Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addressing Transparency in Unresigning
Apparently, I'm in the minority here.

I don't see what the big deal is about unresigning, provided that certain criteria are met.
--They were a competent and capable staff member
--They resigned peacefully
--They remained active in the community
--The temporal distance between date of resignation and request to unresign is relatively short

I don't see why we should go out of our way to make it more difficult for good staff members to return. Besides, it's really not all that different from an inactive staff member returning to staff actively again. They both might be a little rusty, but they have their past experience to go off of and are always welcome to ask the other staff questions. 

Plus, as you already mentioned, sometimes these "resigned" staff members maintain their rank in the server for months afterward. This means that it remains a bit of an open question regarding whether someone can really be considered "resigned" or not when there isn't much to reflect that status. 

An official policy "for the sake of transparency." I already know that Gabe is satirizing matters here, but I'll go ahead and bite. 

Is there even an official policy?
--Admins would not be able to establish an official policy. The admins do not own this server and Dink retains the ability to decide who he wants to allow unresign as he deems fit. That being said, admins may retain a limited ability to permit unresignations. Whether they choose to exercise this ability is a server-dependent question. As the Murder admin, I would potentially allow for an unresignation provided the criteria I provided above were met. 

Can staff come back as they please after they resign?
--No

Do ranks still take months to be taken away even after the person responsible for removing them has been notified several times? If so, does this present a challenge to having an official policy?
--Sometimes. There is not an official policy across all servers, nor would one likely be feasible. 

Are they not allowed to instantly obtain their old rank back? Do they have to start at the bottom of the ladder?
--From what I have witnessed thus far, staff members that unresign within a short period of time are permitted to retain the rank they had prior to resignation. If the temporal distance was significant, you would need to start from Trusted once again. 

Can resigned admins hand on their resignation of their resignation?
--This sentence doesn't make sense and I will not answer it. 

Do they have to request a formal meeting with Dinkelberg?
--I don't believe so.

Is it like the military where there is active and reserve duty?
--Inactive staff and active staff

Fill out a form?
--I really don't think that's necessary. 

Admin vote?
--There is currently no more than one admin per server. It doesn't make sense for a Murder admin to be directly voting on who can be a part of the PH staff, whether that be for applications or unresignations. 

As you can see there are many possible answers here, but which is the right one? This topic demands transparency for the sake of old staff, new staff, and the community at large.
--The answer is "it depends."

I retired from the position of TTT Moderator at the end of 2015. When I decided to return and wanted to rejoin the TTT staff team in August 2017, I posted an application for Trusted. I think anything over 3 months is too long to decide to unresign, unless there are especially compelling reasons. 

I technically stepped down from PH Admin ~2 years ago. I still retain the rank in the server. I have been able to use the rank to help the current staff team moderate the server - gagging and muting the racists, weird noise-makers, and screamers. More significantly, I was able to use the rank to institute a couple of bans that only admins are normally able to do. 

In December this past year, I made a misplaced resignation thread on the forums, with the resignation to take effect on Dec 31st. My rank in-game was changed to Donor+ at some point later on. I decided I didn't like Donor+ and wanted to return to Moderator on TTT. I asked Dink if I could unresign on Jan 28th - he said yes. 

I believe I met the criteria I provided earlier:
--I was, and remain an excellent TTT Moderator
--I resigned peacefully, though my thread was a bit negative it did not "call anyone out" or anything foolish like that
--I remained active in the community. In fact, I never even left the staff discord server after "resignation" as I continued to help out with Murder. 
--The amount of time between my "resignation" and my request to unresign was less than a month.

Messages In This Thread
Addressing Transparency in Unresigning - by Gabe - 03-11-2021, 08:03 AM
RE: Addressing Transparency in Unresigning - by David - 03-11-2021, 10:21 AM
RE: Addressing Transparency in Unresigning - by Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca De La Ley - 03-11-2021, 01:28 PM