Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TTT] Server Upgrade
Hello fellow TTT homies! I know I just arrived, but since coming back to TTT, I have heard many people discuss the quality of the server. I haven't a clue what technical specs produce a great server, but I was hoping to start this thread so that others who do, can exchange thoughts and solutions toward improving the Dink's TTT server.

I know not everyone is looking to spend money on GMOD in 2020, but if there are solutions that require an increase in operational expenses they should be heard. These conversations need to be had if we want to make the opportunity more appealing to Dinkleberg and the rest of the leadership of our community. . . especially with the recent craziness that has thrown off the usual rhythm of life.

I plan to be here for a good time and a long time. Please bring your best so that a better server can be possible!

Thank for your time homies!
This server, as far as I know, uses NFO server hosting. It's pretty close to the top of the line when it comes to DDoS protection, network uplink and actual processing power.

A lot of performance issues come down to this game being well over a decade old and not exactly constructed to a high fidelity, which isn't something that can be easily fixed unless you hire an army of programmers to fine tune your server.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
People also gotta remember saying things like add this, fix that, and upgrade this is easy. We have 1 person who can do all this and you gotta respect some of the demand that person our owner takes everyday. Things won't always change immediately, if things work they work. I know this is a giant topic, but just wanted to point out that our owner is a human too. Dinks is fine the way it is currently. Very playable to people who have potatoes like me.

Don't worry dink will upgrade dink's servers when gmod 2 comes out.
(05-17-2020, 06:09 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: This server, as far as I know, uses NFO server hosting. It's pretty close to the top of the line when it comes to DDoS protection, network uplink and actual processing power.

A lot of performance issues come down to this game being well over a decade old and not exactly constructed to a high fidelity, which isn't something that can be easily fixed unless you hire an army of programmers to fine tune your server.

Yeah this is about right. Me and Dink have been actively looking at solutions to performance issues but it's a lot of work. I'm really only qualified (if you can call it that?) for TTT issues and we have 4 servers. It's an issue we want to fix as much as possible and look for solutions everyday. Don't worry guys.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(05-17-2020, 06:09 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: This server, as far as I know, uses NFO server hosting. It's pretty close to the top of the line when it comes to DDoS protection, network uplink and actual processing power.

Thank you for the overview of the current server. Very useful for someone like myself.

Thoughts:
-What type of programming are we talking? I took a few language classes in college but I would not be opposed to trying to learn up on what the TTT server requires for fine tuning.

-Are there companies that do this sort of fine tuning? That way you don't have to rely on the community to produce the fixes?

(05-17-2020, 06:13 PM)Abdel Wrote: People also gotta remember saying things like add this, fix that, and upgrade this is easy. We have 1 person who can do all this and you gotta respect some of the demand that person our owner takes everyday. Things won't always change immediately, if things work they work. I know this is a giant topic, but just wanted to point out that our owner is a human too. Dinks is fine the way it is currently. Very playable to people who have potatoes like me.

Don't worry dink will upgrade dink's servers when gmod 2 comes out.
I don't want this thread to be interpreted as me bitching at leadership. This is simply my way of educating myself on the topic so I can try to make a difference. Immediate change is not probable or logical. But, sitting around relying on Dink and Nicol to do everything is just as selfish as simply demanding it be fixed.

I have no doubt about that! Thanks for replying btw :)
(05-17-2020, 06:49 PM)Pencilvestro Wrote:

Thank you for the overview of the current server. Very useful for someone like myself.

Thoughts:
-What type of programming are we talking? I took a few language classes in college but I would not be opposed to trying to learn up on what the TTT server requires for fine tuning.

-Are there companies that do this sort of fine tuning? That way you don't have to rely on the community to produce the fixes?

Lua coding as Gmod uses Lua however access to back-end files are limited to 2 people right now. And no there aren't really companies that do it. We're just working on performance issues the best we can.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(05-17-2020, 06:58 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 06:49 PM)Pencilvestro Wrote:

Thoughts:

Lua coding as Gmod uses Lua however access to back-end files are limited to 2 people right now. And no there aren't really companies that do it. We're just working on performance issues the best we can.

Roger that. Thanks for the transparency.
(05-17-2020, 06:17 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:

Yeah this is about right. Me and Dink have been actively looking at solutions to performance issues but it's a lot of work. I'm really only qualified (if you can call it that?) for TTT issues and we have 4 servers. It's an issue we want to fix as much as possible and look for solutions everyday. Don't worry guys.

For the uneducated plebs out there like me, what type of performance issues are people talking about? Everything seems fine to me, but I'm no pro-gamer so what do I know Shy
Respect your elders
(05-27-2020, 05:03 PM)Jaerixon Wrote: For the uneducated plebs out there like me, what type of performance issues are people talking about? Everything seems fine to me, but I'm no pro-gamer so what do I know Shy
Shitreg is a symptom of the issues.
[Image: phzdad0ules31.jpg]
(05-28-2020, 10:16 PM)Saitama Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 05:03 PM)Jaerixon Wrote: For the uneducated plebs out there like me, what type of performance issues are people talking about? Everything seems fine to me, but I'm no pro-gamer so what do I know Shy
Shitreg is a symptom of the issues.

That's just this game being garbage actually
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide