Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preposal for Referendum Regarding the Regulation of Communication Between Gamers
Friends, moderators, gamers, lend me your ear. I came to these lands a wandering vegabond, and by the ruling elites I was banished to wear that frock once more. I have walked amongst people in all hours of the day, of all walks of life, spoken to them and heard their grievances, their praises, their hopes and their dreams. I have seen the rise and fall of civilizations great and minor, eagle and sparrow; the strangulation of all vestiges of liberty as the chains of autocracy draw ever tighter. I tell ye this be not the first realm which I have seen gripped by the great disorder; that omnipotent force which comes for all servers in the end. And I come bearing a plea for truth, a plea for the common man, the uncolored name whom is afforded no power, no say in the grand plays of their unseen overlords. But my concern is not just for the game player with thirty minutes to waste; my solution should be a source of great relief to the tired, hard working, friendly and helpful moderation team with whom we are all so well acquainted.

I propose we conduct a referendum, open to all walks of Dinkelberger life. Two options will be presented, one to maintain the rules as they are and one to establish the protections of speech for the people by removing all speech and communication related clauses in rule no. six. In order to afford time for response from certain staff members and other important community figures who are only seen once a month, the polling period shall be open for no less than thirty (30) days, thus ensuring this drastic change does not fly by them without their input. A decision could be made on the community level by the community itself, and would therefore erase all doubts as to the legitimacy of the aforementioned clauses, regardless of whether it passes or not. My arguments in favor of the passing of the vote are twofold. First, with the encouragement of players to familiarize themselves with the clientside mute function, individuals would be able to selectively ignore certain gamers to which whose communiques they take affrontatiously, thus rendering the server to a more friendly and civil state as gamers choose their engagements more selectively. Second, moderators would have a much smaller workload and therefore far less stressful time, and we as a community would not suffer the tumultuous disruptions brought about by the conflicts in the moderator class which we have sadly borne witness too so frequently throughout the server's history.

In regard to use of clientside mute, I believe this function is currently undervalued in the community's collective consciousness. The power to engage is within our own hands, and when presented with content which we as individuals find objectionable, rather than escalate it into a penal matter requiring an appointed judicator, we could instead make the choice not to engage in topics with which we have no interest, or find distasteful, without impeding the participation by willing members of the server to engage in such content. It is my hope that bringing this feature back to the forefront of the server zeitgeist will encourage civility by promoting the idea that instead of participating in frictionous argument, players can alternatively make the conscious and responsible decision to ignore that which they perceive to be base and immature, leading to a more harmonious existence between community members and bringing us one step closer to the dream of gamer utopia.
Where the pressures of staff are concerned, after taking my own measurements of community policing I have determined that approximately 62% of staff activity is disrupted to the effect of controlling untoward speech. As we have seen over the past few months, and even across the years of the Dinkleberg saga, the staff frequently grow overwhelmed to the point which they are forced to vent their frustrations in the forum threads where they vent their disdain for their subjects, and even throw away their titles in dismay. With the reduction of their responsibility in regard to controlling communication to an advisory role, simply reminding community memebers that the clientside mute function works as necessary, I believe their stressful workload may be alleviated greatly, not only making their direct jobs easier but allowing them to more promptly handle disruptions to the game like Random Death Matches and targeting. This will in turn improve the players' attitudes toward the staff, as otherwise rule abiding players will no longer be targets of punitive action and forces who choose to undermine the structure of the game can be taken care of in 1 round or less, rather than the usual 3-5 rounds of unpunished mayhem that is standard for much of the day.

Of course, some unscrupulous characters could take advantage of this change in the rules, abusing the opportunity to act immature on the internet. However, considering that players would be empowered to ignore undesirable interactions with baser players, I personally believe the benefits of such a change would outweigh potential costs. Besides, as I said even if it doesn't pass it would finally give some player input into what words are allowed and not allowed in the video game server, rather than the current state which many players express that they feel that the game is commanded by an untouchable league of power brokers pulling strings in secretive chats away from the cleansing eye of the community at large. I think we are so much better than that, and that's why I want to help tear down this perception with a player driven referendum on a hotly contested matter. Pass or fail, I believe a democratic vote on the matter is just what we need to help resolve this issue once and for all.
the only sneaven ill be sent to... iis when ill be snalone with you
[Image: xLQeam1.jpg]
[Image: 6db.jpg]
this is the realest post on the forum
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Provides individuals free reign to throw slurs around and harass people to the point that bystanders no longer want to join server.

***Can't hear call outs due to people being muted > RDMs increase due to lack of information being spread > Reports increase due to people using "i had them muted" as an excuse.

If someone joins to a server full of screaming retards claiming "muh free speech referendum," they damn well aren't returning.

Rule 6 involves flaming, harassment and trolling directly. You want to give people free reign to make the game a modern warfare lobby?
[Image: gYIxK93.png]
(03-05-2021, 08:00 PM)Raider Hanks Wrote: Provides individuals free reign to throw slurs around and harass people to the point that bystanders no longer want to join server.

***Can't hear call outs due to people being muted > RDMs increase due to lack of information being spread > Reports increase due to people using "i had them muted" as an excuse.

If someone joins to a server full of screaming retards claiming "muh free speech referendum," they damn well aren't returning.
Thank you for your constructive input, assuming the council allows the institution of a popular vote model I'm certain it would draw fair support against the passing of this proposed rule change.

(03-05-2021, 08:00 PM)Raider Hanks Wrote: Rule 6 involves flaming, harassment and trolling directly. You want to give people free reign to make the game a modern warfare lobby?
If the people would freely elect to do so, then I personally see nothing wrong with it. However, if the majority opinion is against it then they would be able to express such in the vote.
While I applaud you for making this post since it could work in some game modes maybe. It just couldn’t work in ttt. Which revolves around communication. Honestly it would be more hassle then it’s worth since communication is such a key part of the game mode.
(03-05-2021, 08:13 PM)JesseTheUndeadCowboy Wrote: While I applaud you for making this post since it could work in some game modes maybe. It just couldn’t work in ttt. Which revolves around communication. Honestly it would be more hassle then it’s worth since communication is such a key part of the game mode.
I disagree, I think that should a bad actor become isolated from the rest of the server it would be their own fault and they would be liable for the consequences. Any misunderstandings involving a lack of communication would be one of the responsibilities the staff would exchange for this clause. In addition, text chat is always an integral part of any Trouble in Terrorist Town round. However, that would be a good point to raise in the case of an actual referendum.
the dinkleberg's parliamentarian has ruled this referendum out of order please try again never
Encouraging people to use client-side mute has pros that arguably outweigh the cons.

Pros:

-Less meaningless gags and warnings that do nothing but showcase a flex of power
-Allows the game to return to what they should be; fun. Gags can sometimes turn Garry's Mod into online daycare rather than a game, causing unneeded tension/e-drama
-Encourages people to fix issues themselves through the action of muting rather than crying for help. It helps promote individualism rather than being a slave to the authority figures.

Cons: 

-Potential for more RDM
-The annoying situation of when people who have each other muted talk at the same time constantly
-In some people's eyes, MW2 lobbies are bad and not funny. 

Sadly though, rather than actually reading what you're saying, I can guarantee you that people are just seeing it's you that posted it and are like "oh look it's that stupid idiot making a post" and proceed to have a biased opinion against it. 

This is something that is promising Mr. Shitter; however, I have doubts that this logic will be received positively by everyone.
An interesting suggestion and in an ideal world I think it could work well, however in practice people in not just this community but TTT as a whole have been conditioned that staff will silence undesirable chat both vocal and text. It would be a cool experiment but unfortunately that's probably all it would be.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
(03-05-2021, 09:08 PM)David Wrote: Encouraging people to use client-side mute has pros that arguably outweigh the cons.

Pros:

-Less meaningless gags and warnings that do nothing but showcase a flex of power
-Allows the game to return to what they should be; fun. Gags can sometimes turn Garry's Mod into online daycare rather than a game, causing unneeded tension/e-drama
-Encourages people to fix issues themselves through the action of muting rather than crying for help. It helps promote individualism rather than being a slave to the authority figures.

Cons: 

-Potential for more RDM
-The annoying situation of when people who have each other muted talk at the same time constantly
-In some people's eyes, MW2 lobbies are bad and not funny. 

Sadly though, rather than actually reading what you're saying, I can guarantee you that people are just seeing it's you that posted it and are like "oh look it's that stupid idiot making a post" and proceed to have a biased opinion against it. 

This is something that is promising Mr. Shitter; however, I have doubts that this logic will be received positively by everyone.
Opening the doors for player driven referendums is the most important part of this suggestion, in my opinion. This is the issue with which I am most concerned and thus want addressed first.
(03-05-2021, 09:08 PM)Battons Wrote: An interesting suggestion and in an ideal world I think it could work well, however in practice people in not just this community but TTT as a whole have been conditioned that staff will silence undesirable chat both vocal and text. It would be a cool experiment but unfortunately that's probably all it would be.
I think it's a necessary step to move away from the obsession with the bogeyman of toxicity. I've seen an alarming trend since the advent of Overwatch and LoL mainstream play that discounts banter and general foolishness as 'toxic' that has since become the norm for many of the more highly structured video games, and a departure from the old standard of choosing not to engage if one so desires. I think this is the right direction for us to take.