Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demote Inactive Staff
(07-30-2021, 08:04 PM)bryanbrr Wrote: If someone is coming back after YEARS they likely will not even try staffing.

sooooo why would we leave them with a staff rank
Can I ask what the point of removing them would be? It's not like there's a limited number of positions or a history of people coming back after years of inactivity and using their role to wreak havoc upon the server... So why not just leave it be and let them be demoted if it becomes necessary?
An argument older than the knife

I’ve leaned that dink makes the end decision but at the end of the day staff that are ancient actually do come back sometimes and then try it staff either badly or by old rules. The sheer amount of unknown tmods that come on and supposedly can just walk back in after years of not even being in the server. Or those who expressed they wished to be demoted and never wind up getting there by slipping through the cracks. 

There are points where it is apparent that staff members should be shown the door. Coming back after well over a year and trying to staff a server is a bad mix. Sometimes it works. But I demoted a bunch that would come back and abuse or cause other issues in the community, using the rank as some badge or reason. Granted not all, but for many it won’t affect them in the least.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
This idea would be doable for each server if we have an active member with role removable capabilities.  

Co-owner or something similar, where said person can add/remove roles to alleviate some of the tasks Dink himself would have/get to do. 

Unfortunately, we do not such a thing at this time... or should I say, yet.
(07-30-2021, 08:20 PM)Rich Kids on LSD Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 08:04 PM)bryanbrr Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 07:58 PM)JesseTheUndeadCowboy Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 07:38 PM)bryanbrr Wrote: asdf
I wouldn’t be worried. If someone is coming back after YEARS they likely will not even try staffing. They’ll likely jump on for an hour, goof around, and dip again for years. A case similar to what you are saying is DirtyPizza. He came back after years and wanted to staff again and reached out to make sure he knew the rules and was back in staff discord. He’s done nothing but good. So I worry very little about that issue.

Without throwing someone under the bus, some guy named (DEMON)Skullfire showed up the other day and I had no idea who that was (granted I've only been playing since early 2021, but actively with over 400 hours). This guy came on, barely knew what he was doing and RDM'd a bunch of times (edit: unintentionally) then administered decisions over reports involving himself (with other staff on) pretty much off cooldown. It's not like a massive deal but like... something has to give with some of these super old guy
either way, he’s a donor staff. he won’t get demoted

edit: other staff that were currently on shoulda took control
Inactive staff member here I really dont care either way what happens life is tough if you see the shit i deal with everyday rn you wouldnt want to deal with a gmod server when you get home regardless I have issues with other issues that staff know abt because I may not play but I still check the discord and staff discord and still would comment on discussions going on but things prevent me from doing that I know being on server is important but its not the end all be all and I still try to help with other things but I cant and that wasnt my decision
Garry's Mod is a game. Nothing that happens in Garry's Mod matters. It won't matter today, in a week, in a month, in a year, or ten years down the line when you have a family or are in a ditch somewhere.

Everyone here should be putting their real life priorities before anything that happens in this community or in this game. That is most important.

Given that, it is completely understandable that certain staff members do not have the time or ability to play the game regularly. That is totally fine. However, those staff members have a temporary but indefinite commitment to the community that they staff. Part of this commitment is being around, knowing the players, and making sure that people do not break rules.

As I mentioned, I completely understand why people stop playing or that they cannot play due to external factors but if they are not fulfilling their obligation and commitment, they should definitely be demoted. If staff members are inactive for X weeks, they should 100% be demoted. There is no point in having someone who does not contribute to the game or know the playerbase to differentiate between trouble making players and well behaved regulars. These players are just spectators on the forums and in the discord, talking about a variety of other topics unrelated to the game. If staff members do not help with ban requests, RDM reports, any other issues that occur, they should be demoted to the rank they previously held. Those individuals should be allowed to reapply for staff whenever they are able to play the game and contribute like their peers do.

I will not name names, however there are a lot of staff members who have not played their respective game modes or contributed whatsoever for months now. I see these staff members playing other games very regularly, which implies that they have time to play Garry's Mod but they choose not to. That's totally fine. These staff members do not deserve to have their ranks. They are still part of the community and may reapply whenever, but being inactive and speaking in the discord every once in a while as opposed to helping staff is unfair to peers who go out of their way to help and assist. At that point the inactive staff member has a 'prestigious' (not really prestigious, it's a fucking game that doesn't matter) title of Trusted, T-Mod, or Mod.

Demote inactive staff.
As someone who was eventually demoted from head mod, mainly due to quitting, i kinda get not wanting to lose your rank for being inactive. Maybe you come back some time later and still want to mod, but if you've been inactive/left the server for over a year, then do you really think it still makes sense to be a moderator for a community you left a long time ago? Over time, the community changes, old players leave and new players come. Over the 6 1/2 years ive been gone, only one or two of the old community still plays on the server. When I came back on the server, nobody knew who I was. Imagine, had I still had the "head mod" rank, how confused people, regulars/mods/admins, would be to see some random person they've never seen on the server before have the "head mod" rank. Bryanbrr thinks that inactive mods coming back after years wouldn't try staffing, but chances are, had I still had my rank, I would have tried staffing, even with the new rules, though its not like the games' radically changed over the years. Demoting inactive staff is just a way of cleaning house, making sure only the active staff stay staff. Being demoted after leaving the server for longer than a year shouldn't be surprising. The community changes, not even the dragon balls last forever.
haha imagine being pressed about losing your fake online “power” on a 1860s game made for kids
[Image: xdjlve.png]
(08-01-2021, 12:35 PM)jax Wrote: haha imagine being pressed about losing your fake online “power” on a 1860s game made for kids

Don't forget that a bunch of people here are actually kids or act like kids due to a lack of maturity or life experiences and can't differentiate between what's important and what isn't. It's sad that a lot of people waste either the majority or a large portion of their time playing video games and relying on virtual relationships with people through discords when everything and everyone is pixels that give you a little bit of dopamine now but will likely not have any type of impact on your life long term. Go get laid, nerds.