Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jump pack thread - series 3040
Its time for the Bi-Yearly remove jump pack thread (Thayr edition).
While most of the Jump Pack threads focus only on the exploits, I'm going to go over all the ways it fucks up the game.

Maps.
  • Every single TTT map in the history of the entire 15 year lifespan of the game has been designed with the thought that players wouldn't be able to jump 30ft forward in a single leap. The jump pack ruins the flow and design of most maps by creating alternate routes, jumps, and paths that shouldn't exist; this makes maps feel too similar by erasing factors that make each map unique.
Balance.
  • Jump packs are a necessity. Being able to move 2 to 3 times faster without any downsides gives far too much of an advantage against anyone not using it; this coupled with its moderately expensive price point of 100k points turns most new players into just spectator until they can afford or are given one.
  • Jump packs ruin weapon balance by shifting greatly towards fast firing close range weapons. When fighting against someone with an m16 for instance, if he has the range advantage, all you have to do is use your jump pack to get in point blank range in the span of like 3 seconds. The additional speed also makes it way harder to hit someone rapidly moving up and down and back forth with a slow firing accurate weapon, as compared to a fast firing inaccurate weapon.
Exploits.
  • You can jump into ceilings, eliminating your head hitbox and fucking over anyone using headshot focused weapons. If youre fighting against someone head jumping and you aren't, you are going to lose that fight.
  • The Jump Pack is what makes grapple exploiting possible.
  • You can use the jump pack to spider crawl up steep walls and reach areas you aren't supposed to.

The sun smiles at you with eternal malice
get rid of it yesyesyes

this message was brought to you in part by the #nojumppackgang

only nerds use the shitpack
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
I don't know how many times suggested so far.

PS2 loves the jump pack and makes it impossible to remove it from the addon. Dr removed jumpack  and remove it from every person’s inventory you can find. I can't imagine how it will be at TTT .I may be wrong. I hope there's a solution.

#nojumpackgang
I'd prefer to play without the jump pack but I also don't mind it that much now that I'm used to it. I remember when I first started playing on this server a few months ago though, I really didn't like it.
+1.
Remove the jetpack and you will basically solve some of the servers problems. Like jumping in the ceiling for instance. 1+ to this.
(07-27-2021, 08:36 PM)Thayr Wrote: Jump packs are a necessity. Being able to move 2 to 3 times faster without any downsides gives far too much of an advantage against anyone not using it; this coupled with its moderately expensive price point of 100k points turns most new players into just spectator until they can afford or are given one.

If I may interject, this problem is the same on Prop Hunt - almost to a worse degree because that gamemode is entirely based on where you can get to hide..people on props without a jump pack are toast pretty much instantly. Nobody really cares because it's just prophunt.. but still annoying

Now for TTT, there have been so many damn problems with the jump pack over the years it's ridiculous. The crouch jumping your head into the ceiling should have been the end of the story as soon as it was found.. yet we trudged forward just letting it happen, even with the COUNTLESS threads over the years detailing the exact problem. It's time to remove the thing.

If the jump pack gets removed though, something that gets old really fast is having the jump height of my 80 year old grandmother with Garry's Mod default gravity. I personally don't enjoy feeling like I'm glued to the floor everywhere I go, so reducing the default value of sv_gravity from 600 to maybe 450 or so would make playing the game feel a lot better without adding a ton of jump height like the jump pack does.
Please
but jump pack fun :(

but also fuck ceiling glitchers
(07-28-2021, 02:24 AM)ratty Wrote: but jump pack fun :(
^^^

I agree removing the jumppack makes sense from a competitive standpoint. But at least for me, I don't play TTT to be competitive - I play it to have fun.
I'd be fine either way with jumppack removed or not but may I offer some suggestions should the jumppack NOT be removed:
1. Fix the ceiling glitch - is there some way we can run a script to stop the head from going thru the ceiling? I'm ignorant on this IDK if this is possible. Removing jumppack is A way, but my question is, is this the ONLY way?
2. Allow grapple exploit - who cares if someone travels a bit? just don't let them zoom over and over, then everyone can have some fun.
3. going up ramps etc - who cares? If it isn't an ACCESSIBLE area of the map then it needs to be patched and can be punished as an exploit. But if you are going up the ramp on Dimmsdale burb mart or on the side of fast food, who cares? You can still be shot.

While I am respectfully against removing jumppack, and I don't think its removal can be practically faciliated, I think a serious look at removing this should be considered, given the community support so far.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks