Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obtain better vpn protection, and not perm ban the first ban.
Here's my suggestions:

1.) Do not perm ban on the first banishment

So, I rdmed people over several rounds under the name bspennington1 (I think I had three reports against me that were not forgiven). The response was to perm ban me, instead of banning me for 2 days - 1 week like other servers normally would do. In addition, a donor forgave their report against me because a mod gave them a non-descriptive warning (in their words, the comment was "."). I feel you guys should get your moderation processes figured out so more people would feel more comfortable playing (and maybe win over some rdmers with grace). I did rejoin as my main letting the admins know of this hole, just to immediately be banned. Of course I do not expect to be unbanned, but a common progressive ban system would be most efficient within these circumstances as rdming 3 people over several rounds (granted they were warned via autoslays) in my opinion does not warrant a permanent ban.

2.) Outdated vpn blocking protection

If you did have any vpn blocking, I was able to bypass it. I'd recommend researching ways to find custom vpn servers hosted in the cloud, as I could always just start another virtual machine with open vpn running, and re-connect under a new account with gmod borrowed. I don't intend on doing that on a massive scale as obviously I did not have a willing interest to continuously play your server.
oo I like this thread
You're absolutely right, we should not ban permanently for mass RDM on first offense. I think it is very stupid. I explain why here and here.

For VPN blocking, eh..  I don't see the point, We don't ban by IP often enough to make it that useful. In the situations where we DO ban by IP it would make evading the IP ban slightly harder, but it would also inconvenience people who use a VPN for other reasons.

If we did want VPN blocking it would be easy to set up (in theory). You would just have to pull in a IP address database like this one and block all data center IP ranges from connecting with the server firewall utility.

(FYI, bans are steamid based, not IP based)
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
ok
[Image: xdjlve.png]
So you were constantly RDMing despite knowing thats against the rules and then booted up an alt which also goes against our rules and now your complaining on the forums instead of apologizing thinking that would accomplish what exactly? 
We are not other servers we do not follow their rules.
Also if you think your smart by using a VPN then maybe you should not family share gmod across your accounts which makes it infinitely easier to track your alts.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
(04-04-2021, 09:45 PM)Battons Wrote: So you were constantly RDMing despite knowing thats against the rules and then booted up an alt which also goes against our rules and now your complaining on the forums instead of apologizing thinking that would accomplish what exactly? 
We are not other servers we do not follow their rules.
Also if you think your smart by using a VPN then maybe you should not family share gmod across your accounts which makes it infinitely easier to track your alts.

I'm not going to degrade myself by begging for mercy and apologizing, and I clarified I deserve to be banned for some time period, rather it be two days to a month, etc. I am simply providing feedback to make your server more sustainable in the future as mass rdm definately isn't as bad as other offenses, and alt evasion proof. You can take the feedback as constructive criticism, or you can handle this immaturely and try to cut me down. Either way, I have a server I actually like playing.
But you just said you did constant rdm. Mass rdm is a little bit different then constant rdm. Oh wait nvm I just reread and it looks like you said you did both?
ok lol
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(04-05-2021, 06:38 PM)JesseTheUndeadCowboy Wrote: But you just said you did constant rdm. Mass rdm is a little bit different then constant rdm. Oh wait nvm I just reread and it looks like you said you did both?

In all honesty, but in all honesty a perm ban doesn't really fit the crime comparatively. Honing in on the perm ban for mass rdm doesn't really make sense when you are competing with other servers.
You could've appealed the ban and been unbanned but, you chose to activate our trap card and alt evaded lol
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]
(04-04-2021, 09:34 PM)ttyyuu12345 Wrote: Here's my suggestions:

1.) Do not perm ban on the first banishment

So, I rdmed people over several rounds under the name bspennington1 (I think I had three reports against me that were not forgiven). The response was to perm ban me, instead of banning me for 2 days - 1 week like other servers normally would do. In addition, a donor forgave their report against me because a mod gave them a non-descriptive warning (in their words, the comment was "."). I feel you guys should get your moderation processes figured out so more people would feel more comfortable playing (and maybe win over some rdmers with grace). I did rejoin as my main letting the admins know of this hole, just to immediately be banned. Of course I do not expect to be unbanned, but a common progressive ban system would be most efficient within these circumstances as rdming 3 people over several rounds (granted they were warned via autoslays) in my opinion does not warrant a permanent ban.

2.) Outdated vpn blocking protection

If you did have any vpn blocking, I was able to bypass it. I'd recommend researching ways to find custom vpn servers hosted in the cloud, as I could always just start another virtual machine with open vpn running, and re-connect under a new account with gmod borrowed. I don't intend on doing that on a massive scale as obviously I did not have a willing interest to continuously play your server.

i'm still confused as to why you wasted time making this thread; did you actually think anyone would listen to you? They wouldn't even listen to admins in the past on ideas of change, so even if you do have good points (which I think you do), they're not going to change anything as that's too much work lol; maybe that'll change someday but for now... it's hopeless.