shayes unban request
I'm going to go ahead and take some of the blame for this unpleasant result.

I am on the server quite frequently with Shaye, and if I'm completely honest, I can maybe think of one time where I have gagged Shaye and I can't even remember the reason.

(09-29-2020, 03:16 AM)⋆ Fx ⋆ Wrote: There are a lot more toxic people on the server than shaye but they get away with it. As Stuppidy said There is no consistency and it is frustrating. Its the inconsistency that make people say ASAB (yes I realize people say it to troll too) or make people just up and leave. 

+1 to a revision of the rules and punishments for said rules and for every staff to punish for said rules equally and not be wishy washy.

What FX mentioned in a previous post is great in theory. But in reality, it simply doesn't work. No amount of extra procedural guidance through updated rules and punishment codes are going to change things in any substantive manner.

I don't disagree that there is inconsistency with what I will just clump together as "moderating" on the server. But each staff member is a separate individual, not a robot coded to moderate exactly the same.

For example, I tend to be pretty tolerant and would likely define mic spam differently than other staff members. While some staff members might gag after the first bonk, I will verbally warn said player if I believe it's getting excessive or disrupting gameplay. Now I suppose we could try to define micspam (which has been attempted), but it's always going to be a judgment call for the staff member on what will constitute a "disruption" or "excessive." It's based on individual tolerance, professional judgment, and even things going beyond the objective a staff member's mood or past experience with the malfeasant.

And let me return to the issue at hand, Shaye's unban.

When I have been on with Shaye, I have not found his behavior to be "excessive" or reaching a level which would constitute a "disruption." As a result, I have hardly doled out punishments to him in the forms of gags or mutes. This, in turn, may have created a situation where Shaye believed his actions to be within the scope of the accepted behavior on the server. And that's on me for, I suppose, "leading him on."

I was, of course, myself unaware that his behavior was considered to be so outside the scope of accepted behavior, however, that it would result in a week long ban. If I was aware, I probably would have pm'ed him on Discord to let him know that he should cool it down a little. However, there arises another issue, walking the thin line of giving a casual warning which might be brushed off or "leaking staff chat" by emphasizing the importance of adjusting one's behavior to avoid the threat of a ban.

Now I suppose that the day long ban was thought to have put Shaye "on notice" for his behavior. I am not sure what the warning was that was given to Shaye, however, and the level of detail that it may have included. Because of this lack of information at present, I will not speak further on this point.

I believe that the underlying behavior that resulted in Shaye's ultimate ban was the repeated use of the phrase "ASAB" in both verbal and text chat. I generally just ignore this phrase when it comes up, whether that be from Shaye or other individuals. To me, it's clearly a joke and a play on the phrase "ACAB" that emerged over the summer in response to policing issues in POC communities. I suppose that it could be construed as disrespectful to staff, and that's certainly a reasonable interpretation based on what that acronym stands for. As a staff member myself, I care less about others respecting me and more so about them respecting other players. I can handle any virtual insult hurled at me, and the only respect I ask for is that when I hand out a gag/mute/slay that my decision will be accepted as proper result.

Now to the other issues in the unban. Unmuting/ungagging oneself when given said punishment by a staff member is clearly wrong. I may have missed the unmute that you mentioned, but the proper solution would have been to just send a message in admin chat if it seemed like I had forgotten. I believe the !donate page mentions this, but there are donor guidelines which do state that donors are not to be unmuting/ungagging themselves.

In sum, I believe that there was an abuse of donor here. I do not believe the toxicity ban is justified. I do not believe a week ban for abuse of donor is appropriate. There might need to be better communication between an individual on the verge of a "toxicity" ban and upper staff to ensure that the individual is adequately aware of the risks that are associated with the continuance of certain behavior.

Messages In This Thread
RE: shayes unban request - by Battons - 09-29-2020, 12:24 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by BuZZ - 09-29-2020, 12:43 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by two rats kissing - 09-29-2020, 12:57 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by ⋆ Fx ⋆ - 09-29-2020, 01:01 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by ding - 09-29-2020, 01:23 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by stuppidy #FreeWify - 09-29-2020, 02:37 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Cactus - 09-29-2020, 08:18 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Battons - 09-29-2020, 09:07 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Raider Hanks - 09-29-2020, 09:35 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Cactus - 09-29-2020, 09:54 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca De La Ley - 09-29-2020, 09:43 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by ding - 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by ding - 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by Knee Coal Bowlass - 09-29-2020, 12:23 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by BuZZ - 09-29-2020, 06:56 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by stuppidy #FreeWify - 09-29-2020, 06:58 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by Knee Coal Bowlass - 09-29-2020, 08:25 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by §bKiwi The Fruit - 09-29-2020, 09:41 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by NUKE HORSE - 09-29-2020, 11:48 PM
RE: shayes unban request - by ⋆ Fx ⋆ - 09-30-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Jammin - 10-01-2020, 02:49 AM
RE: shayes unban request - by Knee Coal Bowlass - 10-01-2020, 03:30 PM