Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk Coffee
Alright, DISCUSSION TIME:

Do you prefer your coffee hot or iced?

For me, I prefer it hot because it's what I grew up on. Iced coffee, at least from my experiences, just tastes more bitter than the hot coffee I make at home. 

Another thing to consider is whether  you drink it black or add milk or cream/sugar/coffee creamer to it. Something I've noticed is usually the people who drink iced coffee are drinking it in a ratio of 80-20, in favor of the creamer, but this isn't always true. 

For me, I drink somewhere along the lines of a  60-40 ratio, as I just put creamer or milk in it to cool it down enough so it doesn't scald the roof of my mouth and my tongue.

And one more thing: what's your go to brand if you do drink coffee?

For me, anything Gevalia puts out is really good, especially for the price. They're a Scandinavian brand, in fact, they're the largest coffee roastery in their area. Anything you get from them in terms of ground/whole bean coffee will most likely please you. They have roasts ranging from Mild to Bold, and I've had quite a bit of their selection. From my experience of what I've tasted so far, their best Dark roast is the Costa Rica blend. Their best Medium is a very close choice between the Columbian or Guatemala blends, but I'd give it to the Guatemala because the grounds are coarse, meaning you can brew it via a French press or a drip brewer. Their dark roasts are very strong but don't sacrifice richness for flavor. The French Roast they have will definitely wake you up, that's for sure. In case you're not aware, the darker the roast (longer it's been cooked), the less caffeine it has, BUT in exchange for that you have more coffee flavor.  The two bold roast options that I've had from them, Majestic and Dark Gold, practically taste the same to me but they're both good options if you want a low amount of caffeine without going decaf. 

Obviously, the big name brands like Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts put out good coffee. However, there is one big name coffee brand that in my opinion, is complete and utter trash. Starbucks has possibly the worst coffee blends I have had the misfortune of tasting. For me, the aftertaste of the coffee is what kills it. Their Pike roast is the only tolerable one, anything else leaves the most bitter aftertaste imaginable. In my opinion, you should ONLY go to Starbucks for specialty drinks, not basic coffee. 

Another Coffee Brand that I recently tried out is Caribou. They're pricey, about $10 for a 12 oz bag, but that is because they ship it out in small batches, which means they only ship about 500 bags across the country at a time. They're a coffee shop based in Minnesota, and their medium roast I've got is good. It's a little bit of a bolder taste in comparison to the other coffees that I've talked about in terms of their medium roasts, but it's super good. In my opinion, I'd buy the whole bean coffee and grind it; it's a little messier but it's worth it. 

The best budget coffee is Folgers. Folgers can get you a good roast and a lot of it for cheap. You can get 30.5 oz of it for $7 if you shop at the right place, and the coffee tastes good. 

The best all around coffee I've had in terms of balancing PRICE AND AMOUNT YOU'RE GETTING is Gevalia by far. You can get a 12 oz bag for $7, and that lasts you a long time too, even if you drink a lot. Just for reference to prove that, I would brew coffee from one of these bags twice every single day, and it lasted me 3 months. I was making coffee for 8 people to drink at one time so I wasn't always just brewing for myself. Also, no matter which way you go in terms of a blend, the coffee is always super rich and never leaves a bitter aftertaste in your mouth (If you make it right).

In terms of the way to have a best cup of coffee, what I can say is that grinding fresh beans is better than buying pre-ground beans of coffee; however, for the average person, I don't think it's worth the time or effort to try and get a grinder and grind the beans every time you want coffee. In terms of what's better between a French press, drip, or other types of brewers, I can't really tell a difference between them due to lack of experience of trying it (I've only had French pressed coffee once and my friend didn't do a perfect job but it was super good.). I use a Drip brewer primarily. No matter which way you make it, if it's done right you're going to have a great cup of coffee. You have to make it right though if you even want a remotely good cup of coffee. The hardest part is to balance between how much coffee you should put in relation to how much water you use. For me, if you're making 6-8 cups of coffee, 6 T (tablespoons) of coffee is perfect. If you're making 10-12, I'd add 2 or 4 T of coffee to it. I use a 2 T cup to scoop my coffee and put it into the filter in case you're curious. 

Alright, that's about all I can think of about coffee. If you can't tell, I'm kind of an addict.
I prefer hot chocolate but if I have to choose one I like a good frozen chocolate chip cookie coffee from Biggby
When I drank coffee it was black and usually from a truck stop. 

Though the last time I had coffee was around 15 years ago. 

Now I drink warm cider under the stars when I can.
coffee + whiskey YAHHH!
(08-10-2020, 10:17 AM)The Triangle Wrote: When I drank coffee it was black and usually from a truck stop. 

Though the last time I had coffee was around 15 years ago. 

Now I drink warm cider under the stars when I can.

Old.
Do you prefer your coffee hot or iced?
I prefer it cold or iced.
I cant sadly drink hot drinks because I tend to burn my tongue easy and I can't tell until it's actually badly burnt since I lost some of my senses. 
I am that weirdo that leaves hot coffee or tea out until its for sure cold. Still tastes good and I'm used to it at this point. 

Another thing to consider is whether you drink it black or add milk or cream/sugar/coffee creamer to it. 
I like milk instead of creamer if I put anything in my coffee and I don't use much sugar. The coffee to milk ratio I use is about 90-10.
I have been drinking more Turkish coffee recently though. I don't put any sugar or creamer if I drink Turkish coffee.     

And one more thing: what's your go to brand if you do drink coffee?
I don't typically buy well known brands since the coffee I get is locally sourced and domestic sourced beans from a coffee shop I go to around my area except the Turkish coffee. I have to go to a global market food place for me to find that. In some cases I have family overseas that send me Turkish coffee.
[Image: s1bMrsR.png]
[Image: l4704yy.png]
I only take it black and hot, none of this iced coffee. And I'm a cheap bitch so it's 99 cent Cumberland Farms coffee but I like it. Great pick me up in winter plowing the roads.
Ex TTT Mod Dec 14, 2019 - Dec 14, 2019
Ex PH Mod April 14, 2019 - January 20, 2020
Ex PH Mod May 9, 2020 - May 27, 2022
Proud member of the RDMS
Ex Forum Admin May 6, 2022 - May 6, 2022
Former PH Map Editor

Black iced coffee and always local
Go away
For me, Local shops are nice but sometimes their roasts are little too bitter for me, so I just prefer making it at home. It also doesn't help that most of them closed due to COVID either :(

Also, Turkish coffee seems like it's an interesting way to make it. I find it funny that it originated in Yemen despite the name, but that makes sense considering that Arabica coffee originated from Yemen before being taken to other locations of the world.
dr pepper