosters.

If a person figures out a group is ghosting and then uses them to get kills, they have joined in on the ghosting. 
~Matt_St3 (Strongrule)
Yes that is your quote Matt, I liked the wording of it and have added it here.

I was just wondering what the community thinks about people who are ghosting with ghosters while not being actually a member of the group of ghosters and ideas on how to handle them moving towards the future.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
Matt: Ghosting is ghosting

New meme by fish

[Image: 40e53v.png]

Also I like this tbh myself. I know people are gunna bitch bc more rules, but this has been an increasing issue even while i was around regularly. I'm all for the rule addition, and for punishment suggestions
Warning
Slay
Kick
Ban

or possibly
Warning + slay
Kick
Ban

im a mean person and vote second option
Does it sound like a huge pain in the ass to actually catch in action? Yes. Does it sound like an even bigger pain in the ass to gather evidence for? Hell yes.

It sounds like it sucks a lot logistically, but if it DOES happen, staff should have the ability to punish for it as ghosting. Also, damn, people are REALLY getting desperate for that dopamine hit from killing props nowadays..
Honestly. I think this is perfect and I do believe it should be a warning/slay. That not only is you cheating, you're getting in the way of staff who trying to gather evidence to handle the situation. I am in full support of this.
[Image: b_560x95.png][Image: clapclub.jpg?width=1202&height=519]
aye aye captain ;p
[Image: giphy.gif]
I completely agree with this whole thing it’s completely unfair to us staff members who are trying to catch them ghosting when you are just partaking in their actions. I believe the punishment procedure as nuru presented is a great procedure I believe the warning+slay thing is great. I would like to see this implemented into the rules as this has been a huge issue for a while. Thank you for bringing this up
I may look calm but in my mind I just killed you three times

#SMOL SQUAD 2016-forever

Nicol Bolas
I have a question concerning the jetpack rule. Does this mean for spooky scary map players can no longer hide on the street side of the treehouse roof or the light post/electrical post all around the map?
So most props can be seen and killed on these from afar with the right weapons but newbies dont have those weapons.

Just wondering
[Image: drunk-possum.jpg]
MEEP.
STOP FUCKING PUSHING ME.

!p <username> warning

Slay/Forceswap (Forceswap would be how Trusted slay a player) Include secondary Warning !p <username>

Kick

24 Hour Ban

2 week Ban

Permanent 

I believe that MOST players will stop after the first warning, and those that don't deserve a slay anyway.
Not only I agree with this, but this would be a good rule to have. A lot of players do this for kills and to establish themselves on top. I've seen this happen before and I mean I used to do this as a regular when i first joined and noticed a hacker to troll them. From those experiences now as a staff I can see how annoying it is from this side. It halts a lot of the evidence grabbing process and it makes us sit there, ending up having to recorded the extra footage, not that having to record more is bad, but just a bit annoying when being intercepted. Regulars will also have no leeway in telling us that doing something like this isn't a rule, and we'll show them that it is if this is established.
I'm all for having this as a rule and I like Nuru's first punishment idea cause I think Triangle is right and that most will stop after a warning.
Ex TTT Mod Dec 14, 2019 - Dec 14, 2019
Ex PH Mod April 14, 2019 - January 20, 2020
Ex PH Mod May 9, 2020 - May 27, 2022
Proud member of the RDMS
Ex Forum Admin May 6, 2022 - May 6, 2022
Former PH Map Editor